Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Exploding Suspension whilst driving - REPAIR UPDATE PICTURES
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RANGEROVER

England 2003 Range Rover SE Td6 Zambezi Silver
Exploding Suspension whilst driving - REPAIR UPDATE PICTURES

Today something happened I hoped never would....
Driving home pulled up behind a car which had stopped and felt like I was leaning forward, thought this is strange.. perhap I was imagining this leaning. Pull away and thought no I think I am leaning, maybe it's a puncture, ride feels harsher than normal, was considering to find a safe place to stop....then all hell breaks loose!!!!

A bang louder than a shotgun, I instantly get a change in ride and pulled to one side... glance in my rear view mirror to see dust and bits flying through the air - behind that a car following me coming through the dust.

I pulled up safely within a few yards in a safe place and the car following pulls along side to check I'm ok and drives off - I was really glad I had not damaged his car Embarassed - then I was greeted by a person coming out of there property who had heard an explosion whilst sitting it there house!

On inspection my rear off side air bag had exploded.

I drove home with that corner on the stops, the others remained at normal height.

This was a bit of a scary thing to happen and I glad it was'nt at high speed and I did'nt cause an accident.

Now I'm home I'm trying to work out what has happened, I think there must have been a error in the ride settings causing it to over pressure one corner???

The bag I don't believe was perished and I always check were it rolls over when ever I carry out work to the car and clean the build up of mud off them once in a while but have never replaced any yet.

I admit I have a ride hieght sensor removed from the front because it snapped but this has happened before and I have driven months and thousands of miles with them removed before and had Air Susp Inactive displayed and never had a height difference occur before.

I will get a bag ordered next week and try to get the odd front sensor fixed and get the faults cleared is there anything else I should do or check?? Is it possible the sensor for that bag gave a false reading causing the problem??

Any tips for changing the rear bags I have changed P38 ones before but not any l322 ones yet!

Big Cry

Last edited by RANGEROVER on 28th May 2012 10:20pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #123680 25th May 2012 10:57pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Very simple job, remove the clip and twist it out. Then remove the airline and replace... Easier than the old P38...

Craig Thumbs Up

Post #123682 25th May 2012 11:31pm
Joe90

England 

You may need/want to do both rears so you won't be lopsided or have calibration issues. I would. .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #123688 26th May 2012 12:49am
RANGEROVER

I will hopefully get a bag next week, My plan is to put a bag on and try to clear the faults and see what happens??
I'm not sure if the sensor has gone wrong but I suppose the only way to find out is to clear faults and try again but I don't want to blow another bag.

Thanks for your advise Craig & Joe90

Post #123791 26th May 2012 10:51pm
RANGEROVER

Firstly many thanks to John (47p2) & Craig for advice received via PM's.

Click image to enlarge

I started to strip the range rover down prior to ordering parts to see the damage caused by the rear bag exploding
The first thing I noticed was the ride height sensor had broken and was detached from the suspension.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I tried to move the arm and it was really tight to move, this probably was the cause of the over inflation. The arm probably broke and the system was filling the bag and as it did not detect a change in height and overfilled it.
I removed the sensor.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I looked at the damaged bag, it had sheared the mount at the bottom from the suspension. I had to grip the broken piece to remove the bottom fixing screw. The top of the bag was held on by a clip, this was a pain to remove, it was caked in mud and took me ages to clean and manage to pull away. The bag still would not budge and I had to use a pry bar to force it away, this was mainly due to the rust between the bag and the mounting point.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #124069 28th May 2012 11:08pm
RANGEROVER

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I detached the airline and removed the bag.
I noticed the gaiter on the anti roll bar looked pulled away and on giving it a pull I realised it had actually detached, the link had pulled off the ball. This link didn’t want to come off but after giving it some stick with the air gun I finally had it off.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This damage to the anti roll bar may have been due to driving the Range Rover home with it on the stops and the roads are quite rough where I live so I should have kept the speed down.
Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

So the parts I’m waiting for is front height sensors, a rear sensor, rear air bag and a rear anti roll bar. I have just ordered them so hopefully I won’t have to wait too long to get it back on the road again.
Whilst waiting I will probably get some waxoyl on the rusty bits....

Post #124070 28th May 2012 11:11pm
47p2

Scotland 

The point where the sensor is broken is a common fault caused by two different types of metal corroding and the joint becomes seized

The part numbers I passed you this morning were for front sensors, the rear part number is LRQH100030 for both sides and were £30.07 each last year

Post #124074 28th May 2012 11:35pm
Meerbusch

United Kingdom 

Hallo Fans, yesterday I had the same problem like RANGEROVER, at my 2002er it was in the front left, with a good and loud PIFFFF says directly at my home the spring to me: GOODBY..........., just orderd at island4x4 a pair of new for both sides..., will inform you! And also I will order the airbags for the rear side!!

Post #124079 29th May 2012 6:47am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

thanks for the pics RANGE ROVER... Thumbs Up ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #124084 29th May 2012 8:21am
Joe90

England 

Great pictures - what a mess! Really helpful As I see this coming my way soon Wink

Lovely grass though Smile .
Experience is the only genuine knowledge, but as time passes, I have forgotten more than I can remember Wink
Volvo V70 P2 2006 2.4 Petrol 170bhp Estate SE
MG Midget Mk1 1962

Previous: L322 Range Rover TDV8 3.6 2008; L322 Range Rover TD6 3.0 2002; P38A Range Rover V8 1999

Post #124086 29th May 2012 8:25am
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

I suggest all pre 2005 owners go and have a check..... Shocked

Post #124093 29th May 2012 9:00am
le25dse

Norway 2014 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Loire Blue

I just replaced all four on my car. The rear ones have to be completely deflated to get them out. I ended up drilling a hole in mine to get all the air out, then they came off easily. It's important to have a pair of pliers with a long tip to get the clip on top off. ----------
2014 tdv6 (ex. 2004 td6, 1997 2.5 dse)

Post #124204 29th May 2012 6:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1