Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Really hard brake pedal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
adara

Romania 2019 Range Rover Vogue 2.0 PHEV Santorini Black
Really hard brake pedal

During a 12 days trip abroad, the car stayed in an open air parking lot at what we would call normal temperatures here (5°C to 25°C). When we came back, the car started normally, but all sorts of messages appeared: hill descent control disabled, ABS not available, drive with caution, etc. When switched into drive, it just started rolling and I almost couldn't brake! The pedal was incredibly hard to press! I stopped the car, waited, restarted it, same thing, impossible to drive. The parking owner came and asked what’s going on. He said that he used to own a Range Rover a few years ago and he found himself in a similar situation, in the middle of nowhere, without access to recovery so he called his dealer and the engineer reluctantly told him to disconnect the battery and to wait a minute, then to reconnect it... He said that this solved the problem, so he brought a wrench, we disconnected the battery and to my surprise it did solve the braking problem! Apparently a reset helps with this... I should mention that I tried to use the Autel OBD tool, but it couldn't erase the errors... 2019 Vogue P400e

Last edited by adara on 2nd Jan 2023 7:43pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #647388 5th Nov 2022 8:33am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Don't know much about the PHEV but that sounds like the 12v battery has died enough to cause multiple errors, not unusual at airports as all the electrical signals floating around can wake the car up multiple times a day, each time depleting the battery somewhat...

Battery disconnection and reset usually sorts it, just get the battery and 12v charging system checked out.. Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #647396 5th Nov 2022 9:55am
adara

Quote:
Don't know much about the PHEV but that sounds like the 12v battery has died enough to cause multiple errors, not unusual at airports as all the electrical signals floating around can wake the car up multiple times a day, each time depleting the battery somewhat...

Thank you, it was probably that, as some of the errors Autel found were: Vehicle communication bus F, bus C, Invalid data from gateway A, etc...

Battery voltage looks good, charging too, but left it with a charger overnight anyway...

So, another tip to add to the JLR faults solving checklist... (Actually I did this almost every month with the L322...) 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #647466 6th Nov 2022 8:53am
adara

Another trip, another 10 days in which the car remained unused, this time in the garage, same behavior: no brake servo and the messages: OK to drive with caution, ABS not available, HDC not available.
But, disconnecting the battery didn't help this time... So I went to the dealer and they said both batteries need replacing, the 90 Ah one and the 14 Ah auxiliary one... Price at the dealership £330 and £240 respectively, without labour...
The price in specialized stores is £160 pounds (Varta, identical to the JLR labeled one) and £52 (Exide, also identical), available tomorrow. They reluctantly agreed to let me bring them, will see the fitting cost tomorrow & also if this solves the problem... 2019 Vogue P400e

Last edited by adara on 2nd Jan 2023 7:44pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #650086 7th Dec 2022 2:30pm
adara

Phew, the problem was solved. The batteries were indeed the cause and especially the auxiliary battery, completely gone, 0 volts... I would’ve imagined that the failure of a battery would generate start up problems, warning messages, but not braking failure!!! £245 for diag and replacement were added to the cost of the batteries... 2019 Vogue P400e

Last edited by adara on 2nd Jan 2023 7:45pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #650227 9th Dec 2022 8:07am
Kot

United Kingdom 

Interesting fault, I never really give the aux battery any thoughts. You would think the system would be clever enough to give you a warning

" Attention your Aux battery is failing this could result in Death, as your brakes fail!!!!" Rolling with laughter 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #650255 9th Dec 2022 11:34am
adara

Precisely. There were no warnings of any kind, there were no starting problems, but it’s true that 99% of the time the car starts in electric mode (PHEV)… 2019 Vogue P400e

Post #650259 9th Dec 2022 11:43am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1