Home > Technical (L322) > L322 4.4TDV8 No start NO Crank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RAGE72

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Autobiography Black 5.0 SC V8 Santorini Black
L322 4.4TDV8 No start NO Crank

Hi

I currently have my friends 4.4V8 Diesel 2011 Range on drive.

It was all ok until he came to start and no crank - RAC took to local garage and they replaced bad starter when powered it did nothing so was duff i tested this myself.

However the car still wouldnt start battery was mediocre so i told him to get a new battery as thats a first job. Still no start/crank and when pressing button to turn on the engine there are various abs etc issues all scrolling round.
Having spent 3 months hunting the fault on my own Overfinch i said that will be 1 issue creating a whole raft of nonsense mine turned out to be a part broken cable not able to carry the full power

The garage needed the car of the ramps and out of the way as it was beyond them.

A scan revealed many fault codes on everything al over.

I went to garage and checked over all the fuses etc and all fuses in all 4 fuse boxes appear to be fine however when the ignition was on i saw the fuel pump fuse and the engine management fuses were all without power.

I puled the fuel pump relay and Relay 10 (the one that powers all the supplies to the engine management

The power to the contact input was present at both relays and both relays tested ok.

I installed a bypass on both these relays and all the fuses were now receiving power various items were heard powering up and the fuel pump under bonnet was whirring.

I entered the vehicle and all the various warnings had gone from inside.

A press of the starter and the engine fired right up. Hurrah so that clears the power side and hopefully the main modules.

I drove the car to my house about 3 miles away and it drove fine with no noticed issue.

I then did another full scan while it was running to see what faults if any still remained.

The only fault other than cosmetics like door mirror or lights etc was on the transmission.
CODE P0700-00 was shown saying intermittent Transmission control system (MIL Request)

The scanner states - Possible causes HS CAN circuit open or short to power/ground
Actions required - Check if open or short circuit to ground/power is present in the HS CAN if this DTC is logged with other HS Can-Related DTCs.

There were no other errors listed on the scan.

While it was powered i had a quick dive on live data and also noticed 2 further issues which may or may not be related to the no crank issue.

One MAF sensor was showing 96400 (max was 48k listed) The other maf sensor was showing 0.
The other issue outside range was the fuel pressure was showing 4780 PSI and normal range listed as 435 to 1160 Psi so this was way over pressure.

SO can anyone point me in the direction of where to go next to get Relay 10 online first as it seems thats also part if the feed to the fuel pump relay so it may be that once relay 10 is activated correctly the fuel pump may work on its own.

ANy advise re the maf sensors and fuel pressure would also be appreciated especially if these in turn can be in any way related to the Relay 10 issue.

Thanks for any help with this im keen to get this of my drive and i know he will be missing driving his beast.

Just to add i do have some training in electronics and regularly fix many small electrical issues for this local garage and its customers and i have access to their scanning equipment to do any testing as mentioned as well as my own meters and car testers to go where im pointed to possible causes.

As a starter if the push button or brake pedal switch could be part of issue is there any way to test either of these to rule them out.

Just to clarify he said prior to the no start event the vehicle had been fine

Post #685574 13th Feb 2024 9:16pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I would expect one MAF sensor to read '0' untill the second turbo is activated.

Post #685577 13th Feb 2024 9:39pm
RAGE72

Thanks for your reply but would it also be normal for it to show the 1st maf sensor as massively out of range.

Autodata isn't helping much for some reason there's no diagrams for the 4.4 only the 3.6.

the snippet here from the 3.6 shows that the engine management relay coil is connected at both sides via ECU. What i am struggling to find is what it lists as fuse 2 the 5a fuse that is responsible for applying power to these circuits

As a side note do the techs on here prefer autodata or haynes pro.
I normally use haynes pro but im trialling the autodata although as stated above doesnt seem ti have 4.4tdv8 wiring

Post #685610 14th Feb 2024 12:53pm
kevinp

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

Have you downloaded the 2010-2012 workshop manual from the sites wiki.
Very detailed info that should only apply to the 4.4 I would have thought.

Post #685611 14th Feb 2024 1:13pm
RAGE72

New diagram new start

so im still trying to fugure this out.

according to haynes pro diagram this main relay is R1 the problem is wiith the 0V Connection which shows as coming from A55 on ECU. The power is present at the live contact side and at the 12v side of the coil.

So this definitely points to the ecu as thats where the 0v gnd coil signal is from.

The question though is what does the ecu need yo enable the 0v signal to be sent to the relay.

When the relay is bypassed the vehicle starts and all related error codes are clear so the ecu itself must be running for the most part but it just isnt sending this 0v to relay 1.

Might pull ECU and send this away for testing to eliminate it from the fault finding.

Any ideas before i do this does anyone know what the ecu needs to enable the 0v signal to the main relay r1 ?

Post #686961 2nd Mar 2024 2:22pm
gedebo

Sweden 

I haven't sen it in the 2012 manual, but in earlier publications from LR there has always been an explanation text to the electrical drawings. Maybe in one of the earlier publications? But brake pedal, starter button and maybe glowpluggs spring to mind. If you can find them in livedata, it would be the best way. Then you know that the signal goes al the way to the computer...
God luck!

Post #690836 18th Apr 2024 12:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1