Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Theoretical Q; High beam assist and auto dimming mirrors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ennoch

Theoretical Q; High beam assist and auto dimming mirrors

As far as I know the L322 doesn't come with HBA in the UK but I found an AUS catalogue which says they did. The GAP page suggests that as long as the correct mirror is fitted it can be coded in. Does anyone know if this mirror with the correct sensors was fitted to the UK models, or was it something that only the models where Vision Assist was spec'd? I've found a car with adaptive headlights which I'd also like, if that makes any difference to the ability to code the HBA in?

Separately, the only extras the VSE has which appeals to me over the Vogue are adaptive cruise and the dimming side mirrors. The cruise would be nice but I can take or leave, but the dimming mirrors are something I'd quite like given the amount of night driving I do on the A9 and similar roads. With the car being higher than a normal sedan it's less of a problem but I'd still go for it if I could. Is it something that's easily retrofittable, or does it require an involved process?

Post #659890 20th Mar 2023 4:11pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

I have a Vogue SE with the adaptive lighting system and dimming mirrors all round. It is very very good. I think I've seen high beam assist in the CCF settings but not played with it. But the cornering headlamps, plus cornering LEDs are really effective. And, all 3 dimming mirrors make it an easy drive at night.

Adaptive cruise control I'm not so fussed by - it can be switched to regular cruise control in the IID tool. Reason I'm not so fussed by it is that the following distances are FAR too conservative. Even the closest following distance is beyond a 2 second gap, leaving you wide open to someone pulling out into it and then the car slowing down again to create another gap - it gets annoying if I'm honest. The new cars are no better also, except you can toggle between manual and adaptive from the steering wheel. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #659904 20th Mar 2023 5:30pm
Ennoch

Yeah, it's whether the HBA is as simple as switching it on in the CCF because they wanted to include it in the Vision Pack, or if it needs a different mirror unit. The HBA in the LR (if it's like my dad's Evoque) won't be as good as the BMW as it's just on/off but it's still useful. The BMW has the full shuttering system that just cuts a square out around the car in front in a quite impressive manner while still leaving the verges and sides properly illuminated (also handy when you're lining up to overtake somebody who isn't using full beams as it throws light beyond their own headlights!). How noticeable is the cornering effect on the L322 units?

With the cruise I don't really drive on crowded motorways so what's an issue for you probably won't bother me, it's predominantly on the A9 single carriageway where so many people seem completely unable to stick to a steady 60mph even in modern cars with cruise, it's an inevitable yo-yo between 55-65mph! Is it possible to re-calibrate the following distances with the GAP tool?

Post #659908 20th Mar 2023 6:00pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

You're referring to matrix lighting re the BMW. Matrix lighting is pretty new and all L322s pre-date this technology, so there are none which will do it. High Beam Assist or Adaptive High Beam simply turns the high Beam on in the dark and then flicks it off when it detects something reflective (e.g cornering chevron sign, give way sign, reflectors or headlamps on another vehicle).

The cornering headlamps combined with cornering lamps are very effective when driving down a road with sweeping bends.

No the cruise control following distances cannot be recalibrated. I verified this with GAP directly. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #659909 20th Mar 2023 6:06pm
Rackers

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

Interesting question this, when I looked the mirror in my 5.0 S/C was identical (visually) to the one that provided high beam assist.

Post #659911 20th Mar 2023 6:21pm
Ennoch

garyRR wrote:
You're referring to matrix lighting re the BMW. Matrix lighting is pretty new and all L322s pre-date this technology, so there are none which will do it. High Beam Assist or Adaptive High Beam simply turns the high Beam on in the dark and then flicks it off when it detects something reflective (e.g cornering chevron sign, give way sign, reflectors or headlamps on another vehicle).

The cornering headlamps combined with cornering lamps are very effective when driving down a road with sweeping bends.

No the cruise control following distances cannot be recalibrated. I verified this with GAP directly.

Ahh, that's a shame on the recalibration. Unlikely to be an issue for me luckily as I tend to just sit a decent distance back from anyone on the A9 anyway given how many rocks and stones end up on the road way from all the potholes.

The HID adaptive headlamps on the F31 aren't actually matrix but use shifting shutters but yes, you're right that the L322 even in final edition spec was a few years before even early forms of the tech was available (the F31 had it from launch as an option from 2013). Still, I always find the main beam push on the stalk a bit clunky on the L322 and when on the lever isn't quite in reach of my finger tips so having auto HBA would be nice. I'm not sure what having a pair of big 130W Hella spots on the front would do to its sensitivity though! Good to know the cornering lights are good though, it's certainly an option I'd like.

I need to sort out the new job next week and then I'm going to have a chat about this local car again. It's been there since at least the start of December, probably the end of summer given the pics are in full leaf trees, and it has a leaking oil cooler (presumably nothing else would cause this sort of leak to be visible down the back of the front subframe?) and the coolant low warning, but it's not got much surface rust underneath and seems honest. It would need to be cheaper, and I'd want a decent amount of cash back in my pocket if I traded in, but it's one of those where the convenience of having seen it easily being a major selling point. It's all well and good being willing to travel but you're very reliant on cars being as described, and if you've had to use the train to get there then it's a PITA to get back home if you've decided it's not for you!

