Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Deployable side steps - is this strange...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
comports

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Mariana Black
Deployable side steps - is this strange...

Hi all,

Enjoying my new L405 very much - getting to know some of the extra 'features' that the car comes with... but...

When I exit the car and lock it the step retreat bck to the undeployed state and all is good.
When I exit the can but don't lock it (like in my garage) the steps return as above, however when I return to the car some time later they are always deployed....?

Is this normal...? wondering if the frequencies of my gates or electric garage doors are causeing them to deploy..?

Can someone confirm the expected behaviour once I leave the car..?

Thanks Ash
------------------------------------------------------
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #641167 28th Aug 2022 6:53am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Mine return in and stay in until the door is opened, I’ve got my RR set to keyless entry. Yours are either faulty or an electronic signal is causing them to deploy. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #641169 28th Aug 2022 7:01am
comports

Thanks for confirming Vogue.

Will ask the dealer when it goes in for a warranty claim on the rear seat climate/seat controls.

Thumbs Up Ash
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #641171 28th Aug 2022 7:15am
V8Noise

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Carpathian Grey

I double lock my car. When I return and unlock on the fob, both steps deploy on unlocking. Is this what you've got. 2017 5.0 Autobiography Supercharged
2005 Merc SL350
2005 Disco HSE 2.7 oil burner

Post #641176 28th Aug 2022 7:19am
comports

Not really V8,

When I lock the car (single at least, not tried double) eveything works fine - they retract and stay there.

It's only when I leave the car but don't lock it. They operate normally on exiting the car (ie open when I open the door and close when I close it).... but coming back to the car later (having not locked it) they are open again.... Ash
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #641184 28th Aug 2022 7:48am
Tinman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Silicon Silver

It's a good indication that you have not Locked the car mine do as yours retract after leaving(door`s close) but then deploy until I lock the car.

Post #641191 28th Aug 2022 8:49am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

comports wrote:
Thanks for confirming Vogue.

Will ask the dealer when it goes in for a warranty claim on the rear seat climate/seat controls.

Thumbs Up

Just to make you aware, most Main-agents try to wriggle out of Warranty claims (particularly extended warranty claims) on Deployable sidesteps if they were fitted as a dealer fit accessory. The only way they will entertain a claim is if they came fitted with them as a Factory option and they usually want to see the original invoice to prove they were not dealer fitted. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #641208 28th Aug 2022 11:17am
comports

Quote:
Just to make you aware, most Main-agents try to wriggle out of Warranty claims (particularly extended warranty claims) on Deployable sidesteps if they were fitted as a dealer fit accessory. The only way they will entertain a claim is if they came fitted with them as a Factory option and they usually want to see the original invoice to prove they were not dealer fitted.

Typical - considering I'm not the original owner I would have no idea if they were fitted from the factory - And I doubt I can find out..!

I didn't buy the car from a main agent and the car came with an 'all inclusive 12 month RAC warranty - including wear and tear'... We'll see how that goes when I walk to them about it.

Thanks again Vogue Ash
2016 SDV8 AB

Post #641210 28th Aug 2022 11:30am
Olders

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Re: Deployable side steps - is this strange...

comports wrote:
Hi all,

Enjoying my new L405 very much - getting to know some of the extra 'features' that the car comes with... but...

When I exit the car and lock it the step retreat bck to the undeployed state and all is good.
When I exit the can but don't lock it (like in my garage) the steps return as above, however when I return to the car some time later they are always deployed....?

Is this normal...? wondering if the frequencies of my gates or electric garage doors are causeing them to deploy..?

Can someone confirm the expected behaviour once I leave the car..?

Thanks

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue on my 2016 AB. If I leave the car unlocked, the side steps will deploy after approx. 10 mins (doesn’t happen when locked).

I too thought it was a fault but I have now done quite a lot of digging on this and can confirm it is normal operation on 2016 cars (I think ‘14 & ‘15 as well).

I believe the thought process is that it provides a visual indicator that you have forgotten to lock the car.

They changed this on (I think) 2017MY onwards - possibly 2019 onwards. I have had this confirmed by both my local independent (who is very knowledgeable and did his own investigations into the matter to confirm it) and from first hand evidence: I have two friends with the same age vehicles and it is exactly the same on theirs, another with a 2019 car does not have the same functionality.

I am pretty certain this is correct info.

Cheers. -----------------------------------------------
2016MY FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Loire Blue
2007MY FFRR 3.6 TDV8 Vogue SE Tonga Green

Post #644940 6th Oct 2022 5:18pm
marcochezzi

South Africa 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White

My MY 14 steps stay up once I close the door, irrespective if locked or not.

Open the door and the step on the open door side pops down, close it and she retreats back up again..

I never lock my fattie at night, she sleeps in a locked up garage, and have never been met with steps down in the morning.

Steps were a factory fit on mine..

Post #645001 7th Oct 2022 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1