Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Paint worn off side steps
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor
Paint worn off side steps

I have what some refer to as deplorable side steps on my Range Rover (which at the moment are working fine). But on the drivers side the black paint has worn allowing the silver underneath to show through. I was considering painting them but I wonder if there's room for something like this to be stuck on https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361479118824?ha...R9iLmMerYw or will it catch when they retract, anyone tried it ? It's not that big of a deal because you can't see it when the steps retract but it bugs me. Mad Geoff

Post #684376 30th Jan 2024 11:25pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Hi Geoff,

I posted about this a long while back, and purchased a spare pair of steps off eBay for £70 in not too bad condition. Last Summer, I built a “wet-blasting kit” for my new Nilfisk jetwash machine, with the intent of blasting down to bare aluminium, acid-etch priming, and applying an epoxy paint product called “Tank” which is a very tough pickup truck bed paint.

Sad to say, other domestic jobs took precedent over both fine dry windless weekends we had up here in the NE of England last year, and it didn’t happen, Embarassed but I’m hoping for better luck this Summer!

The original paint shows very poor prep of the metal, there seems to be no primer whatsoever, and as soon as the first scratch happens (usually stones underneath) the slow rot begins….
I’m thinking acid etch, then a zinc-based sacrificial primer, then the epoxy, but it’s a very tough environment where the steps are located Sad

I think if you stick something on, there will be joins you can’t seal, and water & salt will be trapped underneath the covering material, accelerating corrosion. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #684377 30th Jan 2024 11:47pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Ive painted many of these with bed liner... You can even apply it with a roller if you don't have spraying equipment... Thumbs Up

Post #684379 31st Jan 2024 12:52am
ABAB

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I gave up and replaced the steps. The newer ones are now plastic coated underneath. 2016 SDV8 AB

Post #684397 31st Jan 2024 10:48am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

The steps aren't rotten, just where I get in and out the black paint has worn through to the aluminium. I think I'll give Craigs solution a try when the weather gets better - until then I'll just leave it. Geoff

Post #684419 31st Jan 2024 1:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1