Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > LPG > Which LPG System for a Supercharged?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
marcoos_1

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Java Black

Hi Stan.....I know.....I've been deliberating over whether or not it's worth it. I know on my P38 that I sold recently it was a real saving, but this one is a bit more expensive so the return will no doubt be longer. I got the TD6 sold tonight, so the Supercharged is here to stay for a few years for sure.

The company that I've found so far for the conversion was Clyde Motor Engineers in Hillington. I've also been advised of a compny in Kilmarnock called McDowell. They suggested a system called GFI Pro? Has anyone heard of this? I'm going to do some googling....

Post #173840 22nd Feb 2013 12:05am
supershuttle

England 2013 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Luxor

Stan got me thinking - thats a bad thing Sad

Assume VAT inclusive price £2,760
Assume 70p/litre saving
Assume 5lt to the gallon
Assume 15mpg

then

2760 divide by .7 - divide by 5 - times by 15 - gives about 12,000 miles
So that would be two years for me but probably only one or less for others.

This info is provided without any warranty or guarantee as to its accuracy as a public service, because I have nothing better to do particularly as I have a diesel Very Happy Geoff

Post #173846 22nd Feb 2013 8:01am
marcoos_1

I know...he got me thinking again too.....it is a close call for sure....and very much dependent on your mileage and duration of ownership.

I do think you need to factor in the residual value - I reckon the LPG kit becomes more attractive to buyers as they get older and lower in value. It might not be much - but if I was buying another one now I'd pay a bit more for a properely fitted LPG kit. It could also be removed and fitted to another vehicle.

I have to be honest..... I really miss the feeling of getting a 'deal' at the forecourt and spending half what everyone else is.....must be the Scotsman in me!

Anyway.....its 10.00 am and I'm sitting in my kitchen right now having a brew (the benefits of working from home!) and I'm watching Sky news....guess what.....

"Fuel prices set to Rocket to their highest ever".............

It's only ever going to go one way....and that's up!

Post #173870 22nd Feb 2013 11:24am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

Ignore the milage, its the actual use, if your doing short trips which have a lower mpg anyway then the clawback is even quicker...

I spent £1900 on mine the coop and made the break even within 9months but was doing circa 25k PA then and fuel was costing me about 35p/l... I never saw more than 25mpg on petrol or LPG and it wasn't any worse on LPG but at the 9month period i had paid for the LPG install and started saving big time Very Happy

I found that once i had the engine started i could force the system onto LPG in very cold weather and anything about -1'c i force started on LPG anyway to increase the savings as the water was already flowing over the vapouriser and being warmed by a 5cylinder petrol engine and turbo it was fine.

The SC being a big JLR V8 should generate more than enough heat to keep 2 vaporisers from icing up from cold start. If it has an FBH even better Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #173871 22nd Feb 2013 11:39am
kingpleb

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Bonatti Grey

just for you Marcoos Smile

Click image to enlarge

http://www.autogasyorkshire.co.uk/savings-calculator/

Have a play Smile FFRR MY06 facelift With TDV8 Alloys Zeros/ATR's
Mantec Sump Guard, Rigid Load liner, MY10 BT upgrade.

Post #173873 22nd Feb 2013 11:49am
Polux

2005 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

u all over thinking this

Prins VSI (best on market) - £2200 inc vat

Autotech derby - <-- LPGA registered

Autotech derby - <-- Does 2/3 SC a week

Autotech derby - <--- setups and maintains the Bowler Wildcat engines

Nuff Said
Job Done
What are you waiting for.

Post #173893 22nd Feb 2013 1:14pm
steptoe

England 

marcoos_1 wrote:
I know...he got me thinking again too.....it is a close call for sure....and very much dependent on your mileage and duration of ownership.

I do think you need to factor in the residual value - I reckon the LPG kit becomes more attractive to buyers as they get older and lower in value. It might not be much - but if I was buying another one now I'd pay a bit more for a properely fitted LPG kit. It could also be removed and fitted to another vehicle.

