Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General (L460 2022) > Should I order a second L460?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
aja500

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aruba
Should I order a second L460?

I originally ordered a P530 back in late September / early October, changing it to a P440e PHEV in March, yet I'm still floating round in a holding pool like a dead fish!

I'm beginning to wonder, how it's decided that an order leaves the holding pool - Is there some kind of order date sequence, is it based on each dealerships allocation, or is it simply Pot Luck??

Does anyone really know how this process of progression from holding pool works?

With the above in mind, I'm beginning to wonder, shall I place another order with a different dealer and see which car gets built first. I'm sure the dealer won't have any problem finding somebody to take immediate delivery if I pull out of one build.

Can anyone shed any light on the process, and also whether you think it's worth me placing a second new order elsewhere?

Post #636126 5th Jul 2022 6:54pm

United Kingdom 

Putting in an order with another dealer has crossed my mind too but I think it's a bit late for that now. I should have done it months ago and ordered a p510 as well as the p530 I ordered a year ago. Even if I ordered a diesel in SE or HSE spec now (which are the ones that are being delivered in the largest numbers at the moment) I am going to be at the end of a long queue and unlikely to get it before my existing order. Besides, I would rather buy something else than have a diesel anyway.

As far as I can find out, every month they plan a build schedule based on what parts they have. I don't think they are planning far ahead at all. How they decide what to build from those parts each month I have no idea. How they prioritise between countries, dealers, individual customers is presumably only known by a relatively small circle in JLR.

Post #636129 5th Jul 2022 7:58pm
aja500

I agree that I wouldn't want to change to a diesel, although I'm sure the one's being built now are quite refined.

I think I'm going to get another order in elsewhere, just to see what happens - It'll be in interesting experiment and despite the looming economic crisis, I think as long as I'm not expecting a profit, I shouldn't lose out.

Will update on the outcome in the next 6-12 months.

Post #636138 5th Jul 2022 10:09pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Diesel?
I would buy diesel. The new engines are euro7 compliant which means in terms of particulates insignificant. Those that hate cars are pointing out that electric vehicles shed more particulate through tyre wear and tear. Only offset by the term prudent driving . As far as I know I would drive an electric the same way as any other car.

So diesel v petrol.? A diesel has less c02.

On the plus side a petrol car has much more vroom vroom….whereas a diesel has more than enough for me.
Interesting to know why you choose /prefer petrol, which in all honesty I wouldn’t want to afford!

Best

Bill
Ps I understand the new diesel is a mild hybrid. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #636223 7th Jul 2022 8:30am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

They’re Euro 6, the Euro 7 requirements haven’t been agreed yet (and I expect there’s no realistic chance of any new big diesel cars being available then in an attempt to meet them).

Post #636228 7th Jul 2022 8:42am
Chalky

United Kingdom 

My car has a D300 MHEW engine and is superb, quick, quiet and economical. Wouldn't buy anything else on a FFRR, unless towing, then maybe a D350 Thumbs Up All LR cars from 1984
2021.5 Vogue SE D300 Carpathian Grey
2018 Vogue SE British Racing Green GONE

Post #636232 7th Jul 2022 9:07am

United Kingdom 

Sorry but the FFRR is all about luxury. NVH levels with a diesel does not cut it. It doesn’t matter how good the diesel installation is, it is never as good as petrol or electric.

Post #636285 7th Jul 2022 9:34pm
aja500

I have to agree with 5.0 on this, although I am a little bit divided and I do think diesels have come on a long way.

Firstly, petrols - I currently have a 2021 5.0 SC AB Petrol, and to be honest I like it but I'm not crazy about it.
This car encourages me to drive way too fast and when I do so, particularly across Europe where a steady 95-100mph is easily done, I'm looking at just 19-20mpg and lots of petrol station stops, which becomes tiresome. That said, I did a steady drive from Sussex to Yorkshire last week and got 27.5mpg, which I thought was pretty good.

