Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Fuel tank cradle/guard
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Spridget

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey
Fuel tank cradle/guard

My rusty fuel tank cradle was annoying me so much that I gave it a good wire brushing and covered it with a black Bilt Hamber wax. The rust of course is still doing it's work underneath. I would like to get it off and do a good job on it or even replace it with a new and properly protected one. I suspect a bit of weld/patching might be in order on the original.Mine is the one with both sides the same length and I haven't seen any up for sale or maybe you have to buy the whole tank and cradle assembly. Has anyone done one and is it a huge job to get it off? Does the tank have to come out?.
Any advice appreciated.

Post #686716 28th Feb 2024 8:56pm
Alex1976

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I am looking at doing the same as my tank cradle is looking a bit crusty (odd as otherwise under there it is immaculate). I think the issue may be due to water being trapped between the cradle and the tank hence creating a nice rust trap.

I was going to drop the cradle and have it blasted and hot dip galvanised. From what I have worked out so far it is just the prop shaft that needs to come off to allow the cradle to be removed but won’t know for sure until I get under there.

Post #686725 28th Feb 2024 9:54pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

If it’s of any assistance, the guard /cradle also rusted badly on my last L405, I was quoted £990 to replace it - all incl labour, parts and VAT by my main agent - I traded it in as new brakes, pads and discs all round, tyres and service were all required. It didn’t make any sense to pay for these works as I was offered an extremely good price as they were short of vehicles to retail. 2021 L405 Vogue SE 4.4 V8 DIESEL ~ #17

Post #686733 28th Feb 2024 11:05pm
Spridget

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey

Alex1976 wrote:
I am looking at doing the same as my tank cradle is looking a bit crusty (odd as otherwise under there it is immaculate). I think the issue may be due to water being trapped between the cradle and the tank hence creating a nice rust trap.

I was going to drop the cradle and have it blasted and hot dip galvanised. From what I have worked out so far it is just the prop shaft that needs to come off to allow the cradle to be removed but won’t know for sure until I get under there.

I think the exhaust and heat shield have to come off as well. The tank seems to be supported by the cradle so I wonder if the tank will stay in place when we drop the cradle or does it have to come out as well?
It seems that the Evoque is well catered for with new ones but sadly not the FF.

Post #686787 29th Feb 2024 3:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1