Home > Technical (L322) > 2002 TD6 Replacement Engine Mounts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stirlo

Australia 
2002 TD6 Replacement Engine Mounts

G'day from Australia.

I'm currently mid way through an engine transplant in my 2002 TD6 and have found the rubber in both of the engine mounts is perished / cracked so I'm intending to replace them while the engine is out and access is dead easy.

The TD6 diesel (BMW M57) has hydraulic engine mounts which are actuated by vacuum and cost circa GBP 165 each, whereas the same era 4.4 V8 petrol (BMW M62) has solid mounts which cost circa GBP 30 each. They both look to be dimensionally identical from photo's I've studied online.

I would much rather spend GBP 30 than GBP 165 (who wouldn't?), so was wondering whether the 'hydraulic' feature of the TD6 mounts really makes a noticeable difference to dampen engine vibration, or whether there will be negligible difference with cheaper V8 mounts.

So does anyone have any first hand experience installing V8 (M62) engine mounts in a TD6 (M57), do they fit and is there any noticeable difference in engine vibration?

Did BMW use similar hydraulic mounts in the early 2000's X5's fitted with the M57 3.0d diesel engine?

Post #661706 13th Apr 2023 1:22am
Stirlo

Australia 

Follow up. I have now installed the M62 engine mounts in my M57 TD6 and can report that only a very minor vibration can be felt at idle speed which goes away as soon as engine speed increases. I’m content with the result and happy to have saved a fair bit of cash.

Post #665068 25th May 2023 7:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1