Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Drivers seat screeching in "Entry mode"? (RESOLVED
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
johnb8538

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Fuji White
Drivers seat screeching in "Entry mode"? (RESOLVED

Before I attempt any dismantling has anyone had the drivers seat start to "screech", like metal on metal for a few seconds as the seat moves into position on entry mode? Sounds like a bit of lubrication needed or perhaps a little rubber/plastic washer has maybe failed and hence the noise. Only does it when you are sitting on it (under load) and no noise whilst driving. Can be a little embarrassing when someone gets in "lovely car mate, oh dear god what's that horrible noise" as I sit red faced. Smile

Last edited by johnb8538 on 14th Jun 2022 10:37am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #629357 22nd Apr 2022 9:08am
jettec

Australia 2013 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Fuji White

Your pet Hamster is not missing is it?

Post #629471 23rd Apr 2022 1:58am
johnb8538

haha thankfully no!

I've been through the wiki guides and there's a good chance the frame underneath just needs tightened and a little lubrication. Ill post some pictures to help others if i solve it.

Post #629678 25th Apr 2022 1:43pm
horse86

United States 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

LOL! funny that you mention this. Mine JUST started doing it. When you get in and hit the start button and the seat raises/ or when you are about to get out and the seat lowers it would squeak. I got a flashlight and some lubricating spray/oil and under neat the seat you will see the spiral threads the seats moves on to go up and down. (will help if you stick your head under while hitting a seat memory button to get it to move around). Hit that with some lube. I couldn't reach the other side by the center console but just hitting the door side underseat track with oil seemed to fix it. 2014 FF Autobiography 5.0 SC
2008 FFRR (sold)
2008 BMW M5

Post #629803 26th Apr 2022 6:43pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

……………… “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Last edited by Gremlin500 on 9th Apr 2024 11:04pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #629924 27th Apr 2022 8:22pm
johnb8538

Possibly solved!!!
After attempting to grease the guide rails which the seat base slides up and down driven by a motor i still had this screeching/grinding noise. It became clear it was like a motor slipping and struggling. Funny thing is, it would only happen in easy entry mode as the seat moved you into driving position, not exit mode, not even if i sat there for twenty minutes moving every button in every conceivable direction. I undid the four bolts holding the seat to the floor and watched the seat bottom from beneath as every movement was made. There are three different drive motors under the seat and although i couldn't recreate the grinding noise with the seat detached at least one of the motors was making more of a vibration than the others. It was the one that tilts the base as the seat moves you forward and up into driving position that you have saved in the memory. it felt warm after a while whilst the others didn't. I greased the rod that passes through that motor just to see if it helps for now but it was a good opportunity to get the motor number. Probably will be fiddly if I have to replace it but it doesn't appear to be too expensive in the big scheme of things.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #632190 18th May 2022 10:45pm
johnb8538

Whether it was due to me applying some grease to the seat rod that passes through the motor or simply the fact I moved the seat in every direction to "stretch" all its movements again, it hasn't made a noise since and works perfectly. Simple things haha.

Post #634590 14th Jun 2022 10:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1