Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > wheel hub tool
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
will308f

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Orkney Grey
wheel hub tool

hi guys
my front offside wheel bearing has started to make a little bit of noise ,so will need replacing .when i had a look seems like every nut and ball joints are all well and truly rusted/seized so think ill be replacing a few more things ...........now as for the wheel hub removal tool can anyone recommend a good one ?
thanks will 2008 3.6 tdv8 range rover Vogue Stornoway grey - Parchment Leather

Post #681980 6th Jan 2024 2:17pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

If it's rusted, you'll need a good Hydraulic press. In which case it's easier to remove the whole knuckle, take it to an engineering workshop and get them to press it out and press a new one in. They'll probably charge you less than £50. (The knuckle may need to go to a workshop anyway to drill out the ball joint screws and re-thread.)

Also, good luck getting the ball joints off and get the swear jar ready! 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #682004 6th Jan 2024 5:15pm
will308f

yep rusty ,that is what i had in mind Thumbs Up ,got most of what i need,just need a recommendation
on a good wheel hub removal tool 2008 3.6 tdv8 range rover Vogue Stornoway grey - Parchment Leather

Post #682018 6th Jan 2024 7:36pm
Red Hot one

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

As GaryRR says, don't waste your time and just get the suspension bits off by undoing the bolts on the the mounting points, find someone with a press, 20 ton at least and some bits of metal tubing to get the bits out, including pressing out the bearing and pressing the new one in, be prepared to buy a new speed sensor, it is unlikely to come out in one piece, when you have the hub spend some time cleaning, possibly painting and cleaning out any rust in the holes for the various components, especially the speed sensor hole, there is very little clearance. the parts are not cheap, I used LR parts, only wanting to do the job once, get them from Duckworths (site sponsor, discount) , Rimmer Bros or another supplier but do yourself a favour and don't go down the "why pay for proper parts" route.
For me the price of components (both sides) was £333 suspension parts, £66 bearings, Speed sensors £174, this included all new bolts, I did the job myself, not too difficult but you have to be methodical about it
Will

Post #682020 6th Jan 2024 8:18pm
will308f

yep all done nut and bolts as well Thumbs Up ,just need to know what hub/spline removal tool have found good 2008 3.6 tdv8 range rover Vogue Stornoway grey - Parchment Leather

Post #682023 6th Jan 2024 9:14pm
Red Hot one

I used the 2 hammer system, one one the splines, whack it with a second bigger hammer, brutal but it works, for the other side I borrowed a hub puller for a local garage as I was worried about the damage I might do with brutal violence, the puller is definitely the way to go.. As for putting it back together again, I tapped thread into the hole in the splined shaft and pulled it back into the hub, again a bit kinder than bashing the hub back on, the clearances are between minimal and non-existent, the rest was easy.

Post #682027 6th Jan 2024 9:46pm
Epson Green

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

Recently undertaken a full overhaul of the front and rear suspension, I searched extensively for a suitable hub/ shaft tool. The only viable option I could find is the genuine JLR tool which from memory is £400+. But this tool won’t press out your wheel bearings.

In the end I did as others have said and taken the assembly to a competent local mechanic to press out the shafts and wheel bearings. You need a really heavy duty press to get the wheel bearing out so why not get the shaft extracted at the same time. Kevin
2012 L322 Westminster 4.4 TDV8
1999 P38A 4.0 SE - Sold

Post #682032 6th Jan 2024 10:53pm
Merchy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Having done this job, without a hydraulic press, one way of carrying out the re-assembly is to put the bearing in the freezer the day before, it can make quite a difference, by reducing the force required to push the bearing into the knuckle ( The knuckle was left in very hot water for 30 minutes ) let it all get to normal temp, then remove the hub from the freezer and fit that. This was carried out with some new parts, knuckle, bearing and the old hub.
Having now bought a 12.5 tonne hyd press, I will still put new bearings in the freezer overnight to make the job easier, just measure all parts at ambient temp to check first before freezing / heating / fitting etc. Been using this trick at sea for many years with no problems. Thumbs Up

Post #682035 7th Jan 2024 12:16am
Red Hot one

As Merchy says, use the freezer and heat up the knuckle, it does make re-assembly a lot easier, I forgot to mention that, as to the hub tool, the one I borrowed was about 60 years old, and worked a treat, i have seen somewhere on the forum someone mentioning a more modern version. I'll see if I can find the link.

Post #682055 7th Jan 2024 11:42am
will308f

Yea looking at getting a hub puller,wheel bearing removal and fitting sorted as well Thumbs Up 2008 3.6 tdv8 range rover Vogue Stornoway grey - Parchment Leather

Post #682208 8th Jan 2024 11:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1