Home > Technical (L322) > Two issues...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landrovered

United States 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green
Two issues...

Hello to all,

THis is my first post on this forum, I have been lurking for a while but have not had the need to ask any questions because my truck has been behaving very well thus far.

Two issues have arisen on my 03 HSE

One is minor, both of the side mirrors are a bit loose, I mean loose in the axis that they turn to fold in. The drivers side is worse than the the passenger and when I am on the highway, the wind from a truck or oncoming vehicle will move the mirror and it will flick back and forth about five degrees. Is this common, is there a way to tighten up the mount of the mirror on its pivot point/mount.

The second is a persistant coolant leak on the right side of the radiator, in front of the transmission cooler. I pulled the plastic skid plate and checked everything very well, it is not coming from the hoses or from the trans cooler but seems to be coming from the bottom seal of the rad where the aluminum and plastic come together. The rub is is only leaks when the vehicle is not running but after it is shut off and warm.

The amount of coolant loss varies but is seldom more than an ounce of fluid. The low coolant warning light comes on about every two to three weeks so it is not losing much but it is annoying and with warmer weather coming on, I want the cooling system up to snuff.

I am prepared to replace the radiator but before I spend that much I wanted to get some real world advice on a solution to the problem. FYI: I do all of my own work on all of my Land Rovers.

Also does anyone have a solution for touching up the silver grainy interior material where it is peeling up? Also a source for misc. interior panels would be appreciated.

Thank you. 93 NAS 110, 72 SIII 109, 93 RRC LWB, 03 RR HSE

Post #5133 23rd Apr 2009 2:08pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

Welcome to the forum.

Do you have the RAVE LR workshop manual? I'm guessing being such an enthusiast you probably do. Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #5140 23rd Apr 2009 6:41pm
Landrovered

United States 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

Yes I do.

I can handle to process of taking things apart and putting them back together again but there are always tricks and tips that can save a lot of headache.

Plus sourcing stuff for these trucks is limited outside of the stealership but I think it is getting better. I am always looking for new sources for parts. 93 NAS 110, 72 SIII 109, 93 RRC LWB, 03 RR HSE

Post #5143 23rd Apr 2009 9:03pm
Full fat not diet

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zermatt Silver

Welcome to the Forum Landrovered - look forward to your contributions feedback and pics of your car and work etc Thumbs Up

Post #5144 23rd Apr 2009 9:32pm
skydve1

United States 2003 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver
Re: Two issues...

Landrovered wrote:
Hello to all,
The second is a persistant coolant leak on the right side of the radiator, in front of the transmission cooler. I pulled the plastic skid plate and checked everything very well, it is not coming from the hoses or from the trans cooler but seems to be coming from the bottom seal of the rad where the aluminum and plastic come together. The rub is is only leaks when the vehicle is not running but after it is shut off and warm.

The amount of coolant loss varies but is seldom more than an ounce of fluid. The low coolant warning light comes on about every two to three weeks so it is not losing much but it is annoying and with warmer weather coming on, I want the cooling system up to snuff.

I know this is an old thread, but I've just run into this with my 2003HSE. I wanted to see what you finally replaced to get the leak to stop.

I was playing with this on the weekend. A friend who works at the local LR dealer told me to pressurize the system to 25psi as they do at the dealer, to make sure it shows every leak.

When the system is pressurized, the leak stops at the transmission cooler area. As soon as I bleed off the pressure, coolant comes running out. If I let it drip for a bit with the filler cap on, it creates suction in the system and you can hear a pop from the cap when you take it off.

Damndest thing I've seen in awhile!

Thanks in advance...

-Tommy

2003 HSE , 2001 DII , 1988 RRC, 1988 RRC, 1988 RRC Vogue

Post #92112 14th Nov 2011 3:19pm
Jonno

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

The mirror issue is easy, on the underside of the mirror housing remove the plastic plug, inside are three torx screws - tighten them up and replace the plug.

Jonno 5.0 supercharged autobiography
Gone-4.4 Vogue Lpg now unmapped
4.6 HSET Turbo Lpg mapped
Gone-Defender 90 200tdi
Gone - 3.9 Sprintex supercharged LPG
Gone - 3.9 Vogue LPG

Post #92117 14th Nov 2011 4:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1