Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
crj007

United Kingdom 
Help Please - Buying a 2017 Range Rover Vogue

Hi All
I'm new here so please bear with me.

I'm thinking of purchasing a 2016/2017 Range Rover. We've had relatively new discoveries before and the one we have now is a 20 plate on lease going back in March.

Instead of leasing I'm thinking of getting a 2016/2017 range rover. We only do around 6000-8000 miles per year so wouod not be putting major miles on it..

My question is: Are these vehicles fairly reliable as i've heard some real very expensive horror stories but I suppose you'd get that with most cars from some people.

Any feedback and advise would be much appreciated.

The one I'm looking at has done 33,000 miles.

My other option would be perhaps a Jeep Grand Cherokee. But I really like the look and comfort of the RR.

Thanks

Post #683915 25th Jan 2024 10:23pm
CS

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Corris Grey

See adjoining thread "am I mad etc" Only Range Rovers since 1988

Post #683918 25th Jan 2024 10:57pm
mjdronfield

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Buckingham Blue

https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic68877.html

There may be more info in our Wiki, top right, under the fullfatrr banner…

Thumbs Up 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDV8

Previous cars :
2003 Range Rover Vogue TD6
1999 Discovery Td5 ES
1995 BMW M5 3.8 6 speed
1992 Range Rover 3.9 Efi Vogue
1992 BMW M5 3.8
1988 BMW 735i SE
1989 Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9i
1981 Ford Fiesta Supersport

Post #683920 25th Jan 2024 11:11pm
Ryanmt

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV6 Santorini Black

If you are looking at a 3.0 it will need the timing belts doing based on age which is quite expensive.

Are they expensive? Yes, but no more than any other premium german SUV. Only live once etc!

Post #683953 26th Jan 2024 1:51pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Get an Insurance quote first, you may well change your mind.
It's a buyers market now as owners cant afford the massive Insurance renewal cost, which has been caused by large increase in Landrover thefts.

If you still want to buy, as the prices of L405 are plummeting, go for a 2018+ these have Ultra Wide Band security and are currently being recalled for upgrading this security. Pre 2018 dont have this as their electrical architecture is different.

The JLR tracker system is well known to tea leafs its quickly disabled, so plan costs to instal a S5 tracker and a Ghost2 or equivalent as soon as you take delivery.

Short journeys will cause oil dilution and potential DPF issues on the V6 & V8 diesel Engine. This equals multiple oil changes in a year. So can be expensive to service unless you plan to do this yourself.
Petrol would be better for short journey driving.
Do your research and search the forum. V6 are known for crank failures but heard a few V8's having issues on this forum and if you have FB then look at this Garage he is doing heck of a lot engine replacements etc https://www.facebook.com/MDRSAutomotive I'm thinking oil dilution Rolling with laughter but then again thats just me Whistle

Apart from that, they are great cars and are a pleasure to drive. 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #683969 26th Jan 2024 2:53pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

As an L322 owner who has just purchased an L405, my best advice is:

