Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Motorhome to Tow a Home
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
TeeMyob

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Zermatt Silver
Motorhome to Tow a Home

After 20 years of Motorhoming, I decided to give caravanning a go.

4.4 V8 towed very easily (exception of other prats and people lane hogging at 50 on the M6).

Have to say, I love the RR, but I do prefer a Motorhome.

Post #624565 23rd Feb 2022 8:02pm
WDRR

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Just sold my Vantage Sol with a view at dome point soon to tow with a recently purchased L322. We spend most of our time on sites up north. It will be interesting to see how we get on. Willie
2008 TDV8 Santorini Black

Post #657269 20th Feb 2023 10:59pm
MPx

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Waitomo Grey
Re: Motorhome to Tow a Home

TeeMyob wrote:

Have to say, I love the RR, but I do prefer a Motorhome.

I'm intrigued by this. A fatty is a lovely place to spend time while on the road, and as you say, can tow pretty effortlessly. When you get to wherever, you unhitch and have a great vehicle for exploring the area. Go with a motorhome and its pack everything away just to nip into town for some dinner ... and pretty awkward to park up at many attractions you might want to go to. Now I've seen plenty of motorhomers dragging a Chevrolet Matiz or Smart or similar all over Europe, presumably to get over that issue. But isn't that the worst of both worlds ? Not quite such a capable intercontinental drive followed by a fortnight buzzing about in a bubble car. I just don't get it I'm afraid. Mike - MPx

2017 5.0 V8 Supercharged SVAutobigraphy Dynamic SVO Palette Grey (2021-...)
2012 5.0 V8 Supercharged Autoboigraphy Orkney Grey (2017-2021)
2007 4.2 V8 Supercharged Vogue SE Tonga Green (2012-2017)
2002 4.4 V8 Vogue Bonnatti Grey (2008-2012)

Post #657281 21st Feb 2023 12:15am
GLYNNE

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue

You do see more and more Motorhomes towing small cars now which I’ve thought seems strange.
Double your costs with road tax, mot’s etc.

But who am I to talk Laughing I have a VW Crafter conversion which tows a caravan Exclamation

Post #657283 21st Feb 2023 12:54am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

In Europe, there's lots of places you can stay in a motorhome that won't allow caravans.

(I'm thinking of buying a motorhome but haven't yet)

Post #657293 21st Feb 2023 8:48am
Jayk69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Barolo Black

we recently toyed with a MoHo to replace our TA van. but with x2 full size 13 year old girls decided the practicality of the Van still out ways the MoHo.

We will defiantly go down the MoHo route but when it is just the wife and I. having the ability to un hitch and go out for day trips with the Van as a base camp is still great with the kids.

though bloody expensive to do a ferry crossing now!! 2012 Vogue 4.4 TDV8 - Current
2014 Navara V6 - Gone
2004 Vogue TD6 - Gone
Grand Cherokee - Gone
Discovery V8 (LPG) - Gone
Discovery TD5 - Gone

Post #657302 21st Feb 2023 10:07am
Danb_220_2019

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Fuji White
Re: Motorhome to Tow a Home

Quote:
I'm intrigued by this. A fatty is a lovely place to spend time while on the road, and as you say, can tow pretty effortlessly. When you get to wherever, you unhitch and have a great vehicle for exploring the area. Go with a motorhome and its pack everything away just to nip into town for some dinner ... and pretty awkward to park up at many attractions you might want to go to. Now I've seen plenty of motorhomers dragging a Chevrolet Matiz or Smart or similar all over Europe, presumably to get over that issue. But isn't that the worst of both worlds ? Not quite such a capable intercontinental drive followed by a fortnight buzzing about in a bubble car. I just don't get it I'm afraid.

I've been around motorhomes for 30+ years - first as a passenger with my parents and then a driver, and then an owner - never in a van under 3.5T and never under 6.3M long; up to 6T and 8M in the past.

The big advantage over a caravan (which I've also owned) is the fact that you don't pitch up and stay in one place - for someone without kids and who likes to visit new places, the ability to move every day or stay several days depending how you feel is the best bit for me. There's not much to pack away, anyway - no outboard water or waste containers, no external pumps, no awnings (unless you use your motorhome like a caravan and stay in one place). At most it's some chairs to throw in and an awning to wind in which takes literally two or three minutes to do (oh, and putting any pots/pans away).

We've never towed a car, never had a motorbike or anything similar; and we've never had a problem finding somewhere to park anywhere in Europe, including in major cities like Milan, Paris, Berlin, and in tiny places like Monaco; and we've also visited hundreds of places you'd not want to tow a large caravan. A good motorhome is nice to drive and easily capable of covering long distances in relaxed comfort - albeit not a FFRR level of comfort.

It's also worth saying that at almost 80 years old my parents have only in the last 10 years started using campsites, and even then only every few days. For the 30-odd years I've been doing it, we've wild-camped 99% of the time and my wife and I still do habitually. In all that time and literally thousands of nights touring, we've been 'moved on' the sum total of...