I also have a 2007 L322 4.4 Jaguar V8 Petrol which I wouldn't swop for the world. This is used for local runs, the engine is quiet, silky smooth and in traffic, you don't hear a thing. The characteristics of the L322 also never make me want to drive it hard, it's just a joy to waft round in

I previously had a 2016/66 L405 4.4 TDV8 which I also really liked and used primarily for motorway driving. If I'm honest, the noise from the engine never really bothered me, and on the motorway, was no different really in terms of noise level to the 5.0 Petrol. So I think it depends on where you're driving. If I was sat in traffic commuting into London everyday, with lots of stop start, I wouldn't have a diesel, but for 90%+ motorway and A road driving, then I definitely would consider one.

As for the PHEV's, it's simple..... I've ordered it so that my company pays for it, which in turn reduces company profits and therefore the amount of tax it pays. Benefit in kind for me, with just 20kg CO2 is chicken feed, circa £3.5k - £4k per annum. Compare this to me having to pay tax on earning the £140k to enable an outright purchase, and the difference is massive.

This is why myself and many others are going that way. That combined with the silence I'm expecting when driving locally and in traffic.

Post #636289 7th Jul 2022 10:08pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I drove a demo D350 this week for a couple of hours over a variety of local roads. It was very quiet and pulled really smoothly, more so then my current SDV8. I’m happy with my choice of engine.

Also the dealer said he was telling current buyers that there’s a 2.5 year waiting time and said several with orders in now had placed another order. He thinks (but I know he hasn’t a clue) that my D350 HSE will be delivered this autumn (order placed last Nov) at which point I’ll probably put another order in and hopefully benefit from low depreciation over the next couple of years. What is there to lose from doing so when the deposit is fully refundable?

Oh, and the new one is lovely to drive. The demo was a SE so I’m unsure if it had the adaptive suspension, even so driven back to back with my MY19 L405, the ride, comfort and handling were significantly improved. It was quieter too. MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #636569 10th Jul 2022 11:51am
RRover

2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Causeway Grey

Bill wrote:
Diesel?
I would buy diesel. The new engines are euro7 compliant which means in terms of particulates insignificant. Those that hate cars are pointing out that electric vehicles shed more particulate through tyre wear and tear. Only offset by the term prudent driving . As far as I know I would drive an electric the same way as any other car.

So diesel v petrol.? A diesel has less c02.

On the plus side a petrol car has much more vroom vroom….whereas a diesel has more than enough for me.
Interesting to know why you choose /prefer petrol, which in all honesty I wouldn’t want to afford!

Best

Bill
Ps I understand the new diesel is a mild hybrid.

I find it incredible how much hatred has been waged against the good old reliable diesel considering that only 4 or 5 years ago two well respected and in-depth German reports came out ( I recall reading them - tis why I opted, eventually, for my 2012 westy) that clearly indicated that the diesel engine outstripped the petrol and or other engine as far as REAL environmental issues are/were concerned. I find the newer environmental HYPE on emissions and preferred classifications (European classifications - come on!!!) a whole heap of smouldering poo-poo...
So when they get rid of our diesels, and then all petrol, and we are left with only the unsustainable (for the future) electric gimmicks (which will last 5-10 years max [the whole electric car thing I mean] and we are left with only bicycles, which they will probably ban also eventually: how do we get around then?
Oh... I forgot!!! That's exactly what THEY want...
Can no one else see the greater build back better picture on the wall?
Or is my tin-foil hat simply in need of some serious adjustment?!
As for the eco-car fanatics: have you done any research into the Congo lately? You know... as far as raw materials for the electric gimmickry goes? And that's only the beginning of the problem/s...

Last edited by RRover on 12th Jul 2022 1:40pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #636705 12th Jul 2022 9:46am
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I generally share your views on the direction of global policy (WEF) for future vehicle usage. Plus these batteries require a lot of fossil fuel to charge them, never mind the production/decommission costs/impact. I don’t buy all this climate stuff any longer having seen how manipulated populations were/are over Covid. So I’m sticking with a diesel RR for now as it suits my usage more than the other options. MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #636708 12th Jul 2022 10:34am
RRover

phil...

