Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > MB CLK Convertible
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue
MB CLK Convertible

Hi all

I’m thinking of scratching an itch with a CLK soft top, it’ll also do for knocking around, save loading miles onto the fatty.

Anyway, I’m looking at a low mileage 2006 350 V6; does anyone have much experience of these, I’ve never had a merc before. I’ve had a look at a few and also at parts - which seem pretty reasonable from breakers or OEM.

I’d be interested to hear any good or bad points and also, if there is an oracle such as this place for MB owners.

Cheers all

Jools

Post #641917 3rd Sep 2022 10:23pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

Makes sure it's had transmission oil & filter changes on or before due, Merc. ragtops are usually low mileage as they're bought to satisfy some sort of mid-life crisis and only used in favourable weather, consequently they'll have corroded brakes and the original tyres with decent tread but badly aged and cracking. Battery will also be on it's way out, as will the ABS block, which weirdly doesn't like standing around for months on end.
As for the ragtop itself, open it 50% and check for worn / fraying tensioning cords and water trapped in the seals - also the 'A' pillar drains and the scuttle drains tend to get blocked.
Due to standing around doing nothing or very short journeys, the wheel speed sensors and / or reluctor rings tend to lose their ability to work - oh, the petrol ones have a filter in the tank that requires most of the boot stripping to change...
Airscarf is a gimmick at best and a fortune to fix until the next issue arises...

Apart from that, they're OK - if that's what you want.

Post #641920 3rd Sep 2022 10:35pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

The wife had a w208 for a few years, and replaced it with the w209, same colour and the 3.5 v6 engine. Have .to say, both were great cars. Rust was an issue on the older one, but only minor bits. The newer one, has been great up till about a fortnight ago, when a mysterious battery drain ha appeared, it looks like I’ve got I located on the seat motor modules, under the seats. Other than that I can’t say anything bad about the car. Had front suspension arms, Tyres and basic servicing, a great drive, comfortable, and quiet at speed. They are cheap for the presence, and good on fuel on a cruise. 40mpg Easy

Post #641923 3rd Sep 2022 11:26pm
JoolsB

Thanks for the insight, the one I’m looking at is a low miler so will definitely have stood around for a bit. Like I say, it’s just for a bit of fun, but I’ve put nearly 24k on the fatty in the last18 months, so I’d also like to save a bit of wear and tear. At around 4K it’s a lot of car for the money and I can’t really think of anything else that I’d like as a cheap runabout.

Post #641993 4th Sep 2022 8:40pm
johnboyairey

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

they are a good looking car for the money, and won't look too bad in a few years time, unlike some other mercedes offerings... we had the elegance model, and now have the Avantguard model. (both silver!) the older one had brown wood, and grey seats which sort of conflicted. but AG has black seats, and aluminium trim. some wheels look better than others, and a lot of common parts are on its sister car the C class. as i said, the front suspension recently needed all arms, and was clunking over speed bumps a little, and we have a problem with one of the seat 'brain' modules. but no trim rattles, or broken 'things' like mirror motors, and radio etc. one thing you notice though getting out of the thing, is a whole lot harder, than the fatty! but im not young anymore! also, the rear seats are actually useable, unlike other similar cars. its odd these days, that a once premium brand like mercedes, has so many models, and the secondhand values of nearly all of them, get towards 'banger' money. a shame....but even the coupe looks nice in its pillarless design, with all the windows down, and we've had no issues with the hood, ever. ours is on 100k. on the 350 engine, there is a balance shaft that can produce slack in the timing chain. if you have any errors, it could be a battering point. theres a youtube on how to check it with some sight holes, and turning engine over with ratchet on pulley wheel etc. -that reminds me we had to change the front damper pulley early on, as it was delaminating. (£100)

Post #642157 6th Sep 2022 12:12pm
JoolsB

I know what you mean about getting in and out - starting to have the same problem with the defender, I might have to invest in some old fellas steps.

Post #642215 6th Sep 2022 6:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1