Rackers wrote:
Interesting question this, when I looked the mirror in my 5.0 S/C was identical (visually) to the one that provided high beam assist.

That's interesting, I was wondering if the bulk of the parts were the same and it was just a few extra bits for the vision assist given the additional cameras presumably took up most of the extra cost from ticking the box, and given it also says that the auto dimming mirrors are required for it to work and on the Vogue they're only an extra £200, presumably from the electrochroamatic glass. I'll go for a GAP tool anyway no matter which car I go for so it should be an easy one to check!

Post #659912 20th Mar 2023 7:04pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

High beam assist & auto dimming mirrors are two separate technologies. High beam assist requires a forward facing camera and some pretty intensive image processing tech.
Auto dimming mirrors 'just' require a couple of photocells and photochromic film or crystals in the mirror glass and application of a low voltage to the mirrors when ambient light is low but strong light is detected from the rear.
L322's use the 'auto lights' sensor and another one in the rear view mirror.

I'm pretty sure you'd fail an MoT if you somehow retrofitted high beam assist - if the tester was switched-on enough to notice it and check the type approval.

Post #659913 20th Mar 2023 7:07pm
Ennoch

Phoenix wrote:
High beam assist & auto dimming mirrors are two separate technologies. High beam assist requires a forward facing camera and some pretty intensive image processing tech.
Auto dimming mirrors 'just' require a couple of photocells and photochromic film or crystals in the mirror glass and application of a low voltage to the mirrors when ambient light is low but strong light is detected from the rear.
L322's use the 'auto lights' sensor and another one in the rear view mirror.

I'm pretty sure you'd fail an MoT if you somehow retrofitted high beam assist - if the tester was switched-on enough to notice it and check the type approval.

And this is the question; does the VSE or indeed any late L322 come with the correct rear view mirror? I don't know the L322 well enough to identify if it has the necessary bits fitted as stock, or not. Maybe it doesn't if it was only ever available as part of the VA pack, I don't know?

Your comment does at least make me hopeful that if I ended up with a Vogue or WM rather than VSE that it would be an easy(ish) fit for the side auto dimming mirrors.

MOT wise I'm not concerned; a) there's no part of an MOT that tests auto HB tech (how would you in a bright workshop) and b), even if it was part of the test, an MOT is not an issue for me, luckily.

Post #659917 20th Mar 2023 7:27pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

My old Vogue had a dimming rear view mirror. My 2011 Vogue SE has all the toys. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #659918 20th Mar 2023 7:31pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Our very own Cam Tech Craig retro fitted HBA to a 322.. IIRC, new mirror, new surround and enable in the CCF.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #659933 20th Mar 2023 9:51pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Indeed i did sir... Thumbs Up

So, the L322 DID come with HBA as part of the vision pack BUT 100% can be retro fitted as long as your fitting it to a 2009> model with the digital dashboard... It then needs the CCF adjusted to suit Thumbs Up

Post #659941 21st Mar 2023 1:03am
Ennoch

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
Indeed i did sir... Thumbs Up

So, the L322 DID come with HBA as part of the vision pack BUT 100% can be retro fitted as long as your fitting it to a 2009> model with the digital dashboard... It then needs the CCF adjusted to suit Thumbs Up

Awesome, good news. Did you source the mirror used, or new? What was the rough cost of that? It's an early 4.4 TDV8 so will have all the other bits from what you said, just the GAP and mirror required. Was all the wiring in place for the mirror too or did you need to add anything in on that front?

Post #659961 21st Mar 2023 10:54am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Shocked Gordon, the HBA mirror simply plugs into the same plug already inserted in your current mirror. That’s the easy part! Now you need to find the mirror with the correct engineering number on the back… Luckily for you, I’ve just fitted one to a spare RR we have sat here. I’ll grab you the engineering number from that one…
Cost wise? Used or new will simply plug & play (with a change to the CCF) so, I’ve paid as little as £25 off fleabay! New I think some can be north of £600 Shocked

Post #659964 21st Mar 2023 11:41am
Ennoch

Thanks Craig, all very helpful! I'm used to scouring ebay and the likes for various obscure parts so nothing new there, and where would the fun be if it was all too easy? I wasn't sure if there were different loom sections depending on whether certain options have been ticked so it's definitely good that the wiring doesn't need anything extra. The part no. would definitely be useful, but then again so would actually be buying a truck to fit it to in the first place...

Post #659968 21st Mar 2023 12:40pm
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Sounds like a cool retrofit. Looking forward to the engineering/manufacturing number from Craig to compare.

These seem to be the part numbers if you have homelink/garage/gate buttons (433.92 MHZ) as found on the Jag Land Rover Classic Parts site.

LR011348
LR019915
LR024346 Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #659975 21st Mar 2023 4:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1