Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > What do you do , when changing your car?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluebird

Wales 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black
What do you do , when changing your car?

I was thinking of changing my RR 405 V8 diesel. Wanted to go to a main dealer as I wanted the comfort of a Land Rover warranty. Phoned and they asked what condition, have you 2 keys and main dealer service and then offered £2k less than motorway! The car I was interested was a SVR and when I went into motorway as if I owned the car , they quoted me £17k less than the price I would have to buy it for. I know they need to make money , but that is a disgrace. When you buy your RR do you go to main dealers, car dealers or private.

Last edited by Bluebird on 3rd Sep 2023 9:21am. Edited 3 times in total

Post #672575 2nd Sep 2023 8:46pm
RiverBlanche

England 

Hi,

that's the thing, do your homework then find the best deal (may not be the cheapest deal) but what ever the best deal for you is Question

I would sell to who ever gives me the most, and buy where the best deal is, Preference would be private sale and private purchase but depends how much you value a warranty (a mine field on it own Rolling Eyes )

everyone needs to make living but some dealers (L/R) do take the Censored

My last 2 deals have been selling to wbac and buying new at main dealer (no longer a L/R) and both deals cost noticeably less than the last L/R used car deal we did Shocked

happy hunting Thumbs Up

Post #672580 2nd Sep 2023 8:57pm
Proftinkerpot

Northern Ireland 

I would agree that dealers pricing is just getting more ridiculous and of course finance rates are up massively too. If you can sell privately or to a car buying site, you will get a better price than from a main dealer. I had a low mileage X3 35d a few years ago. It was for sale as a 1 owner car in a non franchised dealer. I got to see the V5 and wrote to the previous owner, explained I was looking at the car and was curious why it hadn't gone back to the dealer as an approved used. They kindly rang me and explained that the dealer was offering significantly less than WBAC so that is where it went. The non franchised dealer must have sourced it from them as the car hadn't travelled far.
I had always assumed the dealer had the pick of the best cars of their brand but because they have higher prep costs and warranty costs, a.sometimes they have to let cars go. I recently heard that this is the case more frequently now.

Post #672586 2nd Sep 2023 9:37pm
Phoenix

United Kingdom 

I don't know where you heard that from, but it's not correct - very few trade-ins got to auction now. Dealers of any marque will be retailing vehicles of an age that you'd likely only see on sale at private traders or car supermarkets (which are generally owned by the companies that own dealerships). Prep costs are not at retail (obviously!) and the resale cost reflects the prep standard & ongoing warranty liability. Any non-brand vehicles generally go to the group 'car supermarket' outlet - this is where any corners will be cut, not at the brand outlets. If there are brand outlets in group, then the trade-ins will be offered to them first. What has changed is that the trade-in inspections have to be done with 20-20 vision, no more ignoring of fluid leaks, EML's, drooping suspension etc. etc. - otherwise the sales reptile loses commission on their sales to the value of the repairs - at least for the group I work for. Long overdue IMO.

Post #672588 2nd Sep 2023 9:50pm
Rambles

2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

One option is to avoid changing cars so often. There will always be a bid - offer spread when selling / buying to / from a dealer.
Had my L322 for 12+ years now…..against the cost of 30-50k to trade up to a newer 405 it is more worthwhile to me to spend 5-10k in keeping my L322 as perfect as can be….

Post #672610 3rd Sep 2023 9:05am
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

buy it cash, run it until it dies, sell it for scrap, buy another.... at least that's the theory I use with the work trucks. the household Cars are a little different.

I tend to buy them used for cash, never new. keep them 5-8 years, then trade them in to the dealer. It's definitely not the best deal I will ever get for the old car, but I've given up caring that much, If the deal is close enough then I will go for it. When I traded the red 322 in to Beadles it went to auction, as I saw it a trader a few weeks later, but that was a while ago now. Im about 2/3 of the way through this 405 before I'll get rid of it!

the last car I got rid of was the Mrs 500x to WBAC. they chipped me a bit we haggled, I got paid, much less hassle than the tyre kickers who would no doubt be round to look at it. And the bonus is no one had to drive it and listen to the very noticeable diff whine! There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #672646 3rd Sep 2023 9:51pm
Bluebird

Wales 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

Never tried this, but I coould buy off a non main dealer, and then take it to a main dealer to do their checks so I could buy a LR warranty. If problems with those checks, I would have thought that they should be covered by the non main dealer warranty.

Post #672683 4th Sep 2023 1:05pm
Jay Porsche

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV6 Fuji White

I bought my 405 from Sytner Select in January. I traded in my Panamera which they gave me 14.5k for (about the same as wbac offered) and they sold it for £19k a week later.

Sytner select are different to Sytner in that they sell the cars that Sytner would normally auction off, but they use the same premises.

In hindsight I should have sold the Panamera privately.

Post #672685 4th Sep 2023 1:36pm
LiftedDisco

England 

Just going on what we did with our last change and also the similar experience when our son changed his car…

We sold to Motorway - our son made the mistake of listing his late on the Saturday, thinking it would go out for sale on the Monday but somehow they put it up for sale on Sunday. Who in the trade looks to buy secondhand vehicles on a Sunday afternoon??? No-one, that’s who and he got low offers (albeit still ahead of WBAC.

We then listed our Jag F-Pace midweek - faultless service getting around £2k more than the dealer had offered for a trade-in and the killer was that it went to a main dealer elsewhere in the country.

Easy sale, and cash in the pocket for the new vehicle deal.

Post #672704 4th Sep 2023 8:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1