Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > So... road tax... please can this be April fools
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
AJGalaxy2012

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

Yep, I agree with all of that BUT blaming potholes on EV's is ridiculous when you consider the number of HGV's and SUV's on the roads, thats my point Smile BMW i3 Electric Car
2012 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8 (now gone)
2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi V6

Post #689819 3rd Apr 2024 4:54pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

I was going to back out of this thread disgracefully even though I had also checked the average weight of an EV being greater than the average weight of a conventional car. Obviously my "beloved" Range Rover might well be heavier but as this is fullfatrr.com not electric skateboard pay no VED.com I suspect those who matter on here have Range Rovers. Anyway Range Rovers were around long before potholes but the rise in potholes just happens to coincide with the rise in EVs many of whom pay nothing towards the roads they use.

By the time that the government that encouraged me to buy a diesel has forced me to buy an EV and priced ICE based vehicles off the road I guess the free VED days will be gone forever as the aforementioned government has to get cash from somewhere. Geoff

Post #689820 3rd Apr 2024 4:55pm
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

………… “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Last edited by Gremlin500 on 18th Apr 2024 11:09pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #689823 3rd Apr 2024 5:24pm
AJGalaxy2012

supershuttle wrote:
Obviously my "beloved" Range Rover might well be heavier but as this is fullfatrr.com not electric skateboard pay no VED.com I suspect those who matter on here have Range Rovers.

Full of self impotence oops mis spelled - importance. Rolling with laughter

Quote:

Anyway Range Rovers were around long before potholes but the rise in potholes just happens to coincide with the rise in EVs many of whom pay nothing towards the roads they use.

It's also coincidental with the death of Queen Elizabeth, the loss of Boris as our leader and the Ukraine War, take yer pick!

Quote:

By the time that the government that encouraged me to buy a diesel has forced me to buy an EV and priced ICE based vehicles off the road I guess the free VED days will be gone forever as the aforementioned government has to get cash from somewhere.

Absolutely, get it while you can! BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #689825 3rd Apr 2024 5:41pm
Dutchgit

Germany 2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

If the government wants you to buy a different vehicle (diesel/petrol/green/lpg/pick another reason) then you can count on it you'll be taxed to smithereens for it a few years on.
Used EV car prices will drop like a stone when they approach of have run into their "end of battery" time limit.

Most likely no people will buy a 10 year old EV that needs a XX-thousand quid worth of a new battery. Lithium etc. will get more expensive as time rolls on and the supply runs low.

In Holland they used to promote running a car on LPG in around the 70's (as diesel car were about as "quick" off the mark as many tractors) and a few years on they more or less road-taxed it out of the market.

Charging a EV is now more expensive than filling your tank with petrol/diesel so I can't see them going for much longer either.

My employer was going to order a electric lorry because we do most of our work in a city with sort of ULEZ rules. We need a new lorry for the company now, and not in 2 years time. The cost of the electric one was about 3 times more (if I understood right) than a comparable diesel (Euro 6) one which he now ordered, will be built and delivered in June or July......

Post #689828 3rd Apr 2024 6:15pm
Crispian22

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

You think it's expensive here.

I'm moving to Jersey next month,spent the last 3 months getting my latest 4.2 sc all sorted and free of any issues,I was hoping it would be a reliable dog to beach car for the foreseeable future.

Until I looked at importing/registering it in Jersey(I have 12months to do this from arriving)

It goes off emissions, which,if I want to keep it,will cost just under £8000!!!

They don't have car tax as such there,they tax the fuel instead.

Don't have mot tests either.

Safe to say I'll be running it for 11 months then regrettably selling.

Post #689832 3rd Apr 2024 6:58pm
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

My work is done Laughing Geoff

Post #689843 3rd Apr 2024 8:22pm
AJGalaxy2012

Indeed it is, time to get back to todays job on old fatty? BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #689855 4th Apr 2024 3:42am
Fla

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

on my small road where I live the place with the most potholes is a farm where cattle cross. Between the weight of the cattle and manure it eats the road. Councils all over Ireland and England seem to be starved of funding but then build really stupid vanity projects. Ultimately I don't think it matters what vehicle one drives and no particular vehicle is causing more damage in my opinion, for me its down to poor road constructions and an attitude of, "it'll be grand"

Have you ever noticed that the road construction seems much better around or near a senior politicians home town? They don't just spray a layer or tar and chip and say that'll do they actually completely remove the road and re-layer it correctly meaning a HGV can turn on it and it doesn't tear itself to bits.

I currently do not live near a senior politician and on my road there are craters! Current yokes
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #689860 4th Apr 2024 7:50am
Ramblin Man

England 2012 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

According to The Guardian ( where NetZero is sacrosanct ) we’re all doing the right thing; keeping our well loved trucks running for as long as possible!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gr...nt-new-car

“ it generally makes sense to keep your old car for as long as it is reliable – and to look after it carefully to extend its life as long as possible. If you make a car last to 200,000 miles rather than 100,000, then the emissions for each mile the car does in its lifetime may drop by as much as 50%, as a result of getting more distance out of the initial manufacturing emissions.”

In my view we should be taxed accordingly - I’m retired so personally I’d vote for pay per mile….. but I wouldn’t have done when I was commuting. Although now that working from home is more technologically accessible I wonder if there would actually be much pushback on pay-per-mile road tax.

My contribution toward the “green economy” is to keep the TDV8 running for the next 30 years….. and then be buried in it ! TDV8 4.4 2012

Post #689864 4th Apr 2024 8:31am
Fla

Ireland 2012 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

I like how you think Ramblin Man!

They could introduce Pay per Mile and then have a tax rebate for work commute so a certain point but if you can take public transport there could be a higher rebate.

Not sure how your guys do it but our idiot government will for example ban something like using 4x4s in a city but then not have the public transport in place before the ban! They dont seem to understand that if you have a great bus/train/metro system and its cheap and reliable people will be happy to park and ride or use it altogether.

I hate driving into Dublin but I have no bother taking or tram system the luas as its nearly always on time and its easy to use like the London underground. Current yokes
2012 4.4 TDV8 Westminster
2006 Disco 3
Scoobie GT wagon
Mx5 G Ltd
TT S Line
Pajero JDM Exceed

Post #689865 4th Apr 2024 8:38am
Gremlin500

United Kingdom 2017 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Corris Grey

………. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” -where’s the fun in that?

Last edited by Gremlin500 on 18th Apr 2024 11:10pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #689872 4th Apr 2024 9:40am
AndyRoo

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Fuji White

My leaking oils, bits I've dropped, and parts falling off are actually contributing to the rejuvination of the road surface outside my house on an ongoing basis.

I do this for the good of the community and ask for nothing in return. Fuji White 2012 4.4 TDV8 Westmiinster

Post #689878 4th Apr 2024 10:14am
AJGalaxy2012

Youre a good man, I'm heading down your way soon in my mobility scooter (going to battery megastore), I look forward to driving on the roads that you have personally maintained. BMW i3 Electric Car

Post #689885 4th Apr 2024 11:54am
cass

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Causeway Grey

The cost of road tax is negligible when comparing running costs.
My (thankfully leased) company Corsa EV has depreciated at a rate of £34 per day over the 2 years that I had it. This makes my Range Rover road Tax look like a bargain at less than £2 per day.

Post #689901 4th Apr 2024 1:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>