Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Help prospective new owner with tow bar and roof rails.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
S60R

United Kingdom 
Help prospective new owner with tow bar and roof rails.

Hi all,

I’m about to view a couple of 5.0’s….after agreeing a sale on my D4.

I’m wondering how the roof bars fit to the L332… do they require rails and t tracks or is there a flap which pops up and allows fitting? I’m looking at genuine LR rails but see no way of fitting them to the car and I’m hoping to avoid full length rails.

Also if I get one without a towbar, (I’m ok with fitting one myself) - can anyone recommend best one to get? I really want a detachable one with electrics that can ideally plug and play (if the electrics exist in that way? I hate splicing into wiring looms).

The one top of my list doesn’t have a towbar, so anyone with any experience of this please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Smile

Post #645844 18th Oct 2022 7:18am
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Do a search for 'tow bar'. Lots of info.
Personally, if it's obvious a Tow bar hasn't recently been removed, I'd go for a car without one because who knows what it has been dragging around with all the increased wear and tear.

Post #645847 18th Oct 2022 8:24am
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

Sorry Kevin but a really do disagree with your "sweeping" statement regarding towbars.

True, someone could have been dragging heavy trailers around 90% of the time - on the other had it could have been used a couple of times a year dragging a tin tend around for a couple of weeks a year - not enough for a 5lt to even break sweat.

Some owners fit towbars simply to protect their car from other drivers anyway & to me a RR looks "naked" without one.

As for the OP - PF Jones are good with towbars &/or advice - personally, I would not have/use a detachable one ever, I just don't trust them (although there are plenty who do).

Post #645849 18th Oct 2022 9:03am
kevinp

I didn't make a 'sweeping' statement. What you say is true, it may have towed very little but at the worst scenario it could have been dragging 3 tons of horses and trailers around. I was only saying by choice I'd prefer one without a tow bar already fitted!

Post #645850 18th Oct 2022 9:08am
GRANGEROVER

Germany 

The roof bars are fitted under little flaps in the roof, no need for rails. I got the Yakima Aero Flush bars and am very happy with them, easy setup and look similar to the OEM bars.

Post #645853 18th Oct 2022 9:36am
garyRR

United Kingdom 
Re: Help prospective new owner with tow bar and roof rails.

S60R wrote:
Hi all,

I’m about to view a couple of 5.0’s….after agreeing a sale on my D4.

I’m wondering how the roof bars fit to the L332… do they require rails and t tracks or is there a flap which pops up and allows fitting? I’m looking at genuine LR rails but see no way of fitting them to the car and I’m hoping to avoid full length rails.

Also if I get one without a towbar, (I’m ok with fitting one myself) - can anyone recommend best one to get? I really want a detachable one with electrics that can ideally plug and play (if the electrics exist in that way? I hate splicing into wiring looms).

The one top of my list doesn’t have a towbar, so anyone with any experience of this please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Smile

Roof Rails are freely available from several sellers on Ebay (about £170). There's front, middle and rear (3 points each side) which take an M8 bolt. The covers just flip up and get removed for roof rails.

Roof racks are a little more tricky - you're best to get a universal 130-140cm set. I bought one supposedly for the L322 but it needed significant modification to fit. I also searched far and wide from various LR suppliers and online (eventually bought from Yogi24).

One of the key design criteria of Range Rovers is to ensue they can consistently tow 3 5 tonnes - because they know many customers buy them for that reason! A big torquey V8 engine, high torque rated gearbox, chassis and other components are heavily under-utilised simply propelling the vehicle and the diesels have so much torque, they'd experience little wear from towing a trailer. The old argument of not to buy a vehicle with a tow bar is simply an old myth - it may be true on a 1.4 litre Golf but not a big V8 designed for such tasks.

Anyhow, a tow bar already fitted to an L322 should be seen as a positive feature because it is a BIG job to fit one. If you're not prepared or not capable / experienced / don't have the tools to fit one yourself, purchasing and paying for one to be fitted is a significant outlay which could otherwise go towards paying for a better, lower mile L322.

