Home > General (L405) > L322 or L405
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
LRRRTRAGIC

Australia 2003 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
L322 or L405

G'day gents.

New member and First time poster, long time Land rover tragic.
I'm from Queensland, Australia.

I'm currently in the process of deciding what RR to get my all time deep love affair with the L322 is slowly becoming a Love affair with the L405. I personally just love these 2 models and find them to be Peak Range Rover.
I have always said to the Mrs that I'd buy her a Rangie to lugg all the kids around in one day (Moreso for me but an easy way to get her onboard right?) After starting a business recently find myself in the position to purchase one. And I want to surprise her for her 30th Birthday with one.

My Dilemma is what model.
I'm Familiar with the L322 and Land rovers in general and I'm more then capable of swinging a spanner on them to keep maintenance costs down (up to a certain skill level atleast)

But id like to hear it from the horses mouth on what would be the pick of the two. V8's only the 4.4 Diesel or the 5.0SC. Reliability and Fixability at the front of mind, everything is much the same I suppose.

We live Semi rural so about 45mins-1 hour anywhere for us. So it will be used as a family car and long distance driving interstate to see family etc etc.

Thanks for reading and I'm looking forward to getting involved with everyone on here!

Cheers Dale.

Post #687322 6th Mar 2024 10:35am
SeldomSeenKid

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

I'm a L322 fan as I love the old school cool design.
Anyway, this video came into my recommended videos last night. Might be interesting to you:

---------------------------------
2008 L322 Supercharged
2007 Porsche 987 Boxster S
2021 BMW iX3

Post #687326 6th Mar 2024 11:44am
Snowy90 L322

United Kingdom 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Giverny Green

Very good video thanks for posting. I guess the point is you have to drive both. As clearly different beasts.
As with all rangerovers i think less is more, fancy electronics will always go wrong more so on a land rover.

Post #687332 6th Mar 2024 1:06pm
LRRRTRAGIC

Australia 2003 Range Rover SE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Top video and unfortunately it doesn't help me.

I can justify either model for several different reasons.
I'm starting to think I'll end up with one of each šŸ¤£

Post #687336 6th Mar 2024 1:31pm
garyRR

United Kingdom 

I've recently upgraded from my 4.4 TDV8 L322 to a 2015 4.4 SDV8 L405 Autobiography.

I was always dubious whether the L405 was worth the extra. Or not. Eventually I took the plunge. For me, the L405 wins hands down, especially the Autobiography model with the active noise cancellation and excellent stereo system.

What the L322 does better:
- the seats are more comfortable
- the better tow car
- the cold/hot mixer in the central dash is actually really useful ā€ for me it feels like it's missing in the L405

What the L405 does better:
- the engine mapping is not far short of a masterpiece
- quietness and overall refinement and comfort is far superior
- considerably less chassis flex and body roll
- fuel economy - considerably more economical!

In terms of the SDV8, 4.4 TDV8 and 5.0 S/C, the 4.4 TDV8 and SDV8 are the same engine - the SDV8 has a few minor modifications. Any issues have typically been well documented on this forum and are generally intake hose related, the exhaust gas temperature sensor, oil cooler o-rings, alternator and air con compressor (I believe the design defect was fixed on the SDV8). The SDV8 has been known for HP fuel pump failure, whereas the TDV8 wasn't known for this. Otherwise, a fantastic engine that really suits the Range Rover.

The 5.0 S/C is also a great engine that makes a great sound. It does have one key design weakness - the chain guides have been known to snap. The job as a piece of preventative maintenance in the UK is Ā£1,500-2,500. Another negative for me is if considering the L322 with the 5.0, it has the old 6 speed ZF Transmission and the old terrain system, whereas the TDV8 got the all new 8 speed transmission and terrain response in the L322 and L405. The 5.0 S/C in the L405 did get the 8 speed transmission and newer terrain response system though. I'd personally pick the diesel, especially for towing, and even more so in the L405 because it is pretty rapid, but if you don't do so many miles or you have access to cheap petrol, then the 5.0 S/C is definitely one to seriously consider. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #687371 6th Mar 2024 10:18pm
Fla

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I think GaryRR summed it up perfectly there. I long to have an L405 but its just not an option with the prices here and limited availability right now so I went for the best L322 I could. I searched for a while and drove hundreds of miles every couple of weekends to find the 4.4TDV8 I have now. I find the diesel to be really nice, I love the engine sound and besides a few things its a top car. My love of the L405 is the exterior design, lack of rust and upgraded infotainment.