- 4.4 SDV8 or petrol. The 4.4 diesel and 5.0L petrol supercharged were both fitted in the L322, many of which are now on 150,000+ miles (including mine) as a testament to the longevity of these engines. My 4.4 has been fantastic. The 3.0 SDV6 has the additional expense of cam belts and some were prone to crank failure. Quality of early Ingenium engines from the era you've suggested is highly questionable! My sister's is 2017, has only done 50,000 miles, has been in the garage for 4 months, and is having a full engine rebuild. The gearboxes and diffs are all very reliable.
- Keep it to £25k. Why do I say this? Well, I learned through my searching and conversations with several brokers that following the whole fiasco over insurers pulling out of the market, many insurers have adopted a £25k threshold - anything up to this is easily insured and reasonable cost. Anything above and the insurers are fewer and considerably more expensive. I just bought a 2015 Autobiography which I've insured for a value of £22,000. The annual cost was only £100 different to my L322
‐ service history service history service history. Proof of regular oil changes is essential. It pays to invest in a Draper oil vacuum, making a 5,000 mile oil change no more than a tea break
- Security. You can easily turn off keyless entry by opening the door, pressing the light button on the fob 3 times followed by the unlock button (this makes an L405 significantly more difficult to steal, as it removes the stealth from a theft and any would-be thief to have to smash a window and set the alarm off, to then spend precious minutes risking being caught plugging in via OBD). If you don't have any already, a Faraday box and pouches really do work also - i tested mine by holding them as close as i could to the keyless antenna and the car would not unlock. Use a good steering wheel lock until you have time to beef up security lighting, CCTV and get additional security features installed such as a Ghost system. Budget £500 for this. When you buy one, Land Rover will be able to tell you if the vehicle had a tracker fitted or not. If you upgrade the head unit to the new style Android one, you can have a hidden sim card which will also act as a tracker. Budget £500-£1,000 for security upgrades

All big luxury 4x4s come with big bills, so it's not necessarily a Range Rover thing. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #684007 27th Jan 2024 12:01am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Had my 2017 TDV6 almost 2 years and just replaced the battery and tyres in that time, although I did upgrade it to the big Brembo brakes, that was just for fun, Laughing but that’s me being ridiculous. Other than that it’s been 100% reliable, -some early glitches with tailgate and nav/infotainment system were all down to a weak battery, so a cheap fix
Some very good advice above, yes it’s due a big “timing belt” service this year probs around £1600, not sure on that figure tho’. Factor that in your negotiations (EDIT: If it’s a TDV6). If its been maintained fastidiously, it will have four or five identical tyres, preferably OEM fit Pirellis.
That’s very low mileage, so it could be a good car. If you go for it, change oil & filter religiously every 6 months.

Good luck! Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Last edited by Gremlin500 on 27th Jan 2024 10:42am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #684013 27th Jan 2024 8:01am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

I picked up a MY17 SDV8 Autobiography just before Xmas last year, so I’m pretty much still in the honeymoon period so to speak but I love it.

Mine has the updated infotainment system, which by all accounts is much better and faster than the previous versions.

As others have said, do your homework upfront in respect of service history, running costs and probably more importantly these days, insurance costs. There are so many horror stories of people not being to even get quoted for cover and yet, I got mine for not a lot more than my previous L322.

33,000 miles isn’t a lot of miles for a car of that age, so that could mean a lot of shorter journeys, which big engines don’t take kindly to, so keep that in mind.

Good luck and enjoy Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #684014 27th Jan 2024 9:27am
Kenmotorist

United States 2018 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Fuji White

Get a CPO vehicle. You're likely more likely to get the cream of the crop that way to begin with or as a baseline. Then use the CPO warranty period to iron out any issues. Decide at the end of the CPO period whether or not you want to keep the car and if you decide to keep it whether you want to get an extended warranty.
Follow this advice for the least painful (other than the initial investment) ownership experience.

Post #686931 2nd Mar 2024 12:42am
Gremlin500

Nice that the OP was so grateful for all the good advice given Thumbs Up

My other question would be: What on earth is CPO? Embarassed “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #686938 2nd Mar 2024 10:11am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Maybe they’ve been busy out looking for a suitable vehicle Whistle

Certified Pre Owned Thumbs Up Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #686940 2nd Mar 2024 10:15am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

a bit like our 'approved used' from LR.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #686941 2nd Mar 2024 10:49am
Gremlin500

Thank you Alan & Stan!
I just noticed it’s OSP terminology………. Whistle “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #686957 2nd Mar 2024 1:40pm
Arch Stanton

England 2018 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Corris Grey

OSP? First time FFRR owner

Post #686958 2nd Mar 2024 1:49pm
Kot

United Kingdom 

Oldage senile pensioner? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2018 SE SDV8 4.4 Byron Blue

Post #686962 2nd Mar 2024 2:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>