Whilst I can't back up this figure, I'd expect 95% of Range Rovers that have a tow bar are used a few times a year for the occasional caravan holiday, boat outing, tip run or track day. They are not used all day every day towing those things around. They probably do less than 1,000 miles a year with a trailer. The other 5% that are heavily used for commercial work with a trailer, I'm sure there'd be other evidence to say the vehicle has been a workhorse, than the engine (beaten up bodywork, trashy interior etc)! And you can bet your dollar that a 5 litre supercharged petrol would not be used for commercial purposes.

Two footnotes:

Range Rover roof rails and the "sport" rack are now obsolete and not available from Land Rover or Duckworths. I checked when following this route.

Towbar wise - look at the website Towbars UK. Tow Trust make both a detachable version and a fixed flange tow bar. I've got the fixed flange and just remove the amarture in winter months when it doesn't get used (which is just 2 bolts). The dedicated electrics they sell are very well made and are genuinely plug and play. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Last edited by garyRR on 18th Oct 2022 10:16pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #645916 18th Oct 2022 9:55pm
kevinp

So 'know it all Gary' strikes again. If a car has towed during it's life you're saying it has no effect at all on things like suspension bushes, shock absorbers propshafts etc. My point that a car that has never towed has more chance mile for mile of being in a less worn out state than one that has.
Stuff you. I'm out of here. Censored

Post #645918 18th Oct 2022 10:10pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Please refrain from personal insults.

We're all here to help fellow RR owners (and prospective owners). Very Happy 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #645919 18th Oct 2022 10:21pm
S60R

United Kingdom 

Well thank you gents…

I didn’t mean to start a heated discusssion!

Great news that the RR bars just plug into the flaps when needed… I don’t really want to fit rails permanently as it’s only for very occasional roof tent use.

I have fitted a couple of tow bars to past cars so I’m happy to have a go…. I will check,out your recommends….thanks all!

Thumbs Up Very Happy

Post #645923 18th Oct 2022 10:57pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Any more info needed, just ask. Aside from the towball and neck, there's little difference between the fixed flange and detachable in terms of how to fit them.

Aside from the usual garage tools for fitting, the 'special' tools I also needed were an angle grinder (the exhaust brackets have a welded nut with a bolt through and one of mine was seized so, had to undo the exhaust bungees, angle grind the nut and bolt off and refit a 316 A4 grade bolt and Nyloc nut in place), silicone lubricant (for the exhaust bungees) and box spanners (for the nuts on the elongated threads either side below the boot floor - if you remove the cubby hole on the right hand side of the boot and look in towards the rear of the car, you'll see the nuts you'll need to access). Otherwise the rest of the job really was just the time in undoing and doing up lots of bolts. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #645924 18th Oct 2022 11:06pm
S60R

United Kingdom 

Perfect….thank you Gary… very happy to tackle fitment myself… are the electrics purely plug and play? No splicing required or cutting into looms?

Post #645926 18th Oct 2022 11:11pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

Yes.

Later cars (of which the 5.0 is) have the tow ECU tucked just down the side of the spare wheel near the bumper and the multiplug on the tow electrics just plugs into that and then the loom pokes through a rubber grommet in the bodywork adjacent to it.

Not essential but it's also good to get an IID or a garage with full LR diagnostics to programme the car's CCF to tell it you have a tow bar fitted and that you've got 7P or 13P electrics. What that will do is turn off the parking sensors in reverse if trailer electrics are connected, ensure the 13 poles are monitored if you have 13P connected, and the vehicle traction control and ESP adjust themselves. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #645927 18th Oct 2022 11:23pm
S60R

United Kingdom 

Thanks Gary! Great knowledge sharing… thank you.

Yes I have the IID tool from my disco I’ll buy a new license once I have decided on the car….. at least I can look at the ones lacking the tow bars now Thumbs Up

Post #645928 18th Oct 2022 11:36pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

If you ask GAP nicely, they'll switch you over to your new VIN for free. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #645929 18th Oct 2022 11:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1