Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > MPG check
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver
MPG check

Hi, I thought I would check on what it will be costing me to travel? I have just had a run-out with the caravan, Kent to devon first time this year,
I filled the tank, and set the trip, 288 miles later the next day I filled the tank again To check what was used? The gun stopped at 54 litres,
my maths is not good but from what I worked out that's 26.6 mpg?
So it's a big twin-axle 2-ton beast, I don,t think that's too bad for style and comfort.

Would I not get 288 miles on an electric car towing the caravan without stopping a couple of times?

Post #631584 14th May 2022 7:35am
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Interesting idea about electric towing, however, I would say that this will be a non starter for some time......because....

The only fully electric car I have found so far that can tow 2250Kg is the Tesla Model X which seems to start at around about the £80,000 mark Shocked ( Someone will probably prove I am wrong in the next post Thud )

My quick research suggests that you would not get there on one charge when towing a van like that, at least one stop would be needed. Even with the more expensive larger capacity Tesla battery pack.

Until things change, you would not be able to get into a charging spot with the van hooked up, so drop van off, charge up, then re-hook van. Mind you, you will have somewhere nice to brew up and relax whilst the car charges up Very Happy

Methinks it will be some time before you see all electric cars regularly towing vans, especially the size of yours. Obviously I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time Whistle

Post #631589 14th May 2022 8:41am
Tinman

Your points are well made.

There is a whole industry connected to the caravaning scene, can you imagine the waiting to get charged, blocking the access trying to reverse in and out seems to be a long way off
at the moment.

If France cuts off the electricity we won't have enough to charge the cars anyway?

As you say I could be wrong with my assumptions.

Post #631591 14th May 2022 9:25am
Full-fat-Lance

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Only a very small proportion of electric comes from France. Over the last week, we’ve be consistently exporting about 2GW to them: https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Electric vehicles and towing has been an issue, it mostly because the electric vehicles we’ve seen are not the sort of vehicles you would tow with anyway (small family cars). As more manufacturers switch over to electric for their entire range, we’ll see larger vehicles with larger batteries which are more suited. Probably still won’t be as easy as towing with an ICE and certainly as mentioned stopping to charge would be a faff until long vehicles are being accommodated for.

Post #631593 14th May 2022 9:35am
Martin2

England 

Very Happy

Merchy wrote:
Interesting idea about electric towing, however, I would say that this will be a non starter for some time......because....

The only fully electric car I have found so far that can tow 2250Kg is the Tesla Model X which seems to start at around about the £80,000 mark Shocked ( Someone will probably prove I am wrong in the next post Thud )

My quick research suggests that you would not get there on one charge when towing a van like that, at least one stop would be needed. Even with the more expensive larger capacity Tesla battery pack.

Until things change, you would not be able to get into a charging spot with the van hooked up, so drop van off, charge up, then re-hook van. Mind you, you will have somewhere nice to brew up and relax whilst the car charges up Very Happy

Methinks it will be some time before you see all electric cars regularly towing vans, especially the size of yours. Obviously I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time Whistle

Not quite the next post…. Very Happy The BMW iX can tow 2,500kg MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid
MY19 SDV8 Autobiography - Sold

Post #631613 14th May 2022 1:01pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Knew it, I just bloody knew it would happen..... Censored Thud .............. Thumbs Up

Post #631616 14th May 2022 1:20pm
Tinman

I think you will find that a lot of manufacturers state that the vehicles can pull in a straight line at a certain weight, but the safe towing weight of the vehicle has to be heavier than the trailer that it is towing 85% rule?
My caravan unladen 1800kg approx 2000kg loaded the car can pull it for about 500miles without a stop, I know it will cost a body limb to fill it but it did not when it was new.
I remember when we were told to go out and buy an oil burn with cash incentives look how that turned out.
I think I will end up buying a horse to pull the caravan and probably end up upsetting someone with that. Rolling with laughter

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving...o-work-it-

out/https://electrictowcars.co.uk/bmw-ix/

Post #631622 14th May 2022 2:31pm
Martin2

England 

Merchy wrote:
Knew it, I just bloody knew it would happen..... Censored Thud .............. Thumbs Up

Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid

Post #631638 14th May 2022 5:26pm
Martin2

England 

Tinman wrote:
I think you will find that a lot of manufacturers state that the vehicles can pull in a straight line at a certain weight, but the safe towing weight of the vehicle has to be heavier than the trailer that it is towing 85% rule?
My caravan unladen 1800kg approx 2000kg loaded the car can pull it for about 500miles without a stop, I know it will cost a body limb to fill it but it did not when it was new.
I remember when we were told to go out and buy an oil burn with cash incentives look how that turned out.
I think I will end up buying a horse to pull the caravan and probably end up upsetting someone with that. Rolling with laughter

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving...o-work-it-

out/https://electrictowcars.co.uk/bmw-ix/

The 85% ‘rule’ is going to be less of a problem with an EV than a combustion engined car! MY23 Panamera E-Hybrid

Post #631639 14th May 2022 5:27pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Hi Alex
My VM comes in at a weighty 2500kg and I manage to return about 21mpg on the level (or rather the car does). Uphill I’ve seen 6-7mpg which at todays prices is concerning. There’s a video from Carwow on YouTube showing that towing a caravan with an electric vehicle reduces the range by half. I think a new FFRR PHEV is the answer and I’ve already started on the wife.
Huw

Post #631701 15th May 2022 10:30am
Mr Tee

Scotland 

Lol, I’ve seen it down to 7 booting it out of an uphill junction . Does surprise alot of folk just how quick I can be with the sdv8. I average about the same , low 20’s with an 8m long 8ft wide buccaneer.

Post #631704 15th May 2022 11:16am
Huwrhys

I think it’s the biggest issue of all regarding fuel consumption is driving up Telegraph hill in Devon passing solo cars at 60mph.
I’ve watched the instant mpg go as low as 4mpg with a boot full. 🙄

Post #631708 15th May 2022 11:27am
Tinman

HI Huw
That Telegraph Hill is killer for smaller engine cars the big V8 passing them effortlessly is a surprise to many?
I did the fuel check just out of curiosity as I did not want to believe the computer on the car?
I reckon you are going to have to get a lot of brownie points with the wife to swing a new Fattie Rolling with laughter
I have been looking at 18 plate SDV8 for a little while, but only did 5.4k on mine last year seems a lot of money just sitting there? Waiting for the right colour and spec if I make the jump. My car is on top form with no codes for a change? Rolling with laughter

The VM is booked in with Steve at the end of next month for service and upgrades to the power system, also some small dints were done before my ownership.

Post #631729 15th May 2022 2:27pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey
Re: MPG check

Tinman wrote:
my maths is not good but from what I worked out that's 26.6 mpg?

You're right..... Your maths aren't great!!!

It's actually 24.25 mpg. Whistle

Still not bad for lugging a big tin tent though. Wink The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #631732 15th May 2022 2:51pm
Huwrhys

I’m fitting a 150w solar panel to mine soon to get over the problem of overcharging batteries. I’m on my third in five years. At least the solar charge controller is smart enough to stop once fully charged. I’ve been fitting mine out with smart stuff to entertain myself like awning, lounge lights and kettle as well as A/C and roof vent. The tv works by voice also which all annoys the Mrs but I find it fun. I can turn the kettle and lights on as I approach the site so it’s all ready as I open the door for a nice cuppa. Rolling with laughter
I didn’t mention the need for a lotto win for the new FFRR?

Post #631734 15th May 2022 2:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>