Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Ghost II immob / Warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Swasher

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey
Ghost II immob / Warranty

Hi all, can't say how overjoyed I am owning a FF after searching for the right spec / ext colour/int colour, etc since September..!!

My question is..erm..'hypothetical'....:
I've just had an LR Warranty added to my MD's sale, all good I thought.
After the paranoia of thinking I'd wake up with the FF missing from my driveway, until I found many refs to the Ghost II immobiliser.
Wow.. perfect..until I discovered LR states that the Warranty is invalidated by fitting it.

So... what are the chances of LR detecting that one has been fitted, hypothetically, OR.. is it impossible to switch it off (instead of going into 'Service' mode)..?

I am a newbie, with a lot to learn..
Bow down MY17 VSE FF Corris

Post #630997 8th May 2022 5:14pm
Bmax01

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I think fitting a Ghost may make it more difficult to make a warranty claim for electrical / wiring issues. But I don't see how LR can reasonably refuse to cover a mechanical issue just because you've had a Ghost fitted. But that's just my layman's opinion.

As to whether they can tell if you've fitted a Ghost if you've put it on valet mode, I don't think so necessarily unless it arms itself - which can happen if the garage takes it for a prolonged road test over 37 mph. So you should be fine.

Not helpful to you now you've had the Ghost fitted, but I went for a Starline i96 which is slightly more secure (much more difficult to override via the OBD port) but also allows you to totally switch off the immobiliser so very unlikely a MD garage would be aware you've had one fitted.

Good luck! L405 4.4 AB Loire Blue
Tesla Model Y
Audi A6 2012 (sold)
BMW 5 series 3.0 petrol, champagne II edition (sold)

Post #631277 11th May 2022 8:37am
Swasher

Thanks Bmax01, that's all very helpful.
I've not actually had a Ghost fitted - was just looking into all of the options, and didn't come across the i96...
It does look just right, given it offers the same disarming code option as well as the key fob/smartphone facility, and especially the 'switching off' function from the smartphone.
The thing that concerned me about the 'detection' of the Ghost if I went ahead, was having the car taken for a post-service roadtest, and it..erm..being gunned a bit (who wouldn't want to know how a 4.4 performs..?), thus switching the Ghost back on..
The price seems really comparable too, so did you see the installation of the Starline on your car..?

Bestest MY17 VSE FF Corris

Post #631311 11th May 2022 1:55pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

The early Ghost 1 caused issues as it was connected to Gearbox etc you could start the Engine but was unable to select gear.
JLR would not accept it etc as it created fault codes and alarm's etc

Now the Ghost 2 is wired to prevent Engine start no fault codes or alarm's are generated.

In previous old threads, it was reported that JLR would invalidate the warranty on the vehicle for any parts affected including wiring looms etc etc” Not the whole warranty is invalidated, now with Ghost 2 maybe they have changed their stance? no idea.

I think I have also seen threads some where Rolling with laughter memory Rolling with laughter the Ghost 2 was actually fitted at the dealers prior to delivery with no complaints from dealer, maybe its all changed?

If you do need warranty work on the Bus etc as a precaution, It is easy to remove and then re-fitted by the installer. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #631315 11th May 2022 2:21pm
Bmax01

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Hi Swasher - yeah I went for the Starline in the end as it had added functionality and was more secure. The guy who fitted it for me said that he had just fitted a Starline on a brand new BMW that morning at the dealership before the car was handed over.

I think the Starline is a bit more expensive as it takes longer to fit than a Ghost - otherwise they are similar products. Youtube is your friend if you need to know more! L405 4.4 AB Loire Blue
Tesla Model Y
Audi A6 2012 (sold)
BMW 5 series 3.0 petrol, champagne II edition (sold)

Post #631318 11th May 2022 2:32pm
Swasher

Thanks KOT, what impressed me most about this FF Forum was the level of help available from all kinds of experienced owners..
I've been looking at your posts on DPF trigger points/regeneration, and started to get more concerned about oil dilution - until I resigned myself to the resolve of having to do 6 monthly oil changes (well, one mid-year, and the other at the Yearly LR service).
Having seen how relatively easy it was on YouTube (my previous experience with V8s was completely stripping and rebuilding an old SD1 Rover 3.5 engine centuries ago), I guess another purchase before Oct will be a Vaccuum oil suction thingy..

Bow down MY17 VSE FF Corris

Post #631319 11th May 2022 2:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1