Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Sump temperature is climbing very hot!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SPOautos

United States 2011 Range Rover Supercharged 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White
Sump temperature is climbing very hot!!!

Hey guys! Glad to have found this forum! Wondering if anyone has some experience with a issue I'm having....

2011 L322 5.0 supercharged and the sump temp is getting very hot....like I just happened to notice it while watching live data on the scan tool, scrolling down I saw it at 250F and climbing! I cranked it from cold and it had been sitting at idle for about 20 minutes, I let it cool down and get down to around 100F then cranked it and it just steadily climbs, when it got to about 215 and climbing I shut it off again.. Fan was running as normal both times.

The oil temp and coolant temp were both at around 200F. The oil is full and I don't have any codes, timing is good, fuel pressure is good.... everything else seems fine.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Post #664032 13th May 2023 8:08pm
SPOautos

Does anyone know exactly where the sump temp sensor is located?

Post #664035 13th May 2023 9:03pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/engine-o...20degrees.

For a dual-purpose car, engine oil needs to be at least 220 degrees F to burn off all the deposits and accumulated water vapor. For every pound of fuel burned in an engine, the combustion process also generates a pound of water! If engine sump temperatures rarely exceed 212 degrees (water's boiling point), the water will mix with sulfur (another combustion byproduct) and create acids that can eventually damage bearings. As for ultimate power potential, the general consensus among most racers is that hot oil and cool water make more power in most engines. Cold engine oil causes excessive frictional drag on the bearings and cylinder walls. A quality conventional ( not fully synthetic ) motor oil will tolerate oil sump temperatures up to 250 degrees, but starts breaking down over 275 degrees. The traditional approach is to try to hold oil temperatures between 230 and 260 degrees. Even on a short-duration, drag-only combo where oil is frequently changed, you would not want to routinely see oil temps under 200 degrees.

A full-synthetic oil will withstand sump temperatures in excess of 300 degrees, and for hardcore professional racing, some oval-track race teams are experimenting with ultra-thin, specially formulated, race-only synthetics operating at 350 degrees or even higher.

Also remember that a high-end engine is built as a total combination. Piston-to-wall clearances, piston ring end-gaps, and bearing clearances are specifically tailored to match the engine oil's characteristics and intended operating temperature.

So in reality ... you want it to be up there at that temp ... just depends on how high it goes beyond that. From that text you still have a lot of headroom.

Remember the coolant will want to be up at around 200F as well ... and your oil is cooled by the coolant ... so its unlikely to go below what the coolant is once the engine is running at normal temps.

I.e. your engine oil wont receive any cooling until it goes above the 200F that the coolant is held at, but the higher it goes above, the better it will be cooled. V8 or else ...

Post #664036 13th May 2023 9:27pm
SPOautos

@fisha I appreciate the info.....Have you happened to ever look at your sump temp at idle with a scan tool? What is normal for these specific 5.0 Supercharged engines? Someone told me even with intense mountain driving they have never seen their sump temp reading get over 220f but maybe they were looking at something else like regular oil temp...not sure.

I have no doubt mine would have climbed more, it was climbing steady when I shut it down a little over 250f

Post #664051 14th May 2023 1:37am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Not many 5.0 S/C's over this side of the pond, mostly diesels, USA forums and the Jag forums will have more info on S/C's....

The temp will rise if the vehicle is stationary, it will tell you if anything is wrong or the temps are out of specification....

I think you are worrying about an issue that isn't really there, if there are no faults showing then everything is fine, even if the sensors fail it will throw a code.....

Just enjoy it and don't worry so much.... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #664061 14th May 2023 9:45am
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

What is the ‘sump temp’ measuring exactly? The oil temp would be the crucial data I would think. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #664066 14th May 2023 10:14am
chdavis

2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Galway Green

My oil temperature is usually a bit cooler than my coolant temp. What weight oil are you running? 2012 Range Rover HSE | 2011 Range Rover Autobiography | 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 2013 Mercedes-Benz G550, 2008 Ferrari F430, 2007 Volkswagen Touareg V10 TDI

Post #666622 15th Jun 2023 12:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1