Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > Deployable side steps seized again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Fla

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Deployable side steps seized again

Hi guys

So I got my RR a month ago, steps didnt really work. I spent a few hours maintaining them and they worked for a while but now have both stopped.

So today I ripped both off to give a full overhaul. I think the motors are fine and the wiring is fine. When I try to open and close the units off the car they are extremely stiff.

My question is. Firstly where is the fuse for the steps, I just want to double check it. I have looked online but Im getting mixed messages so if anyone knows that would be awesome. Question 2 is, has anyone refurbished their steps? What did you do to clean and regrease them to make them last more than a fortnight?

I can get any chemicals, oils tomorrow so if anyone has tips I would really appreciate it. And before anyone suggests the skip, the mrs is a shorty and I like that both my leather seats are undamaged so in my opinion the steps need to stay. I tried to lock them out but the car decided to retract one half way and one fully regardless!

Thanks in advance. Current yokes
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #681436 29th Dec 2023 9:13pm
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

Hi,

I use molybdenum (moly) grease in all the joints and hinges using a grease syringe as it gets into all the joints and then brush it well in after I've pressure washed any old grease & grime away, but not too hard a pressure as to risk penetrating the joints themselves.

Once greased I cycle them a few times, i.e. lock unlock, lock unlock etc and reapply just to be anal about it.

I did try other grease types but noticed the pressure of high speed spray was washing it off, moly seems less resistant to being washed away.

I've had a couple of instances of retracting and then re-extending thinking that there was some form of obstruction when I first got the car, but since following the above routine every couple of months of so it's been fine.

I keep an eye on it, if I see a buildup of grime I'll redo it.

Shame they don't use nipples these days, it would save a lot of hassle.

Andy Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #681440 29th Dec 2023 9:36pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

If these are similar to the L405, I had a lot of trouble with mine on a MY2017 would you believe.
I used a LOT of ACF-50 and physical persuasion to get them free again. The ACF-50 is good, but VERY messy, so you need to protect your driveway with sh*tloads of cardboard.
It’s crazy that JLR don’t provide any purge nipples whatsoever. Anyway, be preared to re-lube at least every 6 months, and exercise the steps several times a week, if you let the car stand unused, they will seize up again, especially the passenger side of course.

A case of “use it, or lose it” Laughing “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #681444 29th Dec 2023 10:29pm
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

I’ve often wondered about adding grease nipples to these steps.

I’ve got a complete set that I took off my old car, both steps, all the brackets and motors, the wiring loom and ECU, etc.

I’ve had them advertised for a while and haven’t had much interest so I might have a look at modifying the brackets to take grease nipples instead.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #681458 30th Dec 2023 1:26am
Haylands

England 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Yes, the deployable steps really do live up to their common misspelling of deplorable....!!!

Mine now work 100% of the time, they are always there when I need them, they are fixed though.... Laughing

David,

That is an excellent idea, stuck steps seems to be the most common moan on a lot of fatty forums etc Pete

2002 L322 Vogue 4.4 V8 Epson Green, Ivory over Aspen Interior (Fatty Offroader) Sold
-Click for Project Fatty off roader-

Post #681467 30th Dec 2023 11:12am
Fla

Thanks guys

Im going to try those few suggestions today and see can I at least free them all up first and then lubrication weekly or monthly. That Moly grease sounds like a good idea so thank for the tip Current yokes
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #681472 30th Dec 2023 12:31pm
FJ12Jagmen

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Santorini Black

I followed another chap on here who removed the plates covering either side of the lower hinges. It's secured with a security Allen headed bolt - need a special Allen key to remove which I got off amazon.
Behind the plate you can see the ends of the hinge shaft. Dirt and dead grease etc jams between the plate and the ends of the shafts. I also found that the shafts had moved slightly to one side, there was no clearance to one of the plates and several mm on the other end. Knocked them back even, cleaned all the crud away and used ptfe grease to lubricate.
Work a treat now. 2007 3.6 TDV8
1979 Mini Special
1988 Yamaha FJ1200
!952 BSA Gold Flash

Post #681476 30th Dec 2023 12:50pm
Fla

FJ

I had also noticed them and have removed the plates and as you say full of crud and rust. I think a couple of hours on the bench and I should be good. I live on a farm road so mine build up with mud very quickly and this was sticking to the grease I had used. Not sure deployable steps and farm mud go hand in hand! Current yokes
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #681480 30th Dec 2023 1:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1