Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > TDV8 4.4 whooshing then limp mode (restricted performance)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
24valve

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black
TDV8 4.4 whooshing then limp mode (restricted performance)

I wonder if someone could advise where to look.

Our 2010 4.4 tdv8 - I've had a bit of a mare with sorting out a leak from the intake boots - so they've been replaced with silicon jobbies now. I then had problems with an ill-fitting fuel filter, then the wiring to the filter assembly finally sorted out the intermittent amber restricted performance issues.

I then had a two water leaks - they've been sorted and for two days we've been happy. various runs out/starting/stopping etc etc and all gravy.

Tonight, just as confidence was building we filled up (100 quids worth) of morrisons diesel, drove about a mile then turned right and we got a "whooshing" sound, then it hunting a bit, then pinged up red restricted performance and whilst runs/idles just fine is now restricted to under 2,300 rpm/30mph.

I checked errors on the GAP - nothing untoward - the EGR (common) shows, but this has been on forever, anyway - cleared that, but red restricted is permanent and cant be cleared.

I left the car for about half an hour, went out and checked my hoses were all tight, had a small suspicion that the rear left one wasnt quite tight enough, started it up and no errors, and can rev freely.

so, I then took it up the road, revved it up/gave it a bit of welly and all is fine, however after about a mile or so this "whoosh" and then the same thing again - running lumpy, then red restriction. the sound is like a high speed expression of air with a bit of a whistle with it.

again, no untoward errors.

I dont really see where to look, but it sounds like a pipe is popping off when its warm, but that doesnt sound plausible, and if it pops off when warm, what pixie comes along when the cars cooled down a bit and popped it back on?.

has anyone had similar?

Cheers in advance,

Neil. 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #663587 6th May 2023 9:33pm
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Neil

May be worth considering the following.

Had something very similar on my 11my. Started off like yours IIRC then progressed to a bit of kangaroo juice on pulling away from a startup then into RP.

At that point I was hearing a whirrr click repated under the bonnet when switching off and for a few seconds afterwards. Traced it to the throttle butterfly unit on the donut inlet. I could feel the unit cycling. Drilled out the 'box cover rivets to find the gears stripped. Replaced the unit and all is still OK some 4 years later.

HTH Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #663594 7th May 2023 7:40am
24valve

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Santorini Black

Thanks Richard

I do have that whirring and clicking from the throttle body, so its an avenue to investigate.

We've driven it today gently - nothing over 2,500 rpm and its behaved perfectly. I want to give it the beans and see if it'll fail, and I suspect it will - it definately seems like its something that'll occur when the second turbo is kicking in, and if thats the case, does the throttle body have something to do with that?

Neil. 2010 L322 Autobiography Black Edition
1975 Land Rover

Post #663618 7th May 2023 7:41pm
rjff

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

Neil

If it's currently happening at over 2500rpm then it may be this.

Before investigating the throttle body, (easy but not sure of cost or availability) there have been instances of the CSOV valve on the early last facelifts like ours of the CSOV sticking causing an RP such as yours. May be worth checking the linkage is free to move, as there was a later mod to make it more reliable. IIRC this removed the nut fixing with an alternative.

Tech bulletin in this link.

https://www.fullfatrr.com/gallery/albums/u..._TOPIx.pdf

Shows a method of testing too.

Others may be along with other ideas. Cheers
Richard

(there are no such things as an ordinary FullFat, an ordinary cat or too many tools)
2011 TDV8 Vogue Santorini Black
Gap IIDBT

Post #663625 8th May 2023 9:07am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1