Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L460) > Brake hold purpose?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
D3fin4

Australia 
Brake hold purpose?

my brake "hold" was enabled by default, and seemed to add a few extra jolts when coming to a stop and starting again. so i disabled it in the settings, thinking it was the same as old 'hill holder' but hill holding is still available without the brake hold option enabled. so now i'm wondering what the purpose of this hold function is?

Post #679275 2nd Dec 2023 7:10am
Autobiography

2018 Range Rover SVAutobiography 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black

So you don’t need to keep your foot on the brake at traffic lights…

Post #679278 2nd Dec 2023 8:34am
D3fin4

Australia 

Thanks, I just found this explanation too:
“Hill start assist is focused on preventing rolling when starting on hills, while auto hold is focused on keeping the car stationary during extended stops without requiring the driver to keep their foot on the brake.“
I guess that would be useful in stop/start traffic.
I just thought it felt strange to have an extra jolt when starting from a light.
Now I understand. Smile

Post #679279 2nd Dec 2023 8:42am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I always use the queue assist in heavy traffic, no need to brake at all, car holds itself still, pulls away with the slightest touch on the accelerator.... IMHO one of it's best features... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #679281 2nd Dec 2023 9:15am
D3fin4

Australia 

Oh… I haven’t seen queue assist in settings yet.. will check the guide for this one too. Thanks.

Post #679299 2nd Dec 2023 2:29pm
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I guess it could cost you a bumper and headlights to find out if you have it.... Rolling with laughter

Just noticed yours is a 460... pretty sure it will have it or something similar... Thumbs Up Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #679313 2nd Dec 2023 8:34pm
p38arover

Australia 2004 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Adriatic Blue

Sounds like the feature that was on my old 1955/56 Jaguar Mark VII auto. It was great, especially when stopped, facing downhill, in traffic. Ron B. VK2OTC
2004 L322 V8 Auto
2007 Yamaha XJR1300
Previous: 1983, 1986 RRC; 1995, 1996 P38A; 1995 Disco1; 1984 V8 County 110; Series IIA

Post #679322 2nd Dec 2023 11:36pm
Westminster

United Kingdom 
Re: Brake hold purpose?

D3fin4 wrote:
my brake "hold" was enabled by default, and seemed to add a few extra jolts when coming to a stop and starting again. so i disabled it in the settings, thinking it was the same as old 'hill holder' but hill holding is still available without the brake hold option enabled. so now i'm wondering what the purpose of this hold function is?

Mine was also enabled and although it was nice at the traffic lights, it made nudging forward in a parking space (after you'd stopped short and Brake Hold had applied itself) a bit of a hairy exercise as you had to accelerate to overcome the brake hold and then quickly brake before you hit the wall.

It is actually not needed anyway, because unlike my 2020 L405, in the L460 if you come to a stop at the lights and press the brake pedal harder than normal, the green HOLD light will come on anyway and you can then remove your foot from the brake ready to accelerate when the lights change.

Post #681712 2nd Jan 2024 6:40pm
Flugplatz

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Aintree Green
Re: Brake hold purpose?

D3fin4 wrote:

As with sooo many aspects of JLR tech, the 'hold' function isn't quite up to the job. That you have to configure it via various levels of menu is odd when it's been a std feature of Mercs etc for over 12 years. But the biggest issue is that it doesn't release smoothly enough. If you're parallel parking, say, it feels like you have to extraordinarily gently apply the throttle otherwise the car springs forward once the 'tension' of hold is suddenly released. Other marques do this far better and more intuitively. Calibration of throttle generally is awful (D350) and particularly in the 'hold' function. In this regard, RR product is miles off the quality of Merc/BMW/Porsche etc. Even our 6 year old A160 station car knocks spots off the Rangie. Until Tata is replaced by a proper automotive parent with deeper pockets and less of the "that'll do" mentality, we grin and bear it. Shame, as the core product idea of a Rangie is still unsurpassed by any of the competition.

FP

Post #690183 7th Apr 2024 8:20pm
Phil.

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

That’s my experience too which is why the hold function is turned off permanently. It then holds well at junctions and on inclines. I guess the only time worth using the hold function is when towing something heavy? MY23 D350 HSE
On my 7th RR plus various other JLR vehicles

Post #690202 8th Apr 2024 6:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1