I have to be honest..... I really miss the feeling of getting a 'deal' at the forecourt and spending half what everyone else is.....must be the Scotsman in me!

Anyway.....its 10.00 am and I'm sitting in my kitchen right now having a brew (the benefits of working from home!) and I'm watching Sky news....guess what.....

"Fuel prices set to Rocket to their highest ever".............

It's only ever going to go one way....and that's up!

And don't forget the potential of fuel shortages, as happened a short while ago - when the forecourts have run out of petrol/diesel you're laughing as you fill up with LPG. Rolling with laughter

Post #173941 22nd Feb 2013 7:17pm
marcoos_1

Thanks guys. I'm convinced its worthwhile. I've changed around a few cars in the last couple of months and this ones a keeper.

I'll check out Auto tech Derby. My only reservation there is getting it back to them if something goes wrong.

Mark.

Post #174906 27th Feb 2013 11:01pm
Polux

2005 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 V8 Monte Carlo Blue

did mine in 2008 never been wrong go every 18months for a £90 service

Post #175288 1st Mar 2013 8:33pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Marc change you car avatar.... Whistle

Post #175291 1st Mar 2013 8:45pm
marcoos_1

Ooooops.........all done, cheers Gaz....

Post #175489 3rd Mar 2013 12:10am
dhallworth

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Baltic Blue

Marcoos,

Only just seen this so hope you've not already had it done!

What ever you do, do not use Clyde Motor Engineers in Hillington.

They totally wrecked my Discovery 2 when it was in for an LPG conversion. They routed pipes badly, ground away my inlet manifold to make pipes fit instead of doing it properly etc. Guy told me he'd done loads of them before but mine was not right.

I took it back as it had no power on LPG so he ground more of the inlet manifold and rocker covers off to stop the pipes being squashed. Even after the conversion it still had a misfire on LPG at full power. They weren't even changing my inlet manifold gasket when they were taking it on and off so I ended up with air leaks etc etc. too.

In the end I sold the car and the guy who bought it took it to another LPG fitter down south, who commented that it was the worst LPG installation he'd ever seen.

I also spoke to another company in Glasgow who told me that Clyde Motor Engineers had a car converted by them and then proceeded to take the car apart when they got it back to find out how it had been converted. Apparently they broke it in the process of doing so and took it back to the company they'd had convert it and expected them to repair it under warranty.

Clyde Motor Engineers are a company that I wouldn't even trust to do an oil and filter change for me again, certainly not converting a car as nice as a Supercharged L322. I've also spoken to several people locally who have had cars converted by them and nobody has a good word to say about them. I also know of a P38 on LPG that they've ruined as well.

The owner, Jim, speaks a good game on the phone but I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him personally.

David. 2002 4.6 Vogue SE - Alveston Red with Lightstone Leather
2007 Range Rover Supercharged in Java Black with Ivory Leather
2012 Range Rover 5.0 SC Autobiography in Indus Silver with Jet/Ivory Interior
2012 Range Rover 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography in Baltic Blue with Sand Interior

Post #180156 28th Mar 2013 10:04pm
Tallsaj

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zambezi Silver
Brc lpg on a sc prob

Hi I have recently had my sc converted To LPG Brc system it has 2 vaporizers but for some reason when i put my foot down hard it seems a bit hesitant as if something is holding it back. The place where I had the LPG fitted also can't figure it out prob it's the 1st one he has done and we have tried various software changes but with no success. Please would appreciate if some 1 could help me out on this one ;(

Post #205539 24th Aug 2013 10:28pm
marcoos_1

David,

That is good info to know. I haven't had my car done yet, because so far the suspension has gone down, the entertainment system has frozen and now I walk past it every day to get into my trusty old Landcruiser that has never let me down in 10yrs of ownership!

It would have been Clyde that I was going to use if going for someone up here......I'm glad I read this.

Down south it is then........

Post #210766 17th Sep 2013 8:18pm
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

£2.5k buys a lot of petrol ? Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #210768 17th Sep 2013 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>