Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L405) > Average miles between regens.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Spridget

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey
Average miles between regens.

Just wondering how many miles are average between regens on a tdv6. Mine is doing about 200 and regens when soot concentration is about 20 and maximum soot load inferred percent is around 50. Must admit I'm not sure what the latter is telling me. Is it a calculation of the soot level in the DPF? Are these figures roughly what others are seeing?
Cheers.
Pete

Post #686521 26th Feb 2024 8:48pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

Hi Pete,

Yes, your findings are about the same as mine, and you are right, its an estimated calculation that your DPF is 1/2 full.

You will find the car is ready for a regen after 200 miles and approaching 50% soot, and if warmed up etc with enough fuel in the tank, will regen almost as soon as you floor the throttle up a motorway slip lane. If that is delayed, mine will go straight into regen at 60%, not warmed up or anything! Needless to say, that could be on a very short journey! That happened to me, and although I did try to rescue the situation by going straight to the m’way, it lopped 50 miles off the AMTR value.

I’ve not bettered the 200 mile figure due to many short/few long journeys. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #686531 26th Feb 2024 9:42pm
ChrisJC

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Aintree Green

Silly question - how do you know when it's doing a regen?

Chris. L405 - 4.4SDV8 Vogue
P38 - 4.6V8 HSE
Land Rover series IIA V8

Post #686616 27th Feb 2024 7:11pm
luxmoggy

Germany 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Montalcino Red

We use the kit talked about here: https://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic60839.html
It is the best way to see what is going on. SDV8 AB MY 2020
MINI Cooper S Cabrio
Kit: Jaguar XK140 (in progress - the website is link to build)

Post #686618 27th Feb 2024 7:42pm
goldeneye32

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Firenze Red

When mines doing a regen, the instantaneous fuel economy goes to ratshit, seems to be about once a week, 200 ish miles. Thumbs Up

Post #686643 27th Feb 2024 11:00pm
Gremlin500

@Goldeneye32,

Yes, you’re right, but then it’s already happening and in control of “when & where”, e.g. in the city centre, or stuck in heavy traffic, with almost no chance of successful completion.
So much better if you can monitor the situation, so YOU can be in control of when & where, to prevent failed regens, minimise oil dilution, minimise engine wear, and maximise “miles to service”. Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #686646 27th Feb 2024 11:29pm
goldeneye32

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Firenze Red

As luck would have it, I live right next to an A303 junction which I use daily, so my car gets a 33 mile dual carriageway and motorway mix, but what i don't know is what the journeys were like before I owned the car, but as it has over 100K on it now (average mileage) I reckon it's had it's fair share of reasonable journeys.
I'm mindful of it now, but maybe the previous owner wasn't, the point I am trying to make is if you know there is a potential issue, then you can try and mitigate it, for warned is for armed and all that.
I must admit that I wasn't aware that during the regen process, excess unburnt diesel is dumped into the sump, which is why the oil viscosity is diluted, nice one JLR!

Post #686656 28th Feb 2024 9:20am
Gremlin500

@Goldeneye32:
I must admit that I wasn't aware that during the regen process, excess unburnt diesel is dumped into the sump, which is why the oil viscosity is diluted, nice one JLR!

I’m not 100% sure you’ve quite grasped what really happens during regen, there’s lots of reading on here if you want to, Kot has been very helpful with articles, etc.

It’s not so much regens to be feared, in fact they need to happen; -it’s multiple FAILED regens.

Granted JLR have a lot to answer for Laughing Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #686670 28th Feb 2024 1:07pm
Spridget

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Corris Grey

So I get a regen about every 200 miles which seems to be about the norm for the V6. I wonder why it is then that my mate who has a Jag XF V6 averages 2300 miles? Same engine surely. Mr. Green

Click image to enlarge

Post #688273 17th Mar 2024 3:08pm
Gremlin500

Hi Spridget,

Yes, same engine, but different Architecture i.e. the DPF is further downstream from the engine in a fullfat, resulting in cooler exhaust temperatures which frustrate the passive regen process, thus requiring diesel-fuelled “Active” regens much more frequently. Thumbs Up “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Post #688320 18th Mar 2024 12:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1