Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Knocking struts or CV-joints?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ian928

Norway 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black
Knocking struts or CV-joints?

Our 2006 SC with 220.000kms has had a suspension knock for years. I have for 3 times had it on a four-post with test equipment for loose joints and there is none. I have also been under the car with a stethoscope to try to find where the sound comes from. The MOT man where I had the car now in march had it down to one of two:

Sloppy strut/damper
    Loose CV joint

Symptoms are like this:
Loud knocking when changing drive from FWD to RWD. If I put my left foot firm on the brake and give some throttle, then alternate between D and R there are several loud knocks from both sides each time. The car is not moving up and down.
The same knocking sound from both sides is heard each time I brake
Low speed there are knocking in potholes etc
Some vibration from side to side in steering wheel when braking slightly (recently started)
No vibration or sounds when turning

What we have checked:
Caliper bolts (firm)
New Brembo brake pads (no change)
New RH lower suspension arm (no change)
Top mount (no/little movement)
All joints checked several times by professionals (no knocking found)
We changed the outer CV joints some years ago, I have checked the torque on the driveshaft nut and it was tight
The car was pushed back and forth on the four-post in P and the knocking was loud but no one could pinpoint it
All suspension parts on the front have been changed after we bought the car except the anti roll bar bushes.

I read yesterday about problems with Dunlop struts so I checked and our car has struts marked BWI and and dated 14.12.10 (so clearly changed at one point)

I feel it could be CV joints, but earlier experience tell me they would make sound when turning. Also, when moving the gear from D and R I feel the knocking should probably be more instant. As it is, some power is needed to make the sound appear. Also, I can undestand a loose strut giving vibration when braking, but not a loose CV joint.

I was expecting to see a Dunlop sticker on the strut, but from what I have read BWI is OEM quality and I have not read about them knocking?

Any help is greatly appreciated! I have been thinking I can remove front driveshaft to see if the sound disappears but I would rather not do it. 2006 Supercharged

Post #627649 3rd Apr 2022 1:52pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Did you say you’ve changed the front drop links? I changed the rear shocks and then the prop centre bearing before doing the drop links Whistle

Post #627652 3rd Apr 2022 2:54pm
Ian928

Yes, I did change the drop links. It did nothing for this knocking sound. Also, I get no knocking when pulling the steering wheel from side to side when driving. 2006 Supercharged

Post #627663 3rd Apr 2022 4:04pm
Ian928

Update: changed struts, and the knocking was still there. Last week we changed the Britpart drilled and slotted brake discs to Brembo parts, and the knocking is gone. My theory is that the holes for the small bolts were too large, and the disc were able to slide slightly bak and forth between the Wheel and hub. 2006 Supercharged

Post #655242 31st Jan 2023 12:25pm
Triumph72

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Ipanema Sand

Glad your sorted, always nice when someone updates the solution to a problem.

So many posters never come back to the forum and let people know how it was fixed.

Post #655255 31st Jan 2023 4:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1