Home > Wheels & Tyres > Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac speed rating question
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
strongstuff

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac speed rating question

Hello all,

So I recently had 5 x 255/55/20 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs fitted at National Tyres, I've always had good service there as I used to know the manager and the other lads there know that I'm fastidious with my car so they are generally very careful with rims etc.

That lad has gone from there now though and all the staff seem new and not so interested in giving the great service any more, I'll be going elsewhere next time.

The advertised tyres that I bought and paid online for were "R" speed rated so 106 mph, I don't need any more than that so that isn't an issue for me.

But ...

My mate noticed at the weekend (I hadn't even looked) that the fitted tyres are "Q" rated, so "only" 99 mph

Now I've looked, I can't even find anywhere that lists those tyres as "R" rated, the ones fitted to mine are the correct XL and LR marked so it may have been an error on the National website.

I suppose my question is, would that bother anyone else? It's bothering me because they aren't what I paid for, the speed difference isn't a thing for me anymore, I was a bit silly when I first got my 4.2 SC 4 years ago and got 5 points, I also live in Wales where the new 20 limit has come out so I have slowed down a lot, and quite rightly too.

I guess the first point of call is to go to National or should I just ring customer service?
I didn't have the best of experiences this time, I went to collect the car and it was right down on the bump stops because they'd put it in "jacking mode" (I know, no such thing) when they changed the wheels/tyres I had a bit of a problem with heights and it lowering randomly after they did that until I recalibrated with my GAP iid after a day or 2.

Any thoughts are welcomed!

Click image to enlarge
 2008 L322 4.2 V8 SC Stornoway Grey
2006 L322 4.2 V8 SC Java Black

Post #685438 12th Feb 2024 1:11pm
Dtech

England 2011 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Santorini Black

My main concern would be, is your insurance valid running on tyres rated at only 99mph, when your vehicle is capable of much higher speeds.

Post #685439 12th Feb 2024 2:02pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

The 255/55R20s are 99mph. I have had them as my winter tyres L405 5.0SC for almost six years now. I'm happy with them for that purpose. I would not want them all year as the handling, braking, noise and economy on road are inferior to summer road tyres.

The 255/55R19s that were my winter tyres on my last 322 had a slightly higher speed rating, I think it was 115mph, but not certain. Maybe the advertiser has assumed the Duratracs were all the same and muddled the ratings up.

As long as you know what it is and keep it in mind while driving I don't think it really matters in the UK, that tread pattern requires a gentler and more thoughtful approach anyway, and if you aren't going to Germany with a view to travelling at (say) 105mph then you are really no worse off. I'd just forget the misdescription. Kicking up about it will just be a hassle and you might struggle to prove a loss given UK speed limits.

Tell your insurers. Mine had no problem with them. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #685473 12th Feb 2024 8:14pm
strongstuff

Thank you, a very well thought out and sensible reply.

Yes it would be a hassle and serve no purpose to make a complaint about the difference, I may email them to point it out just for information.

I had them fitted because as I think I said in my other post about them, I now have to drive where I used to be able to walk when I go dog training, I'll probably be leaving them on for the summer as I'll still need to get to the same places and "summer" can still be as wet as winter these days.

Telling my insurers is a good call, I'll do that today.

I haven't noticed a great deal of difference in road noise which I'm happy about, I do drive much more sensibly these days anyway, even in extreme rain we've had recently I've not been concerned about handling.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. 2008 L322 4.2 V8 SC Stornoway Grey

Post #685504 13th Feb 2024 8:22am
strongstuff

Just got off the phone to my insurers, no problem at all using AT tyres, no change to the policy etc, as long as they are the correct width, 255 in my case, so that's all good. 2008 L322 4.2 V8 SC Stornoway Grey

Post #685526 13th Feb 2024 11:03am
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Also, duratracs were fitted by LR themselves to a limited edition discovery when it released , so technically they are a factory fitted tyre to models which can exceed the 99mph

To me, the more important number is the load rating as that is what you could break even at slow speeds if you know what I mean. V8 or else ...

Post #685557 13th Feb 2024 7:13pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

Yes, the Duratracs are the LR homologated "professional off road" tyre for L405 as well as L322 and L460. Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #685584 13th Feb 2024 10:33pm
strongstuff

fisha wrote:
Also, duratracs were fitted by LR themselves to a limited edition discovery when it released , so technically they are a factory fitted tyre to models which can exceed the 99mph

To me, the more important number is the load rating as that is what you could break even at slow speeds if you know what I mean.

Thanks, yes the load rating is correct 110 XL and are LR marked too. 2008 L322 4.2 V8 SC Stornoway Grey

Post #685804 16th Feb 2024 10:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1