Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > My Range Rover > Second time lucky...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
mrtomyard

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Galway Green

Well the plain sailing came to an end... Big Cry

Service completed (oil, cabin, brake fluid and gearbox service) and a clean bill of health!

Click image to enlarge

Gear change was pretty good before but first to second noticeably smoother after the service.

A month or so after the service it intermittently started misfiring slightly from cold start. This was pretty minor to begin with but got considerably worse quite quickly. As the misfire worsened the first time you accelerated after a cold start there were clouds of white smoke behind... My gut reaction was a dicky injector, ran it back to the garage (where I work) and master tech confirmed it sounded like a dicky injector. Well we messed about for hours trying to work out which one...

No fault codes, live data all checked out OK, resorted to getting the scope out to watch crank speed and injector timing to see if we could see the slow cylinder... as soon as the scope was set up the misfire stopped. Tried it everyday for a week and it started and ran perfectly fine. At this point decided to give up and run it for a little longer to see if it developed/came back. The day after I had a 200 mile round trip to view another car, halfway into my journey low oil light came on the dash... Being a seasoned LR owner there are very few warning lights that cause me any panic, however a low oil is worth pulling over for in my book. Found a suitable service station, checked the oil on the dash and below the minimum. Chucked a litre in, still below, chucked another litre in, still below. No obvious leak underneath, decided at less than 1500 miles since the service it couldn't possibly be THAT low so I'd continue my drive. 15 minutes later light was back on. Sod it, will take it steady, view the car (that I am now late for) and worry about it later... Viewed the car (was a nail and didn't purchase), checked oil level again and still below... Decided again that must be a load of rubbish but just in case I'd whack a final litre in and limp it home.

Back into work the next day and asked them to drop the oil and measure how much was in there, only 5l came out Shocked Popped the lower hose of the intercooler and found another litre or so Big Cry Pipe off big turbo and it was very oily... Pipe off little turbo and all OK.

Old engine oil sent off and analysed, fortunately no evidence that the oil level had caused any engine damage. That's the last time I assume it's a broken level sensor! Decided to just have the one turbo replaced, other one appeared to be fine and we were in the middle of a house move and buying another car... New Garrett turbo was eye watering but didn't quite make me cry, can't run an RR on fiesta money! A couple of days labour and problem solved!

During all of this a D4 came up so sale locally and joined the fleet...

Since the turbo the misfire hasn't returned... Hopefully the misfire was as a result of the engine ingesting huge volumes of it's own oil, time will tell.

It's a joy to have the RR back, owned it less than 12 months and it's cost a small fortune to run but I honestly wouldn't drive anything else. Wouldn't mind a trouble free 6 months now though! 2011 Vogue 4.4 TDV8
2009 D4 HSE
2003 Freelander
2001 D2 TD5
1963 Series 2a 109 Truck Cab

Post #663646 8th May 2023 4:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12