Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Newbie help needed on a 4.4 sdv8
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Alanv6

United Kingdom 
Newbie help needed on a 4.4 sdv8

Hi all. Thought I'd join the forum as I'm after some technical help with an l405 we've just fitted a replacement engine to.
So one of our customers, has a 2013 4.4 sdv8 and after lack of oil changes, the engine siezed up. They found a used alleged low mileage second hand engine and we fitted it last week. Now I was just about to carry out a roadtest and I could smell oil so double checked the top intercooler pipes for any oil,(I had already cleaned out both intercoolers and pipes due to some oil from the old engine) and I found alot of oil in them again, we drained out about 1.5 litres of oil from the intercoolers which alarmed us so assumed we had some possible turbo seal issues. After speaking to the breakers,they advised us the the engine had tipped over and that the oil was from the breathers and that we should run it with the turbo pipes disconnected and it will clear. I then noticed the the oil was indeed coming from the breather attached to the righthand turbo intake, it seems as if the turbo is sucking its engine oil from this breather, disconnect the breather that the turbos run clean, connect it back up and after about 2 hours on idle it's sucked 2 litres from the engine and out of the lower intercooler pipes and spits it into some trays we have underneath. Now I'm completely baffled and running out of ideas. LR dealer has never heard of it either. I've checked how the breather works on the old engine and can't work out how it can draw oil into the turbo.

Any pointers guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post #630823 6th May 2022 9:07pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

That pipe is the engine breather from the oil separator which is mounted in the block underneath the EGR cooler which is under the oil cooler. Perhaps the separator is partly blocked so isn't separating the oil from the air.

Is the secondary turbo's isolation valve operating correctly?

Post #630834 6th May 2022 10:19pm
Alanv6

United Kingdom 

Everything seems ok as far as I see it. The next step was to delve deeper into the breather separator and see it there was anything obvious there.

Post #630863 7th May 2022 8:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1