Things I dont like about the L322 2012

-The stereo, and I have the mid range one I think 1200W, there is no base but that said the Invery BT adaptor works great and Spotify works perfect
-Wind noise and Tyre noise, I'm finding the wind noise a pain but I have a few fixes for it, hopefully it will reduce
-The back door, they are quite tight to get stuff in and out of
-The heated seat failure issue. Although very fixable but its a pain it breaks

So those are tiny gripes. I find myself smiling when I drive the L322 and also driving like a hooligan sometimes as the 4.4 has some boost.

Best of luck in your decision but either way you and the Mrs will be very happy and very safe. Current yokes
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #687428 7th Mar 2024 9:20am
SeldomSeenKid

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

garyRR wrote:

- the cold/hot mixer in the central dash is actually really useful ā€ for me it feels like it's missing in the L405

I've had a few BMWs in my time and love this feature. In my latest iX3 it's buried 3 or 4 clicks deep in a menu so I don't use it as much and it's like its missing.
I with they had kept it as a rotary dial on the dash.
But I suppose thats the same for all manufacturers these days, your lucky if you get any physical buttons at all. ---------------------------------
2008 L322 Supercharged
2007 Porsche 987 Boxster S
2021 BMW iX3

Post #687435 7th Mar 2024 10:02am
GrumpyPenguin

United Kingdom 

garyRR wrote:

What the L322 does better:
- the seats are more comfortable
What the L405 does better:
-comfort is far superior

That seems to be a bit of a contradiction to me ?

Post #687436 7th Mar 2024 10:45am
madnessgonemad

England 

I had the same dilemma about 2 years ago.I could either buy a very good late L322 or a slightly high mileage L405. High mileage has never put me off; well maintained high mileage is better than low mileage short trips.
I decided on a L322 2012 Westminster with 45k on the clock with one owner and full service history. In 2 years it has been faultless. The warranty runs out this month though, so watch this space!
I think the dashboard is a masterpiece with all the major controls having nice tactile controls. I hate everything controlled by touchscreen.
It is supremely comfortable; I reckon you emerge after 200 miles more refreshed than when you started off!
I have upgraded a few things. Iā€™ve installed a CarPlay screen, replaced most of the lighting bulbs with LED.
Niggles; hardly any. I think the heating is not working brilliantly. Probably the heater valve from what Iā€™ve read. Itā€™s ok but a bit chilly sometimes. Thatā€™s about it.
The 405 handles better and is faster (with the 4.4 tdv8) but you donā€™t buy a RR for outright performance. The 4.4tdv8 performs brilliantly in the L322.
Harryā€™s Garage sums it up well although his is the 3.6.

In short, I havenā€™t regretted my choice for a moment.

Post #687441 7th Mar 2024 11:44am
INTERCEPTOR

Switzerland 2011 Range Rover Autobiography Black TDV8 Barolo Black

I decided to ā€žgo backā€œ to a L322.
Want to use the Rangie for overlanding, and the L322 just seem to be more practical.
But I did enjoy the L405 very much. What I did not like on my L405:
- electrically operated tailgate: sometimes did not close properly, so I couldnā€˜t lock the car
- soft-close did not always work, then the door would not close properly, again not possible ro lock the car
- rear seats did not fold flat

What I miss in the L322:
- keyless
- panoramic roof
- rode comfort and quality

Post #687450 7th Mar 2024 1:55pm
Rex the RR

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

I recently purchased a 2 year old L405 petrol after 10 years with a 4.4 tdv8 L322. I had a 2003 petrol before that for a long time and a P38 petrol before that! I just think that newer is better with a range rover. Don't get me wrong, my tdv8 was a brilliant car and had only done 77k miles when l traded it in. I'm handy with spanners but living in Scotland, not interested in dealing with rust on the underside, and various other places! It's an age thing. The L322 4.4 tdv8 was a great car and only really let me down once in all that time with starter motor failure but you really feel the difference in age/ technology/ ride quality sitting in an L405. Each to their own! My only regret with the new car is that l thought the executive rear seats were a good thing! On the plus side, l have the top notch stereo, brilliant!

Post #687500 8th Mar 2024 12:00am
garyRR

United Kingdom 

I would also add that if considering an L322, I highly recommend getting one with 'double glazing' all round. Compared to my old L322, it made the world of difference to interior quietness! Be sure to check the rear windows, as some with 'double glazing' only had them on the front. 2015 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 SDV8

Post #687585 8th Mar 2024 11:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1