Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L405) > Don't laugh but it is a proud day for me!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ReggieMac

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Don't laugh but it is a proud day for me!

So i finally did my first bit of self maintenance on my FFRR, I managed to replace the front discs and pads! Had to do it over 2 days because of a couple of problems and mostly weather, got soaked on Friday but completed drivers side, finished passenger side on Sunday. Those bloody 6 pot callipers are heavy not to mention the disks themselves! Anyway, everything is working as it should! Whistle

I have the discs and pads to do the rear as well but that will have to wait for another weekend as I am 2 disc screws short and after having to use the 2 new ones I had on the fronts and the grief they gave me to get them out, I will make sure I have 2 new ones for the rears before I start. Big Cry

I am hoping the rear will be a bit easier than the front.

I know it is only a small success in the scheme of things but it has been a long time since I have had to do any work on a car so it is a huge moment of pride for me! Thumbs Up

Now come on, I did say dont laugh didn't I? Rolling with laughter

Post #689504 31st Mar 2024 2:47pm
Weegie

Scotland 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Good on you for doing it Thumbs Up

To get the screws out from the discs I have found an impact screwdriver to be very useful. Smile John
2008 Stornoway Grey 3.6 Tdv8 Vogue
2005 TD6 Java Black Vogue - Written off!!
GAP iiD BT
2003 Discovery TD5 Auto, Nanocom Evolution - gone to a new home!
MasseyFerguson 152 - No electronics!! - Sold

Post #689505 31st Mar 2024 2:55pm
fisha

2015 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aruba

Good effort. The satisfaction of job well done is worth it, esp compared to garage prices of labour if you’re that way inclined.

I’d argue that the disc screws are a nice to have, but not essential. They only seem to be there to stop the disc from coming away from the hub during assemblies when the wheel and caliper is off … it doesn’t serve any significant mechanical function beyond that in my books as the disc is actually held in place by the 5 big wheel bolts. ( I think actually the disc is held in place by the clamp force that the 5 bolts create on touching surfaces and not by rotationally pressing against the bolts, but hey )

Point is, I’ve sheared and drilled out loads of them, and not bothered holding work up to source replacements in the past. V8 or else ...

Post #689509 31st Mar 2024 3:16pm
ReggieMac

So thinking about what you said about the disc screws that makes perfect sense that it shouldn't be dependent on them to hold the disk, that would be a big ask! Pity I have allowed the other half to talk me into doing other things for the rest of this weekend now and I will have to revisit the rears maybe next weekend. Thumbs Up

What made up my mind to do this myself was the absolutely obscene amount that my local stealer wanted to charge after it's last service. I managed to buy everything to do front and rear, including all the tools I didn't have, for far less than they wanted to charge me to just replace the fronts! How do main stealers stay in business at those charges? Yawn

Post #689510 31st Mar 2024 3:22pm
Richie N

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Baltic Blue

Well done 👏🏻 it is rewarding and an excuse to buy tools and stuff! 😬

Post #689511 31st Mar 2024 3:37pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

………. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Last edited by Gremlin500 on 10th Apr 2024 2:32pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #689513 31st Mar 2024 3:40pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

………. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Last edited by Gremlin500 on 10th Apr 2024 2:31pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #689515 31st Mar 2024 3:49pm
ReggieMac

I have to say I did get an enormous feeling of satisfaction once I completed the front. I do feel a lot more confident in approaching the rears now. I agree that it was also fun buying lots of new toys, I mean tools, to play with although a few mistakes were made such as buying a Torque wrench that only started at 60nm but was then gifted a smaller one that started at 5nm - 80nm to go along side it which covered everything.

I agree with the logic regards 'she who must be obeyed', she has a wardrobe full of clothes that she just 'had to have' that I have never seen worn. So I now have my own special section of the shed where I have started building my own 'wardrobe' of toys that I just 'have to have'! Rolling with laughter

Post #689520 31st Mar 2024 4:07pm
caymanblack

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Carpathian Grey

ReggieMac wrote:
So thinking about what you said about the disc screws that makes perfect sense that it shouldn't be dependent on them to hold the disk, that would be a big ask! Pity I have allowed the other half to talk me into doing other things for the rest of this weekend now and I will have to revisit the rears maybe next weekend. Thumbs Up

What made up my mind to do this myself was the absolutely obscene amount that my local stealer wanted to charge after it's last service. I managed to buy everything to do front and rear, including all the tools I didn't have, for far less than they wanted to charge me to just replace the fronts! How do main stealers stay in business at those charges? Yawn

Great and this is a good reason to do yourself , new tools and job done properly! Thumbs Up overfinch modified

Post #689522 31st Mar 2024 4:16pm
ReggieMac

Yay me! Finally completed replacing discs and pads all round, the rear were definitely easier than the front although I had a little panic when I was using my iCarSoft to put the EPB into service mode and whilst it was doing it all sorts of lights lit up on the dash for ABS etc! Apparently this is normal though and all the DTC get deleted as part of the process.

Now I had intended to take pictures of doing the rears but as I started the job it started to rain and I had very little time to get them completed so apologies I did not do the pictures, maybe next time (next time? the few miles I do these discs and pads should out live me! Rolling with laughter )

Anyway thanks for everyone's help and encouragement, this forum is so helpful. Now there is a small issue of a tiny oil leak which I think could well be the oil cooler, not sure if I am confident enought yet to takle that myself Whistle Thumbs Up

Post #690094 6th Apr 2024 3:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1