Glad to see that someone has at least the 'ability' to see through the planned agenda these days - and the convids or the scamdemic propaganda (ok yes there are 'some' connective circumstances with the so-called covids) poured over us this past two years should be ringing alarm bells from every town and street in our collective lands.
And yeah: we can do better climate and or environment (THEY take all the (tax) money supposedly directed at it and it ends up in THEIR pockets) but our taxes are not going on good real environmental management initiatives. The climate will change again and again as it always has done (been getting cooler for up to 6-years in real time now... solar minimum activity) and there is very little we can do even sensibly and collectively to change this. You can't bully the sun, and the rest of the heavens, and the unchanging earth on this one.
I love my 4.4 diesel whatever the general pathological consensus.
When will Jeremy Vine get dragged into court, is what I want to know next! Laughing

Post #636718 12th Jul 2022 1:59pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

Philip wrote:
They’re Euro 6, the Euro 7 requirements haven’t been agreed yet (and I expect there’s no realistic chance of any new big diesel cars being available then in an attempt to meet them).

Sorry u are right, euro 7 is 2025??? Or so. I misheard the chat during the first look at the new L460

I’m sure he meant ULEZ compliant , which the current cars are anyway

I would expect them to meet the regs if any large car can. Diesel v petrol emissions of particulates are probably similar.

Emission analytical who have made a business out of emmissions, no longer beleive tail pipe particulates are significant enough to bother with. They now concentrate on wear and tear tyre particles. https://www.emissionsanalytics.com/news/ga...sing-tread
and plastic particles from the cabin fixtures and fittings . The latter naturally degrade and are fairly nasty. That’s a Thumbs Up for leather unless they tell us next week it’s treated in some way .

Anyway EA really don’t like electrical cars as apparently the tyre wear is worse. Their web site has info , lots of good stuff. Well worth signing up for their newsletter.

https://www.emissionsanalytics.com/ Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #636727 12th Jul 2022 3:06pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

RRover wrote:

Or is my tin-foil hat simply in need of some serious adjustment?!
As for the eco-car fanatics: have you done any research into the Congo lately? You know... as far as raw materials for the electric gimmickry goes? And that's only the beginning of the problem/s...

I think your tin hat needs no adjustment. I really think the diesel is the most eco friendly car.

My issue is they are going to stop selling them in 2030… which means the R&D will stop, so they will be stuck in a time warp around 2025… and that’s a shame, and I don’t believe it’s good for the environment.

Electric sounds great, & when I’m slight,y bonkers , just telling the car to take me to France sounds great………but an article about the joys( not) of owning/buying an iPace in The Times on Sunday is enough to put you off any electric for some while. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

Post #636729 12th Jul 2022 3:15pm
RRover

Bill...

I wonder what will happen first...

A slight increase or upgrade of the electric matrix in UK or elsewhere and also eco-car sales increases gives them the confidence to go all-electric - and thus it inevitably fails, because demand outstrips supply and so the whole travel system grinds to a halt, as mostly their is/are only enough raw materials for the batteries ALONE for full production [you know - getting everyone going as now] for 3-5 years at most... Then once the mats are used up - what then? Fart power? Boris has been blowing smelly wind and hot air for long enough, maybe he could power the future?
Many sources within the motor industry are suggesting that as prices for the reducing numbers of reliable diesel & petrol vehicles are steadily increasing, hang on to them, and the value will soar, as either the failed eco push [whenever it happens] creates either a French revolution style uprising (I can get hold of plenty of strong rope Thumbs Up ) or there will be a sudden clammer of desperation to bring back the KNOWN reliable mode or method of vehicle transport - until something REAL happens in the future that will take us to that place.
The Matrix will never fully get off the ground - and THEY know this, as they have other things planned for us MAJORITY of decent working folk.
Low car battery anxiety is a very real thing: just ask my psychologist friend all about it...
And remember what happened in Canada!!! And if they manage to get us off cash... They could/can switch us off from everything in the blink of a corporate tech eye...
Or: think of something between China and N Korea...
OH AND: they don't give a giddy aunt's toss about the climate or the environment. They've made so much money from lowly workers/tax payers this last two years especially they are proper giddy themselves on the ££££££££££ fumes...

Post #636742 12th Jul 2022 5:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1