Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > 2nd Battery, Suitable ACR? (TDV8 4.4)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Siftah

Spain 2011 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Thanks! Yeah, I spotted there's a couple of bolts that need grinding off, that's not a problem.

It looks like that battery's a bit lower capacity, but higher CCA - I really want more capacity but don't need the cranking capacity, so it's probably not the battery for me but it's interesting to see the sizes.

It looks like it's 175mm high but with flat terminals and just about fits with a little to spare, so I *should* be ok with a 190mm height battery with protuding/male terminals! Smile

Post #641180 28th Aug 2022 8:32am
wayneg

Australia 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

I have moved on from my original setup as discussed, I now have a camper trailer with 2 x 100ah batteries and a 225w solar panel permanently connected. Saying that I never had any worries with the previous setup
 2007 TDV8 VSE
2003 TD6 gone.
2002 P38a gone
1999 P38a gone
1997 p38a gone
1993 VSE gone
1992 VSE gone
1966 Series 2a with V8 conversion gone

Post #641188 28th Aug 2022 9:32am
Siftah

Looks cool!

I love the idea of the camper trailers and even the smaller teardrop trailers, but the reality is (as with roof tents), they don't really make too much sense for the type of camping we do - for the most part, we have electric hook-up's available on all the sites, so I've limited need to go off-grid for any length of time. We also tend to use the car to travel around, so it's nice to just leave the tent pitched and come back to it each night.

I find the fatty is an awesome car for camping, as we basically leave everything in the boot and just open the back and use it as a workspace/wardrobe/cupboard whilst on-site. Having 12v in it to run some lights, fridge, charge gadgets is handy, especially as we can lock it whilst away from the pitch and not worry about cameras etc going missing...

The majority of my requirement is to run a fridge and have some spare power to charge gadgets whilst travelling (2 to 3 day drives at most) and away from a hook-up.

As I'll be putting in the 100aH-ish battery, it makes sense to add another ~200 EUR's to the build cost and put some solar panels on the roof, as it'd give us the option of camping on sites without electric if needed. There's still a few sites where not all pitches have electric, or you can have a nicer pitch a bit further away from people if you don't need the hook-up. So it's more about flexibility than necessity and hence, not super critical to have so much capacity!

I have the tow hitch to use for charging the car from the hook-up too, so it keeps the electrics simple - plug the CTEK into the mains and let it keep the car topped up when we have a hook-up.

Having said that, I'd love to have a fancy setup like that, just because Smile

Post #641217 28th Aug 2022 1:58pm
john24

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver
battery to battery charger

need to dc to dc charger if you got more and one battery, it safe guard car alternator, by not drawing to much current and smart charge all battlers as well works well when ele winch is on 4x4 not to cook the battery or alternator as you put heat sensor on batteries and alternator

Post #681057 23rd Dec 2023 10:02pm
Siftah

That’s exactly what I did, posts elsewhere on here with the details of my “build”, but it’s basically a 200watt solar panel on the roof with a secondary battery and a DC to DC charger (CTek).

Works great, we can run a fridge pretty much indefinitely and I 3d printed a replacement cigarette socket panel for the boot with 3 sockets and a bunch of USB charging points.

Also keeps the starter battery topped up, so haven’t had any problems with a flat starter battery since fitting it!

Post #681066 23rd Dec 2023 11:29pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12