Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Off Topic > Eyesight....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue
Eyesight....

The headmaster has objected to my reference to the effects on eyesight caused by glare from LED headlamps, OE/adapted or otherwise.

Quite a few have disagreed with me, fair enough.

I am of the opinion that some of those who have modified their existing lighting because "they cannot see the road ahead that well" could benefit from having their eyes tested in case the issue is there.

Like many others I noticed a gradual deterioration with age - from the age of 60 (IIRC) my eyes were tested (to a higher standard than required for a car) every 5 years for my HGV licence and then when 70 every year. Just over a year ago I had lens replacement surgery and of course my eyes are now more sensitive to light.

As a result of this I don't feel the need to modify my existing lights.

Glare from LED lights can still be a problem sitting over 2m from the ground.

Post #684663 3rd Feb 2024 11:47am
Robert

France 2007 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I do agree, Led lights are terrible, specialy as they are not well "aimed" and living in France that's very often the issue. I do not have any eye sight problem. People often forget to reset their beams after having hooked up a trailer or worse a tin/plastic tent. So you're not allone on this item!

Post #684674 3rd Feb 2024 2:41pm
Reggie

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I remember reading the summary of a study into this not so long ago...

Basically, it's the 'whiteness' of the modern lights that is the problem. The purity is hard for our eyes to cope with.

Or something like that.... Very Happy

Post #684681 3rd Feb 2024 6:11pm
JayGee

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Orkney Grey

I’d like to see mandatory 5 yearly eye tests for all drivers and stricter MOT headlight tests. Faulty headlights that project light beyond the dipped pattern have always been a hazard even before HID systems came in. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #684706 4th Feb 2024 10:59am
SamThomas

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Baltic Blue

I'd go a bit further than 5 yearly eyesight tests.

Once you get to 60 a full medical, then at 65, then 70 & then every year from then on (same as HGV/PCV drivers).

And yes, stricter MOT headlamp alignment tests.

IIRC when HID's came out the dipped beams had to auto-adjust, does this apply to LED's.

Post #684861 6th Feb 2024 11:09am
JayGee

If the LED's replace HID bulbs then auto leveling will work the same assuming the autoleveling is correctly adjusted and working. HID systems also have to have high pressure wash systems and not the old mini wipers. If you fit LED's to old halogen dipped beam systems then there is more chance of poorly aligned or hazed lenses causing issues. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #684864 6th Feb 2024 12:13pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

My understanding having spoken to our local MOT man is, LED bulbs cannot be fitted to replace halogen bulbs. LED light clusters can be retro fitted a'la Defenders with 7" sealed units can be retro fitted with LED replacement headlamps. LED bulbs & HID bulbs cannot be distinguished between so would NOT fail an MOT... Hope that helps? Thumbs Up

Post #684879 6th Feb 2024 3:58pm
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

Everything your really couldn't care about related to MOT & lighting here https://www.motester.co.uk/mot-test-of-lights/

It's against the law to fit a HID or LED "bulb" to a halogen bowl, however, as they point out, they're not allowed to open anything to check it, but they could fail it for some other reason like dispersal or cutoff etc.

HIDs, specifically Xenons, had to have washers and self levelling due to the brightness and hazard of dazzle. However, LEDs don't require that and seems manufacturers have stopped fitting washers except to high performance or off road vehicles again. Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #684881 6th Feb 2024 4:13pm
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

Just to clarify, washers for hid lighting only became testable for mot purposes on September 1 2009.
Cars manufactured before that date may or may not have them fitted but they are irrelevant for mot purposes. My own car has washers and wipers fitted but they are never tested come mot time.

Post #684893 6th Feb 2024 7:33pm
Bill

United Kingdom 

JayGee wrote:
Faulty headlights that project light beyond the dipped pattern have always been a hazard even before HID systems came in.

I have been brought to a halt by the LEDlight on a pushbike in our lane. Seemed to be aimed up and at oncoming traffic. Maybe not by design. The second led on the chaps head helmet added to the confusion. Bike lights can be a real nuisance and I assume unregulated/unchecked anyway. Filters are in fact so good that in certain circumstances, when the ambient air is already polluted, a diesel car will tend to extract more particles from the air than it emits. Emissions Analytics worked with........etc etc

He who dies with the most toys wins...

Post #686291 23rd Feb 2024 3:59pm
JayGee

LED Bike/tactical/head torches can be seriously powerful and unlike automotive applications are not governed by any self levelling or beam cutoff devices. 2012 TDV8 Vogue (L322)

Post #686300 23rd Feb 2024 5:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1