Home > Off Topic - Other Cars > Austin Allegro - 40 Years Old
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Austin Allegro - 40 Years Old

So the Allegro is now 40 years old.

It's a car I have a relationship with as I actually used to own one - a gift from my grandmother when she quit driving. I don't miss it, but in many respects it is such a 'nearly' car.

Compared to a Golf from the same period - a very successful car, it was more spacious, more comfortable and had a much better ride.

So what was wrong with it?

Let's deal with the factual things first.

Austin thought only a saloon would be acceptable to a large part of their market, so they designed it to look like a hatchback but not have a hatchback. Like the Mini. One of those sub-optimal catch-22 decisions that alienates both the markets you're trying to reach. This owner was so frustrated he reversed into a wall. Or another Allegro.

Click image to enlarge

The earlier ones had a square steering wheel. I don't need to explain why this is bad but you do wonder why the designers didn't follow this logic to conclusion and give it square road wheels too.

The rear seat didn't have rounded corners so getting in and out of the back was not the most elegant exercise.

It was made by British Leyland, so broke down, fell apart and corroded. Red Robbo quality control.

Visually, it didn't work at all. It looked like a bad design that had then been melted a little. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but there are limits.

Austin consistently made lame, sitcom cars. Actually, sitcom's really highlight where it all went wrong. Austin never capitalised on the coolness of the Mini, or its rally successes. They were content to wallow in mustard coloured, chrome radiator-ed, vinyl roofed, cheap velour-ed, retired bank manager territory.

Sexy advertising couldn't conceal a very undesireable product.

It was an Austin/Morris thing, not a BL thing. Triumph and Rover cars were mostly cool, and maybe XJS aside, Jaguar also. You do wonder why the Austin/Morris people succeeded in bringing down the company rather than the Triumph/Rover/Jaguar people rescuing it, but the Allegro was succeeded by the Maestro, and the last car they designed was the Rover 75, which was still very much in retired bank manager territory, although I quite like it.

I sold mine to a retired couple. The woman test drove it but didn't want to try 5th gear as she'd never used one before and found the concept scary. That's the kind of market you shouldn't cater for, and sums it up really.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Post #191015 28th May 2013 8:26pm
KurtVerbose

Here's a video on quality control at BL. Notice David Suchet working as a designer before he became Poirot. Loads of other familiar faces also.

Check out Wendy the typist. Definitely do 'er romantic style, even though she typed up the spec wrong.

Post #191016 28th May 2013 8:29pm
Contraband

Scotland 

When my wife started driving, her first car was an allegro. I suppose her dad thought he was being nice getting it for her.
It was an awful car. Clutch, brake, electrical, engine faults, it had them all over time.
I remember driving down a hill in it, pressed the brakes and bang.... BOTH front disks sheared at the hubs! Perfect cracks all the way round. That was scary. Handbrake to stop.
We went to Edinburgh for the day and the clutch packed in. Changed gear all the way home with no clutch. Had to stop at the forth road bridge to pay the toll. Started it in gear to get moving again.
Condenser failed on a camping holiday to north England, on a Sunday as well. We had to wait till a local garage opened on the Monday to get the bits.
It eventually seized and we were happy to see the back of it.
We had good times as students in it, being able to go places, but no happy memories of the car itself.
Rust in peace. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #191026 28th May 2013 8:49pm
kiter

Scotland 

Brings back some memories.......... my grandfather had a succession of these, he had a real working man's pub in Bathgate, West Lothian where one of the BL factories was -he always maintained him buying them helped put money in the BL workers pay packet, which in turn ended up in his till...... Used to give my dad a real hard time for buying that german rubbish ie Mk1 Golf. After the last Allegro died (didnt take long!)it was an Ambassador and then two Montego's. Happy days..........!

Post #191027 28th May 2013 8:50pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

^^^^^ and i'll bet the mk1 golf outlasted them all, and is now an appreciating classic.......

I distinctly remember the old man having one of these as a courtesy car when he totalled my mums fiat 126 into the back of an artic. At the time i thought it was pretty cool..... There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #191040 28th May 2013 9:05pm
kiter

Scotland 

Jees Fiat 126.......... had forgotten them, when I lived on Islay our Gaelic Teacher had a red one of these, she stayed up the road from my folks and was quite fond of her drams - put if off the road into a ditch one night and it literally couldnt be seen as you drove past - took a few days to be extracted and probably sustained more damage being taken out than it did when it went in. Need to stop this now, that was over 35 years ago...........

Post #191058 28th May 2013 9:28pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

For some reason he decided that it was wise to buy both a fiat 126 and 127 at the same time.

Needless to say they were utter rubbish. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #191061 28th May 2013 9:32pm
tomthevet

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Tonga Green

Weirdly just saw an immaculate looking white estate a mile away. Looked really nice given the time thats passed.

Actually I think a very under rated car that did exactly what it was designed to do.

And as for the square steering wheel it was a good idea I think if you give it some thought...

T

Post #191079 28th May 2013 10:08pm
A1GSS

England 
Re: Austin Allegro - 40 Years Old

KurtVerbose wrote:
The earlier ones had a square steering wheel...

