Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > European Road Trip
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
recordman

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

There's some cheap deals with free EU roaming on Money Saving Expert's site (Martin Lewis). Eg. Lebara using Vodafone. Watch out though, EU is strictly EU. Andorra, Monaco, Switzerland etc aren't included and are costly to make/receive calls/texts in those territories. 2017 SDV8 Autobiography

Post #653883 18th Jan 2023 12:25pm
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

recordman wrote:
There's some cheap deals with free EU roaming on Money Saving Expert's site (Martin Lewis). Eg. Lebara using Vodafone. Watch out though, EU is strictly EU. Andorra, Monaco, Switzerland etc aren't included and are costly to make/receive calls/texts in those territories.

Plusnet includes roaming to Andorra, Switzerland & Monaco Thumbs Up link here

I don't know how they do it for the price, but I'm not complaining Very Happy

Otherwise correct though, all other networks charge horrendous amounts for roaming in Andorra (and presumably the others)

Post #653912 18th Jan 2023 4:52pm
jez000

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Bournville

Slightly off topic but was on the Hull Rotterdam ferry about 10 days ago and could see 3 other FFRR's - the whole deck waited about 25 mins to start unloading and we were all the very last people to start our vehicles for fear of running down our batteries and not being able to start Rolling with laughter 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB
Gone 2011 Bournville TDV8 VSE
Gone 2008 Black Canadian HSE LUX

Post #653944 18th Jan 2023 7:52pm
Classic888

United Kingdom 

PLUSNET currently looks like the best way to go for me. Thanks Alistair

Post #654279 21st Jan 2023 5:46pm
JoolsB

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Have a look at one-off payment SIMs on Amazon.

Post #654332 22nd Jan 2023 9:55am
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

In France all traffic coming from the right has priority, pedestrians are holy and protected (even walking through red light they have priority), the speed radars are getting smaller and smaller but are everywhere, even in disguised cars, buy a toll-badge for the telepeage, which saves you a lot of time, never ever let a French garage repair your car if you are in need off a bigger repair, in a lot of parts in France bikers can legally pass you on both sides and where it's not legal they do it anyway. Waze is forbidden to use in France but everybody uses it because the users give each other info about police activity etc. Never trust a car with two or 3 guys pointing at your car, as if there is something wrong, if you stop they will help you out...of your car.

Have a pleasant planning and journey.

Post #654388 22nd Jan 2023 7:49pm
Classic888

United Kingdom 

JoolsB. Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a look at Pre-Paid

Robert. Great heads up thank you.

This Forum is excellent in so many respects.

Post #654393 22nd Jan 2023 8:05pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

http://tolltickets.com is a useful site for getting vignettes ahead of your trip, for a negligible few extra euros. Austria and Switzerland spring to mind as needing these.

I have a French toll zapper (this siemay also sell them) which in April you do not need,, the queues will not be bad, but I like breezing through the booths at a steady 30 kmh and the barrier auto opening. Small pleasures.

I was simply passing through Austria a decade or so ago and I got fined 200+ for not having a 5 euro vignette. They do them weekly or monthly, like that. In Switzerland they stop you at the border (if they can be arsed) if you do not have a sticker and you can buy there and then. But having one in advance is much easier. The Swiss do theirs annually.

In some cities, especially in France, you need a clean air sticker thing. You can get this in advance. In Germany there is a similar scheme, again you can get in advance, but I have never actually found I need these in those two countries. Italy no issues. Spain, no experience but I know there are tolls.

Netherlands no requirements. Tell us your route, it would be great to know your plans and comment/criticise on the details!
Carry a triangle, a first aid kit and some yellow vests. Some countries require all three. I have never been stopped, never used them. In France you need a bulb kit, but never been stopped or asked and anyway we are all LED lighting now, right? If not, worth carrying something to avoid a petty-minded fine.

Carry your original V5. Take your insurance certificate (all UK insurance is valid in EU by default, you should not require a 'green card' but check with your insurer). I have never been asked for the docs in EU and I have done countless trips. But...Also, put a UK sticker on the rear. Apparently, old GB number plates are also OK. I have never been stopped or checked for UK identifier or number plates but I have always had some identifier on the car.

Have a method to adjust headlights for driving on the wrong side of the road.

Research fuel prices... filling up ih one country vs another can save a few quid and make you feel better. Highway fuel in France is very expensive but otherwise fuel is subsidised and so cheaper vs, say, Switzerland if I remember. I can't say I look that closely at fuel costs.

Speed limit changes are bonkers across borders. Pay attention to the signs. Do NOT carry speed camera gadgets in France. Dashcam laws vary wildly, research them. Austria, I think, bans them. Germany is an issue. But I have used dash cams in EU and never been 'caught' for it. You can normally just offer to delete footage, I hear. Privacy laws etc. France and Switzerland no issues for this anyway.

For crossing, I am in London, so use the we Eurotunnel and I would not use the ferry, too slow for us urbanites. Thumbs Up L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #655550 4th Feb 2023 12:33am
ilard

United Kingdom 

Oh, in Italy they like to do the fuel for you, like 1950s America. They get quite irate if you attempt to self-serve! That is when they are open which is about 15 minutes everyday. When automated, their systems do not like UK credit cards. Plan ahead and stay full if going there. Elsewhere in EU, no fuelling issues. My Land Rover sat nav is HOPELESS at identifying valid, open fuel stations anywhere in Europe. If you get low, check Google maps for somewhere open to save the stress and family arguments. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso

Post #655551 4th Feb 2023 12:42am
Classic888

United Kingdom 

ilard.

Great information and advice. Many thanks. I do not have a planned route just yet but it will follow something like this:

Hull-Rotterdam through the Netherlands- Belgium- Luxembourg-Germany-Liechtenstein-Switzerland-Italy-Sicily.

I have no time scale to work to, so it will be very flexible.

Buona giornata

Post #655554 4th Feb 2023 8:23am
jez000

Worth filling up in Luxembourg as its the cheapest fuel in western Europe and about the right time for a break from Rotterdam. 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB

Post #655581 4th Feb 2023 2:38pm
jumpin mouse

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

If you book the ferry before the end of Feb. and sail after 1st March you will get 15% discount if you use the correct link on P&O website. Also, I suggest getting the priority disembarkation at £15 each way, it gets you near the front of the slow queue at passport control, just when you are raring to get going.

I always book a Club cabin as I like my comforts and think it's good value, especially with 15% off.

Netherlands is max 100kmph and this is monitored with hefty fines.

Post #655730 5th Feb 2023 8:03pm
Classic888

United Kingdom 

Fuel prices had not even crossed my mind really, with the supply issue I naively thought they would be about the same in most countries. Great information about priority positioning on the ferry, was not aware of that.

Post #655780 6th Feb 2023 9:08am
jez000

Oh I didn’t know about priority unloading either, i will check that out Thumbs Up I thought it was just based on what time you loaded. Do they put you somewhere like in front of the animal kennels ? 2021 P400 Silicon Silver AB

Post #655890 7th Feb 2023 9:27am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12