Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Does cold weather - affect air suspension?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
TDV8_Tommy

Spain 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Baltic Blue
Does cold weather - affect air suspension?

Hello all,

I have noticed the front end of the RR is 'kneeling' somewhat over the last ~4 days. It has coincided with very cold overnight temps here. Between -1 and -5 for a good week or so.

The GAP tool indicates no suspension faults.

It's not normal for us to have such low temps and it's been the coldest weather I've had during the time I've owned the car which is 4 years.

So I just wondered, has anyone else experienced this? 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Baltic Blue, Jet interior
1997 P38 2.5 DSE auto & 1998 P38 2.5 DT Manual
1988 Vogue 3.5 EFI - Manual, gone.
2004 Volvo C70 2.0T convertible, had since new.
2007 Mazda MX-5 2.0 Sport Roadster/Coupé, had since new.
2024 Mini Cooper S cabrio, JCW kit, 2.0, DCT auto

Post #655127 30th Jan 2023 1:10pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

Boyles law says the volume of gas is related to temperature but the system will adjust as any change in height will be registered and adjusted for. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #655129 30th Jan 2023 1:21pm
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

I've had similar weird goings on with my front suspension airbags over the last few months. Some days, when it's been very cold overnight, i.e. -1 and below, the front end has dropped very low but not quite to the bump stops. As soon as I start the FF the front end rises to normal height and the air compressor kicks in. Driving seems to be fine and no faults, etc., show up either on the dash or GAP IID Tool. Other days the front end will only have dropped a tiny bit, normally when the temp is above 0 degrees. I can leave the FF for a few days and the drop won't increase at all, then start up the FF and she will 'self-level' and all's fine.
At first I thought I had a slow leak on one of the front air bags, but can't find anything to prove this. Was going to get two new front air springs and get them replaced, but now waiting to see what is the exact prolem as don't want to fork out up to £300.00 for new bags and find it's something else. Definitely not the air tank or lines, as when I start up the car the front end raises straight away, before the compressor kicks in to regas the air tank.

Very strange, as does seem to be connected to outside temps somehow.

Post #655158 30th Jan 2023 5:56pm
TDV8_Tommy

Thanks, @Discotigger

I was thinking of your previous post as I was writing mine. Westie is sitting normally now because I popped out earlier but surely a leak would present itself after ~7 hrs...?

As the temps warm up over the coming days I will keep an eye on her and report back. 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Baltic Blue, Jet interior

Post #655159 30th Jan 2023 6:05pm
Discotigger

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

@ TDV8_Tommy,
Yes it's definitely a strange one, as I would have expected an air bag leak to be constant despite the temperatures. Only thing I have thought that could be causing the differences in height drops at different temperatures might be down to the actual rubber on the bags. It may be getting a bit stiffer at lower temps, so if the leak is on or around the fold in the air bag, the stiffer rubber may allow a bit more air to escape if there's just a pinhole leak. At higher temps, i.e. above 0 Degrees, the rubber may be supple enough to help plug the pinhole leak to a certain degree and prevent the air from escaping as much.
Does seem to be a long shot though. I'm just holding off at the moment to see if the problem gets worse, or disappears ( Surprised , would be surprised if it goes away!).

Post #655162 30th Jan 2023 6:16pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

The air suspension will only adjust downwards whilst the vehicle is not running. It's not uncommon to see the suspension at some intermediate height after a cold night, windchill will make it worse than just a low ambient. Boyles law is the correct explanation. I was in the French alps a few years ago with quite a few L322, L319 & 320's. Daytime was -4 to -10 Deg. C. but overnight it dropped to ~-30deg. C., lower with windchill. All the vehicles had levelled down, the ones side-on to the prevailing wind had lowered more, but all were down to some extent.

Post #655171 30th Jan 2023 7:22pm
TDV8_Tommy

In the picture, you can see the gap above the front wheel is significantly less than the one at the rear.

Temps were 0 overnight, no wind and now 15.

So, not sure. I'll continue to monitor.

2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Baltic Blue, Jet interior

Post #655492 3rd Feb 2023 1:04pm
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

mine does this and has done since i got it 2 years ago!! some days worse than other and normally when temps drop. fire the car up levels it self out and the pump goes off after a min or so.
i have gone round with fairy liquid and cannot see anything suggesting a leak.
had 2 rear shocks last year, so rear air bags this year and i am considering the fronts as well as car has 130k and they are original i think the front shocks will be quite tired and i think they do crash sometimes!!

changing the rear shocks made a big difference!! however fronts are bloody expensive!! Shocked 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #655500 3rd Feb 2023 2:03pm
Faukstad

Norway 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
Re: Does cold weather - affect air suspension?

TDV8_Tommy wrote:
Hello all,

I have noticed the front end of the RR is 'kneeling' somewhat over the last ~4 days. It has coincided with very cold overnight temps here. Between -1 and -5 for a good week or so.

It's not normal for us to have such low temps and it's been the coldest weather I've had during the time I've owned the car which is 4 years.

So I just wondered, has anyone else experienced this?

Hola Tommy, que tal?

Yeah, I've been having the same issues with mine here in Norway.
Allthough it doesn't drop overnight, leaving it for some time leaves it practically on the pump stops.
To add on that my air compressor is on it's last legs, and refuses to present itself for work if temperatures are below -4 degrees. Not a good combination.
And to top it off my front height sensors decide to go into strike at said temperatures, claiming to have the front suspension on the bump stops while cruising on the highway. I usually bring my GAP-tool and keep deleting the faults constantly for 10-15 minutes, then the issue seems to go away.

I'll be upgrading to an AMK within the month, and see if that solves the problem, as well as go over the height sensors with contact spray, or even changing the alltogether.

For your issue; I seem to remeber there's a fuse you can pull to diagonse where the kneeling/dropped suspension comes from?

Post #655512 3rd Feb 2023 7:58pm
Faukstad

Norway 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black
Re: Does cold weather - affect air suspension?

BTW, you can pull up live values from the suspension with the GAPtool, might give you an idea where the pressure goes?I'm starting to suspect faulty valves, including the exhaust valve.

TDV8_Tommy wrote:
Hello all,

So I just wondered, has anyone else experienced this?

Post #655521 3rd Feb 2023 9:33pm
TDV8_Tommy

Thanks, @Faukstad

Good shout, I’ll do that shortly on the GAP. This morning she’s dropped again but more to the passenger side, which may help pin point the issue. 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Baltic Blue, Jet interior

Post #655553 4th Feb 2023 9:21am
ikjos

Norway 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

Here in Norway the car is exposed to very cold temps (-10 to -20) many times over the winter, and only once had problems with the air suspension 2-3 years back. It was totally deflated, but that quickly corrected itself when I started the engine. Probably one valve got stuck/frozen and let the air out over a few days. Other than that I've never had any issues.

L322 2012 Westminster ----------------
2012 - L322 Westminster
QRV @ LA2VSA / DA1AA

Post #655558 4th Feb 2023 9:51am
TDV8_Tommy

Took some live readings and although I am absolutely no expert, it seems to me that there is an issue with the front left corner?

This is my first time doing live readings, what do others think of the data?

The compressor seems fine and so do all other systems. 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster - Baltic Blue, Jet interior

Post #655651 5th Feb 2023 9:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1