ONCE...

That was in France, in the forest near Rambouillet, where a local gendarme made us and several other vans follow him to the local camping municipale. I suspect he was getting a backhander from them for drumming up trade; but whilst everyone else was checking in to the site, we left and found another site in the forest - no further problems.

Caravans have advantages, for sure, but for a lot of people who've never tried a motorhome, there's a lot of assumptions made and incorrect opinions that have just become received wisdom. I loved the space and convenience of always having the car when we had caravans, but hated the fact that we ended up staying on the same soulless campsite for a week (some campsites are nice, but they still feel empty and soulless to me!); I love the freedom to roam that a motorhome offers.

My parents still have the van they bought at 6 months old in 1995; it's done about 150K touring since then and still gets used regularly. It's on its second engine and gearbox as we upgraded to a later more powerful unit a few years back.

My wife and I have now 'downsized' to a two-berth van I built myself during lockdown. It's still 3.5T, self-contained and 6.4M long, so it's not small, but it's smaller than the vans we've had before now.[/quote] 2012 (L322) 4.4TDV8 Vogue SE, RSE, Fuji White over Arabica.
Previous V8s: BMW 645Ci, P38 4.6, P38 4.0, Merc CL500
Previous others: Honda x1, Volvo x7, Rover x6, BMW x6, Ford x1, Mercedes x2, Skoda x3, VW x2, Renault x2, Citroen x1, Mazda x3, Nissan x1, Audi x3, Kia x1, Fiat x4, Subaru x3, Austin x2, Triumph x2, Jeep x2, Hyundai x2, Lexus x1, Mitsubishi x1, Saab x2... and some others I've forgotten!

Post #657312 21st Feb 2023 11:40am
WDRR

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Motorhome or Caranvan... What is best? Having had both I must say there is no right answer, it depends on how you as an individual are going to use it. Agree with the advantages as outlined above for the Motorhome but, at this moment in time I want to go to a base with nice facilities, setup and potentially explore the local area, say 50 mile radius in a nice vehicle. That's where my head is. Towing is not a problem, the only disadvantage for me is finding storage space for a caravan when not in use. However as I said that is where I am at present, I did love my motorhome, I may go back there some day! Willie
2008 TDV8 Santorini Black

Post #659007 9th Mar 2023 11:17pm
Huwrhys

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

This subject came up on another forum I was on years ago. The point was batted back and forth for a while and the conclusion was that motorhomes were all about the journey and caravans all about the stay. It depends how you and yours want to do it, I prefer the stay and being able to make friends with the time I have on and off site. I like to explore in some detail and love the comfort of my RR for both journey and stay. Some prefer the ability to wild camp and use the aires in France (like a car park with hook ups and water filling/emptying) usually close to towns.
I have to say I fancy the freedom it allows but don’t want to drive a van/lorry for six weeks every summer. Cost is a further issue. My caravan is about as expensive as a caravan gets (it was 7 years ago at least) and cost half the price of an equivalent motor home. I’d have a RR even if I didn’t caravan.
The point is that it’s horses for courses. Some will prefer one to the other and so it goes on. Neither will convince the other of the best because it’s subjective. Good luck to all whatever you choose.

Post #672391 31st Aug 2023 7:38am
Joe90

England 

No one has mentioned hotels..... .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #672498 1st Sep 2023 2:25pm
Huwrhys

The hotel 200m away was €350/night whereas my caravan was €50 for 5 of us.

Post #672500 1st Sep 2023 2:48pm
nearlee

Wales 

I think huwrhys had summed it up perfectly, which ever works best for you.
For us the caravan is the winner. Remember:- amateurs built the ark
Proffesionals built the titanic

Post #672514 1st Sep 2023 8:53pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Yes but you don't get to hear the family toileting in the hotel! Whistle Whistle Whistle THANK GOD! Thumbs Up

Post #672526 1st Sep 2023 11:11pm
Huwrhys

Are you putting your ear up to caravan walls?
Seems a strange way to behave.

Post #672529 2nd Sep 2023 12:03am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Rolling with laughter

To be honest even in the van we tend to use the campsite loos, with the exception of a middle of the night pee, unless we off grid which is rare.

nice Hymer there OP.

I can see the argument for both, I've had vans for years and a Moho isn't something I would consider at the moment. If I lived in the states then I would have a coach and live in it but I don't on either count. I too like the stay, and the freedom a tow car gives to get out and explore. Ok so a FFRR is not maybe the best car to scoot round the French back roads but it beats a moped or smart car!

One thing I did see today, while driving up the M5 was an utterly enormous 5th wheel on the back of a ford ranger. Daftest thing I've seen for a while. Must have been like towing a brick. Ive got a 3.2 ranger in the pool and on its own it's not the fastest thing on the planet, it will just about pull the skin off a rice pudding, but with what looked like about 3t of trailer on the bed it must have taken an age to get up to speed. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #672643 3rd Sep 2023 9:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>