Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 2010 4.4TDV8 Don’t trust the range to empty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Goldstar

2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Stornoway Grey
2010 4.4TDV8 Don’t trust the range to empty

Ran into a bit of a snag today. Had 18 miles to empty and set off the go somewhere and fill up (I know it shouldn’t be left so low….). Got to the fuel station with 5 to go and the car cut out. Pressed start. Crank like a machine gun “ratatatat, no fire. Try a couple more times. Nothing. Hmm looks like I’ve run out of fuel. Damn those sensors. Lesson identified.

Luckily I’m at the Asda fuel station in High Wycombe. Unluckily this place is bedlam at the best of times and today it’s even worse as half of the pumps are out of service and the bowser is there topping up the unleaded. I can’t move the car and I’m literally 5 yards from a pump right in front of me. I eventually find a way to move the car.

Red handle under the drink holders if you didn’t know. Remove drinks holders. Lift plastic flap type cover. THeres a button type thing that you need to turn through 90 degrees from 12 to 3 o clock (easy with a screwdriver which clearly I don’t have but do-able with a key) and pull the red handle (gulp). Have your foot on the brake when you do it as this is the emergency release for the parking brake. Good to know when you need recovering. So eventually I get the car to the pump (it was down hill except the last bit-thank you the guy who helped me push the last 6 feet) and fill up. Excellent I think, now we’ll be on our way home for pizza. Nope. Crank no start.

No problem. Remove the air via the shrader valve on the filter. Get covered in diesel. So no air there then.

Try again. Crank, no start. Check fuel rail pressure on IID as I’m cranking. Big fat zero. Ring RR mate. He scratches head and rings another mate. Try this he says. Ignition on (no crank) for 10 sec and off. Do that 3 times and try again. Follow instructions and try again. First 5 sec of cranking nothing and then I start to see fuel pressure rising and we get a start. So the system self bled but not by cranking, by HP fuel pump running on/off as described above.

Most of you probably already knew this but for those that didn’t it may save you if, like me, you play jeopardy with the range to go and lose. Dec 2021- 2010 Facelift TDV8 4.4 AB in Stornoway Grey.

Post #680987 22nd Dec 2023 11:50pm
GraemeS

Australia 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Bournville

IIRC its 30 seconds on rather than 10 seconds each time, but maybe that was for my TD5 D2.

Post #680990 23rd Dec 2023 12:10am
Goldstar

2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Tbh Graeme I didn’t time it so it could have been anything from 10-30 sec but the principle holds true. Dec 2021- 2010 Facelift TDV8 4.4 AB in Stornoway Grey.

Post #680993 23rd Dec 2023 12:17am
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

As an add-on to this, from experience of running out of diesel (twice now Rolling Eyes ).

If you add fuel from a jerry can, beware you may need upto 10 litres to get the fuel system to re-bleed / engine to re-start (at least for 3.6 TDv8) - so either a 10 litre jerry can or 2 visits to the fuel station with the standard 5 litre jerry can !

On the second occasion for me, the AA man told me some newer cars need even more fuel adding before they'll re-start - although I'm not sure why that would be !).
On the first occasion I didn't know & only added 5 litres. It wouldn't re-start so I ended up on a recovery wagon to come home - where more fuel was added & it immediately re-started.

The other thing is that using a fuel can outlet tube, it's very easy / likely that you trip the misfuel device in the tank filler (the yellow flap) - causing lots of pain later when it stops you filling up at a normal rate with a standard petrol pump.
The misfuel device then needs re-setting with either the correct £10 LR plastic tool or a pience of steel coat hanger bent to the right shape to do the job. Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #681007 23rd Dec 2023 2:07pm
mjq07

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Sumatra Black

That's interesting as I've run mine down to 0 miles and when filling up I've got less than 90 litres in so always assumed it was very pessimistic.

Post #681368 28th Dec 2023 9:49pm
dingg1

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

Anyone who runs the tank down to minimum and runs out of fuel deserves what they get imo.

It really is a pointless game to play...
Merry Christmas 🎅😂😂

Post #681369 28th Dec 2023 10:06pm
Pawl

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Cairns Blue

Unfortunately, with the known unreliability of Range Rover Fuel Tank senders, at least the first time usually happens while you still think you've got 1/4 of a tank or more of fuel.

The 2nd time is when you still don't believe what happened the first time Rolling with laughter Paul,
2001 Discovery 2 TD5, 211,000 miles & climbing
2006 FFRR TDV8 Vogue 145,000 miles & climbing
Member of Midland (Land) Rover Owners Club, www.mroc.co.uk

Post #681371 28th Dec 2023 10:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1