Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Thoughts on real life gap between petrol and diesel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
SGW

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Stornoway Grey

I would go for LPG every time having run on it for 10 years (2 P38s and now 2 L322s). If installed correctly perfectly safe and just about half the cost of petrol. Several for sale on ebay at the moment.

Stewart.

Post #16514 12th Apr 2010 10:10pm
elpeede

England 2003 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Zambezi Silver

I've had an LPG V8 Disco and currently a 3.0l TD6 FFRR.

Diesel wins. Far less farting about locating a supplier when you go off piste.

You live in London... you may as well run a Series 1 Landrover with V8 as an FFRR as you will never get above 20mph in either Rolling with laughter

Seriously, its a choice you need to make for your self, go drive both. Everyones opinion is valid to them and their circumstances.

To some in FFRR circles money is not an issue but if it is then calculate the costs of both over a realistic term of ownership of the intended vehicle.

On the bright side ... when the wells run dry home brew derv will be easier to produce than quality fuel for the V8. But then it is next to coal on the Fuel chain Very Happy

Post #16517 12th Apr 2010 10:44pm
VMPP

Portugal 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

If you compare the 400SC with the tdv8, then you're better off with the tdv8.
Except on the 0-60 dash, the tdv8 goes as much as the SC.

And the fuel bills reflect that.
Ok, you can argue that if you buy a 100k car, the fuel is not important, but nevertheless it feels a bit dumb always paying extra for something that doesn't give that much more go.

Post #16521 13th Apr 2010 9:37am
Fox

United Kingdom 

Agree 100%, but the main point of the thread was between the Td6 and a Petrol of the same vintage.

Some of us can't afford a TDV8. Smile

Post #16523 13th Apr 2010 11:56am
VMPP

Portugal 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Fox wrote:
Agree 100%, but the main point of the thread was between the Td6 and a Petrol of the same vintage.

Some of us can't afford a TDV8. Smile

OOOOPPSSS....

Sorry, I've read so many posts with these same issues that I always copy/paste the same answers.

Then, assuming you're brit, I think the V8 would be something to consider as you guys don't have so much of a gap between the diesel and petrol. Here, petrol is around 40% more expensive, which pretty much invalidates the petrol models.

And for that vintage, the V8 at least goes like a car, without needing to be chiped.

Post #16525 13th Apr 2010 4:20pm
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

I feel your pain! I'm currently trying to make the same decision and had this very conversation last week Big Cry

I'm torn between all four available. I can just about afford a TDV8 and that is the current favourite being a healthy balance of power and economy.

The TDV6 isn't really in the race if i'm honest. I've owned one before and found it short of power for those times when I want to drive "like a cock".

I've also owned two 4.4's. They are a dream to drive and I found they could do between 15 and 23mpg. The 23mpg is achievable if you drive like miss daisy. Which defeats the object a bit Rolling Eyes

I had 1 converted to LPG which ran exactly the same as petrol but at half the price. Great if you can find one already converted and you have an accessible station

The supercharged is for people who don't pay for their own fuel. I don't agree with the well worn comment "if you can't afford one don't buy one". It's not about affording it, it's about getting rid of it after 2 minutes because you can't justify owning it.

I might buy a petrol station just so I can have a SC!! Laughing

Good luck

Post #16533 13th Apr 2010 6:40pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

I switched FROM TD6 to 400SC 07......100% GLAD I DID....TOTALLY BETTER CAR!!!! Thumbs Up If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #16534 13th Apr 2010 7:05pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Fuel figures aside, what about the other stuff like torque? I've always been told that diesel has more low down 'grunt' than it's petrol equivalent. 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #16537 13th Apr 2010 8:54pm
Jem0911

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

Another LPG voter here.

There are plenty of fill up points even at 68ppl it makes sense.

If you are lucky you pay 53ppl from an independant.

Good luck with what ever you choose. 15MY SDV8 Vogue SE

Post #16539 13th Apr 2010 8:58pm
JOKER

Scotland 

hoppy_70

"The supercharged is for people who don't pay for their own fuel"

Sorry to disagree i pay for my own fuel and i don't require a vat receipt .......... Whistle ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #16540 13th Apr 2010 9:04pm
RRV

MICK wrote:
hoppy_70

"The supercharged is for people who don't pay for their own fuel"

Sorry to disagree i pay for my own fuel and i don't require a vat receipt .......... Whistle

What a load of bo lax!!..........I pay for my own fuel too.SC is way nicer to drive in every respect but to really test it drive both and see. Thumbs Up If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #16544 13th Apr 2010 9:59pm
RRV

I don't agree with the well worn comment "if you can't afford one don't buy one". It's not about affording it, it's about getting rid of it after 2 minutes because you can't justify owning it.

I might buy a petrol station just so I can have a SC!! Laughing

Good luck[/quote]

Why would you feel the need to "justify" your purchase if you could afford a petrol station!!? Laughing

Joking aside,I AM one of the "if you cant afford the fuel dont buy a FF" brigade and I have owned FFRRs for ten years or so.My take on it is this....for sheer pure driving pleasure it has to be petrol everytime IMO.....remind me,how many Ferraris/Bentleys/Rolls/Lambos ofer a TD version??

Go for the jugular and get the DADDY!! Thumbs Up If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #16545 13th Apr 2010 10:05pm
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

rrv, so what made you buy the TD6 1st then?? Rolling Eyes

I CAN afford the petrol for a S/C, but don't know how long I would be happy with twice weekly fill ups......... (bearing in mind that would amount to about a grand a month!!)

No, I can't really afford a petrol station Laughing

Post #16546 13th Apr 2010 10:53pm
Vogue

United Kingdom 

well we've got 7 RR's in Petrol and Diesel, and I'm afraid its Diesel all the way for me 1st choice.

LPG is for pikey's Very Happy

joke, Rolling with laughter I'll get my coat Arrow

PLUS on a serious note you also need to factor in depreciation to the figures, its not just about MPG and the Diesel wins hands down at retention of value. Once a petrol RR hits 4/5 yrs old they are difficult to sell unless they are LPG or you do very low miles - its a fact that new or nearly new buyers can afford the fuel but by the time they are a few years old, depreciation takes its toll and they become attractive to the lower budget buyers whose running costs play a larger factor than the initial purchaser.

Plus hammer the balls off a diesel get 22 mpg, hammer the balls off a petrol get 10 mpg - real world and 10 mpg hurts - especially when you are looking at 550 miles to a tank compared to 200 odd Neutral

If you can stretch the budget go TDV8, if not go TD6 and chip it - you won't be disappointed. Adam RRUK has done write ups on both LPG and chipping - worth a search.

Post #16547 13th Apr 2010 10:55pm
Shaun the Sheep

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

All this is making me very sad, my dole only goes so far Laughing

and before anyone asks, NO, it's not going in the "for sale" section, Thank god for the pension Sheep

Post #16550 14th Apr 2010 2:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>