Ahem.
Austin's Marketing Department wrote:
The earlier ones had a Quartic steering wheel...

if you don't mind. Graham

____
Gone: 10MY L320 RR Sport HSE, Ipanema Sand
Gone: 20MY Jaguar iPace HSE, Silicon Silver
Gone: 17MY RR Evoque SE Tech, Loire Blue
Gone: 08MY Discovery 3 XS, Stornoway Grey
Gone: 07MY FFRR TDV8 Vogue, Stornoway Grey

Post #191101 28th May 2013 10:55pm
KurtVerbose

tomthevet wrote:
And as for the square steering wheel it was a good idea I think if you give it some thought...

I will confess I've never driven one. Mine had the round steering wheel.

I can only think that as you loosely grip the wheel as it self centres when you come out of a corner you'll get the the corners of the square (I know they were rounded) going through your hand. Wikipedia says it 'allowed extra room between the driver's legs and the base of the steering wheel'. Well, not if you're going round a corner.

Why was it a good idea, and if it was such a good idea why did they abandon it, and why aren't all cars equipped with square steering wheels?

Sorry 'quartec' steering wheels.

Post #191131 29th May 2013 10:01am
Andy3681

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Cairns Blue

I learnt to drive in one and a maxi
At a junction you could slip the clutch with the handbrake on and get it rocking like a boat on the chewing gum suspension.
I always thought the little estate didnt look to bad
but they were s***
Had a fiat 127 sport to
My life has been a collection of Censored cars and now i bought a FF?????
Thumbs Up Mine was a blue one! Smile

Last edited by Andy3681 on 29th May 2013 10:27am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #191133 29th May 2013 10:06am
axle

Australia 2008 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Rimini Red

2008 MY Supercharged
Rimini Red / Jet
four zone climate
remote park heater
and no ugly kid windows.
magnus satis quod turpis satis

Post #191135 29th May 2013 10:15am
tomthevet

Scotland 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Tonga Green

Well the original theory was that if you were going along a straight road with your hands at say 3 and 9 then small movements of your hands wouldnt have a huge effect on the wheel because your hands are closer to the centre point hence smoothing out the drive.
Whereas come to a tight corner and the tendency is to move your hands slightly to the corners where the distance from the centre is greater giving a great mechanical advantage when you turn the wheel.
That and the flat bottom for leg room a la fast audi these days.

T

Post #191137 29th May 2013 10:35am
Bellini

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Zermatt Silver

Apparently, the quartic 'wheel came about just before launch when the BL MD's wife sat in an Allegro and complained there wasn't enough room between her legs and the 'wheel. So they flattened it and that was that.

Many BL managers used to specify the Belgian-built cars as they were far better built as their manufacturing plant achieved much tighter tolerances on the components. As a consequence, they didn't break down nearly as much.

Harris Mann got a lot of stick for the Allegro's design but his proposal was a wedge-shape. When BL said they'd be fitting the tall A and B-series engines, the scuttle height moved upwards and ruined the looks. Harris had no say in the committee outcome but still got slated. Si. <This is my name.

I eat rat poison.

A man ain't truly been insulted until he stands buck naked in front of a woman and she didn't even notice. Or care.

Post #191150 29th May 2013 12:28pm
campaj1

United Kingdom 

KurtVerbose wrote:
Here's a video on quality control at BL. Notice David Suchet working as a designer before he became Poirot. Loads of other familiar faces also.

Check out Wendy the typist. Definitely do 'er romantic style, even though she typed up the spec wrong.

one big excuse of a video! think of the work Mercedes were doing at the same time with the W123!

A time best forgotten. They screwed up big time. They should have capitalised on the Mini brand, bringing out a raft of similar cars in different sizes. They should have developed the Mini itself more too: a new model was needed by at least 1970, and I discount the hopeless metro, which basically eradicated all of the good points about the mini (nippy handling, compact size, cool image) and retained all of the bad points (asthmatic A series, Rust problems, sloppy hydraulic suspension, sparse interior) creating a truly terrible car.

The Allegro was unfortunate; clearly too much time was spent looking at the Alfasud when a far simpler, more elegant design could have been developed with a proper hatchback and rubber cone suspension saving cost and reducing mechanical complications. Having said all this, they trusted Issigonis for too long, the Landcrab and Maxi were an extension too far of his designs and as a result they failed to sell. N

eed I mention the Marina, which was just a lazy effort; they should have just killed off the Morris brand there and then, rather than tarting up the ancient Minor. And then we come to MG, which should have died by the early 70s, the cars were just an embarrassment by then.

The TR7 should not have been built in Liverpool, and god knows it shouldn't have looked the way it did. All they had to do was build a modern sports car that the Americans would take to. In fact A TR6 with a Rover V8 and updated styling could have worked; the chassis was dated but worked fine. Then we look at Rover; the SD1 was a brave effort, but quality was simply not good enough, so they should have handed the mantle over to Jaguar to develop the XJ, and spent more on development of the Range Rover and the Rover V8 for other cars (Stag).

Oh yes and the Princess; they needn't have bothered. More factories should have been closed to ensure survival, and defunct brands flogged off (Wolseley, Riley etc)

so there. Laughing

Post #191154 29th May 2013 12:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>