Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Not so good news - possible new gearbox
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Iguana

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Not so good news - possible new gearbox

After just over a month of ownership, my 2004 L322 4.4 V8 looks like it's going to need a replacement gearbox.

For the past few weeks I've been having issues with the gearbox, such as huge clonk when changing up from 1st to 2nd, as well as intermittent juddering at all speeds/gears, and rumble/vibration around 50 ph.

Took it to a friend (Mechanic) this weekend, and he thinks that the the clutch plate could be the main issue and would need replacing. Subsequent to this, I've called Bristol Transmissions and based on the phone conversation with them they have advised a replacement box (Recon), which would get a full 1 year Warranty at a cost of £2400 + VAT Big Cry

There's always a risk involved when buying any older car (Especially a RR), but I must admit I didn't expect to be faced with a bill so early at not far off what I paid for the car!

It's making me think that the seller mislead me (eBay private sale) and perhaps did something to the gearbox, as when I test drove it, I couldn't detect any of these symptoms and found no faults with my IID tool.

Anyway, any thoughts from any of you on if I have any options, or does it really look like I have to stump up for a new box?

I'm putting up with it at the moment, using manual mode when it's cold and driving like a nun, and so far it's helping, although have had two occasions this week when I had transmission fault and one with complete failure of any gears - all of which were fixed by reading and clearing faults.

Thanks in advance
Iggy Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR = MY04 FFRR V8 & 1991 Land Rover Defender Camper
- Gone but not forgotten:
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!)

Post #656479 13th Feb 2023 3:50pm
kezbo1981

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Before spending that sort of money it would be worth checking the transmission has enough fluid and perhaps changing the fluid, those symptoms could be sympotamic of low or bad fluid.

Post #656493 13th Feb 2023 4:59pm
Iguana

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Thanks Kesbo, sorry I should have added that we checked all fluids at the weekend and all are clearly recent and at the correct levels Thumbs Up Iggy/Ieuan

Current LR = MY04 FFRR V8 & 1991 Land Rover Defender Camper
- Gone but not forgotten:
MY05 Disco 3 'S'
MY14 FL2 HSE manual in Blue
MY15 Disco 4 HSE Lux in Santorini Black
MY08 Disco 3 SE manual in Buck Blue
1960 Series 2 88" (No idea why I sold it!)

Post #656497 13th Feb 2023 5:23pm
kezbo1981

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Buckingham Blue

Any receipts suggesting whether the right fluid was used? It could be some generic trans fluid was used and the gearbox doesn't like that. However, like your original post indicates there maybe is a problem and the fluid was changed but didn't solve the problem. Good luck!

Post #656500 13th Feb 2023 5:41pm
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

As it's still working I'd be inclined to invest in a gearbox flush (look up "Bodsy".)

The previous owner may not have been aware of impending doom - my L322 (admittedly a TD6 with the rubbish gearbox) went from "perfect" to "scrap" in less than 50 miles.

Post #656511 13th Feb 2023 7:14pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Fatty off roader was bought with a known gearbox fault, same issue as yours, I managed to coax about 9 months out of it before having to replace the gearbox... I changed the oil and it made it slightly better but it didn't last...

I used a second hand unit, a bit of a gamble but only cost £500....

If you keep it and change the gearbox you have to budget for a new torque convertor, oil cooler and lines, your old ones will be full of swarf and will wreck the new box if not changed... It is virtually impossible to clean then out successfully...

Personally, with the issues you have and clean looking oil I doubt a flush would do much good....

Sorry for the doom and gloom... Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #656558 14th Feb 2023 10:35am
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

Personally I would pause before you commit to spending anything and give the whole car a very good inspection.
You haven't had the car long, it's easy to push ahead and spend lots of money on a new toy but it is nearly 20 years old and if it is immaculate and well maintained it may well be worth putting the money into it. However it is also at the point where it could become a money pit and the more you put in the harder it becomes to stop spending. Any car that age is just one big bill away from the scrapyard.
I suggest you have a good look for corrosion and also consider anything else that needs fixing then think about the big picture and consider if you want to cut your losses.

Post #656579 14th Feb 2023 12:58pm
RRPhil

United Kingdom 

If you have the facilities & you’re handy with a set of spanners you should consider remanufacturing your transmission yourself. The hardest part is getting it out of, and back into, the vehicle. Tearing down, repairing & rebuilding the ZF 5HP24 transmission really isn’t that difficult. This would massively cut down the cost.

Phil

Post #656601 14th Feb 2023 3:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1