Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > no heater blower
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Print this entire topic · 
trainmanone

England 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Oslo Blue

hi mate the blower motor is the same as bmw one look on flea bay for the bmw one should be about thirty pound have hawkeye diagnostics for l322 td6 in the manchester area ,pm for deatalis.

Post #317258 10th Mar 2015 11:19am
Zambezi

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Zambezi Silver

Thanks. The motor that I've just remove with the damaged fans is a BMW unit. I was concerned that the BMW fans might be bigger than the RR ones hence why the replacement was damaged......
Part number of the BMW unit is 64.11-8 385 558.9 Seems to be a Valeo 0765 0172 12
David

Post #317275 10th Mar 2015 12:11pm
trainmanone

you will find a lot of parts are bmw as they built it like I said look on flea bay for the motor and when replacing make sure the hole is as big as you can get it ,you can cut away the grey foam like thing to give you more room.
p.s the part num might be slightly different so long as it looks the same with the same amount of mounting holes you will be ok have hawkeye diagnostics for l322 td6 in the manchester area ,pm for deatalis.

Post #317277 10th Mar 2015 12:16pm
Zambezi

Thanks. Found one and bought it for £33....a lot cheaper than a RR one on Ebay which all seem to be much more expensive than BMW equivalent. Mad !!
Any idea what the squashy grey bit is for......I was concerned it was the air duct to the windscreen demisters ?
David

Post #317280 10th Mar 2015 12:25pm
trainmanone

good stuff the grey bit is I think just a rubberised sealant, I cut mine away and didn't have any problems with it after .

I enjoyed having a range rover ,but now having fun in a discovery 3

pete have hawkeye diagnostics for l322 td6 in the manchester area ,pm for deatalis.

Post #317292 10th Mar 2015 1:10pm
Zambezi

Hi. I have cut away some of the spongy grey stuff and some of the rigid plastic that faces the grey stuff that can make getting the motor in and out difficult. I used a rotary mini tool, like a dremel, and would recommend these as they cut through the plastic very easily and neatly. You may well need several spare cutting bits as I broke 3 of mine cutting the rigid plastic deep in the hole as all the force was on the far end of the bit. You do need to make sure the cutting bit doesn't go too deep, measure the thickness of the plastic and put a dab of white paint on the cutting bit so you know when you've reached that depth.
As it cut through it melted the plastic so the swarf created was minimal. The old motor now slots straight in and out so all I need now is the new motor, which should be here tomorrow
Damaged fans causing vibration, shame as the fan was only recently replaced by the PO but must have been damaged during installation

Hole enlarged to allow easy replacement, and the black plastic ducts moved out of the way (rearwards). The left one seemed to move further out of the way than the right one.

Tool used to cut plastic showing the type of cutting bit (not actually fitted into tool)

Last edited by Zambezi on 15th Mar 2015 9:25pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #317454 11th Mar 2015 10:05am
Zambezi

The "new" used fan arrived today and now fitted.
Nice and quiet throughout the different speeds. A shame that the one that the PO had fitted (but had damaged blades) was a brand new unit. The one I've fitted looks quite "well used" with carbon deposits all over it....
Does anyone know how to swap the fans from the motor Question
David

Post #317741 12th Mar 2015 7:32pm
mrd1990

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover HSE Td6 Oslo Blue

Great result! I found mine made a noise at full speed but I fixed it by bending the blades back to shape in situ and it was fine... but that was luck..

I don't think the blades can be put on the new motor, they're pretty much stuck on from what I remember.

I'll update the guide about cutting the foam bit - Thanks trainmanone and Zambezi Thumbs Up

Post #317996 14th Mar 2015 11:26am
winslo

2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

Im attempting this now, im at the blower motor but cant see clips at the bottom to get the cover off? Just one at the top[/img]

Post #342667 15th Aug 2015 3:34pm
Zambezi

You might need to enlarge the hole to see the other fixings.... 2002 4.4 V8 with LPG
Zambezi silver

Post #342911 17th Aug 2015 10:24am
winslo

2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Adriatic Blue

Hi

I got the cover off, clips were on the side at top and a couple of tugs and its off

My new problem is I cant get the Censored out the hole
Do I need to cut the below plastics off?

Thanks

Post #342913 17th Aug 2015 10:30am
Zambezi

You need to remove the central dash airvent and then the two black plastic curved rectangular section "pipes" that feed that central airvent can be moved out of the way slightly which helps. I kept cutting away the plastic (being very careful about wires and checking there wasn't anything else that would get damaged) until the hole was big enough to lift the motor straight out. Look at the photos earlier in the post to see how big I made it. Cutting the spongy grey bit also helped.
Yes I cut away some of the bit you have highlighted, this was when I snapped two or three of the cutting bits.
The PO of mine has knackered a brand new motor fitting it back in because the hole they had made was too small.
Best of luck 2002 4.4 V8 with LPG
Zambezi silver

Post #342916 17th Aug 2015 10:41am
phillh

United Kingdom 2002 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

My son has got an L322, he had a failing blower motor, he has now replaced it thanks to this very helpful guide.

Took aprox 4 hours and a few grazed digits but well worth the saving on LR prices.

Thanks again. Thumbs Up

Post #348553 19th Sep 2015 7:16pm
MachineHead

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Mariana Black

Oh Censored 's Shocked

Just removed top dash, and all gubbins including sat nav unit ..... the 2009 is very different I am not presented with a hole but this instead! Any suggestions? Anyone changed the fan on a 2009 L322??

**update**

ok the fan is out ...getting the cover back on when I replace it will be hilarious!!!

For those with after 2009 if this happens it is still fixable but let me be clear, not for the faint of heart! Shocked

No cutting required at all the hole once you strip the car is big enough, but you do need to remove both glove boxes, the top of the fan blower filter in front of the fan, you have to remove four torx screws from behind the air vents with almost no space for manoeuvre. I used pliers to gently tur the screw ends until they were loose and then used a torx socket without driver to unwind the rest of the way. You can put them back in from the front so replacing is going to be easy there as they do not foul any wiring or such like behind them (clearly put on from the back as the dash was installed with them fitted).

Right now my dash is stripped bar the steering wheel side and instrument cluster Shocked and the fan was a tigh fit to remove due to a wiring loom housing ...as for the cover Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored Censored that about covers how much fun it was to get off and how muche even less fun it will be to get back on!!!!

I will try take pics and try explain the process for newer cars as I put it back together tomorrow 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #360861 7th Dec 2015 1:12pm
MachineHead

Scotland 2009 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Mariana Black

All done and dash refitted working like a dream ... have photos so at some point will make up and guide for the 2009 onward full fats ...not sure when the layout changed might even be a fair bit earlier.

Most of the dash stripping is the same bar 2 large bolts on the bottom of the passenger airbag mount, you just need to add in both glove boxes the top and front middle air vents and the top part of the chamber where the air comes through for them.

It's a lot to strip and you will cut your hands to death but even though it seems like the fan cover and then the fan will not come out and go back in .. it will with patience and even better you cut nothing Thumbs Up 09 TDV8 Westminster, Mariana Black, Rear seat entertainment, hatch bag and 2 slobbery mutts

Post #361163 8th Dec 2015 8:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>