Home > Technical (L405) > Squeaking brakes at low speed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bedwards

United Kingdom 
Squeaking brakes at low speed

Hello all,

A week into ownership of my new 2017 Vogue Autobiography and I've noticed the brakes squeaking when in traffic / at low speeds.

Fast forward a few weeks and it's been into the dealership who inspected the brakes and concluded all it needed was a re glaze, which they did and seemed to fix the issue for a few days.

However, took the car out recently and the brake squeak has returned. It's booked in to go back to the dealer in a week or so time but just wondering if others here have had the same issue?

I've read online that even new pads and disks can create a squeak and can take some time to wear in but would be interested to hear others experiences and solutions. Can't work out if the dealer (who has been pretty terrible so far) is just trying to fob me off rather than actually solving the issue.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post #636173 6th Jul 2022 1:18pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

If you are in the habit of 'comfort braking' then the pads & discs will be forever glazing up, de-glazing them will only last a short while, particularly if the discs have become discoloured (i.e. the metal has changed state / hardness). In my experience, most cases of brake noise due to glazed pads and / or discs is down to poor driving habits. The rest is down to contamination or the car being stood for some time - this will show up, particularly on the inner face, as pitting or 'Saturns Rings' of corrosion.
Also have a look at the brake discs, if there is a lip on the outer edge greater than 1.5mm, this can create a 'hot spot' along the edge of the pad, which will squeal when hot - but again, if the brakes are being over-applied, then the heat has nowhere to go....

Post #636176 6th Jul 2022 3:00pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Having had a similar issue with rear brakes and everything being cleaned or replaced (I've got an L322 so, time is right to replace brake components) discs, pads, shoes, retainers, grease, hoses, shims, calipers - the lot! The conclusion is between the pads and the discs - either differing materials or a surface created on the pads as a result of lack of / hard braking.

The solution seems to be matched discs/pads or to lightly sand the surface of the pads then refit. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #636212 6th Jul 2022 11:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1