Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Tyre rotation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
cxdood

United States 2016 Range Rover HSE 3.0 SC V6 Santorini Black
Tyre rotation

The manual for my Range Rover L405 says to not rotate tires. Yet the Land Rover dealership that services the car wants to rotate tires during its one year service.

Who should I trust? Pros/cons of rotating tyres. L405 2016 - Supercharged V6 petrol 380hp

Post #639236 10th Aug 2022 10:20pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

I don’t strictly rotate mine as it’s bad for the carcass / tyre construction. What I do is shift the front tyres to the back and vice Versa - i.e the rotation remains the same. I want all my tyres to wear out at the same time - it’s a pet hate of mine having new tyres on the front and old on the rear - I would rather just go to the tyre depo once and have done with it and have nice new tyres all round. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #639240 10th Aug 2022 11:25pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Based on my 322 experience the different tyre wear depending on position on the car can cause wobbles and poorer handling if the wheels are rotated, especially with blockier off road type patterns, at least until the tyres bed in to their new positions.

I don't rotate on my 405 and have my summer and winter wheels marked on removal so they go back in the same place.

My experience on RRs in general is that unless the alignment is off at the front, tyre wear is broadly similar all round, so one can just replace the set of four, again this is what LR recommend. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #639383 12th Aug 2022 10:48am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

when mine goes into the dealer for service i always tell them to leave the wheels/tyres as they are..they're happy to do that as its one less job for them. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #639392 12th Aug 2022 11:46am
cxdood

Vogue wrote:
I don’t strictly rotate mine as it’s bad for the carcass / tyre construction. What I do is shift the front tyres to the back and vice Versa - i.e the rotation remains the same.

What you are describing doing - moving the front wheels to the back and the back wheels to the front - is what the dealers would do here. That's one way of doing tire rotation in the US.

By "I don’t strictly rotate mine" do you mean that you reposition them side to side? I don't think the Land Rover dealers here do that either. I don't think it's possible with tires that are directional - made to rotate in a certain direction. Unless you dismount the tires from the rims.

My question was just why the manual and the official dealership seems to disagree. Who is right?

I change the winter/summer wheels myself, and it's not extra work to switch the front and back when the wheels are off anyway. I just wonder which is best, to rotate front to back or not. I wonder why the Land Rover manual would recommend against it. Wouldn't it be good to even out the wear between front and back? L405 2016 - Supercharged V6 petrol 380hp

Post #639432 12th Aug 2022 6:38pm
cxdood

Vogue wrote:
My experience on RRs in general is that unless the alignment is off at the front, tyre wear is broadly similar all round, so one can just replace the set of four, again this is what LR recommend.

If wear is similar on all positions it would make sense to not rotate them. I just wonder why an official dealership would do something that the manual says not to do and if Land Rover would not stop them from doing that. L405 2016 - Supercharged V6 petrol 380hp

Post #639433 12th Aug 2022 6:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1