Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Thoughts on real life gap between petrol and diesel?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Quote:
All this is making me very sad, my dole only goes so far
Rolling with laughter

change in government might put that right - perhaps ?? Cool

Post #16559 14th Apr 2010 9:36am
Stebo

2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Giverny Green

[quote="Vogue"]
PLUS on a serious note you also need to factor in depreciation to the figures, its not just about MPG and the Diesel wins hands down at retention of value. Once a petrol RR hits 4/5 yrs old they are difficult to sell unless they are LPG or you do very low miles - its a fact that new or nearly new buyers can afford the fuel but by the time they are a few years old, depreciation takes its toll and they become attractive to the lower budget buyers whose running costs play a larger factor than the initial purchaser.
[quote]

Have to agree with this, no dealers want my 4.4 Range Rover as a trade in as they reckon they wouldn't be able to sell it on.

Post #16560 14th Apr 2010 9:39am
topgeartowers

Thanks lads, I realise it might be going over old ground, but I appreciate the opinions. Depreciation and running costs are a factor, as they are for anyone who's savvy enough to make some serious money. I've a work friend who's just chopped in his Zonda for a F40 because he's worried about depreciation - it doesnt have to be logical to everyone, just needs to make sense in your own head.

For me the Rangie is being added to a garage of cars, so it wont be used to blast about in. If I only had the one car and wanted a RR, I'd get a year old SC - but as is, I think I'll take the good advice of driving both the 4.4 and the Td6, and picking the one I think I can live with.

Interesting the know moving on a 4.4 can be tricky.

Post #16568 14th Apr 2010 10:44am
Vogue

United Kingdom 

Topgeartowers

for what its worth nearly all of my shooting friends and other aquaintances have FFRR in their garages. Without exception they also own at least 3 or 4 cars - so they are not the only vehicle they have to live with. Some are bought new and some nearly new to get the benefit of a bit of depreciation (lost VAT!) and also have an element of LR warranty.

The choices they have gone for are always either diesel or supercharged, those owners who are die hard petrol heads and would never buy a diesel always buy supercharged - i.e. you want petrol the S/C is the one people want - a lot hang out for an 05 plate S/C which was available some 2 years before the TDV8.

Post #16570 14th Apr 2010 10:53am
hughjayteens

2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

RRV wrote:

.remind me,how many Ferraris/Bentleys/Rolls/Lambos ofer a TD version??

hardly relevant to compare sports cars/GTs/Limos with an RR is it!

Post #16572 14th Apr 2010 11:13am
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

hughjayteens wrote:
RRV wrote:

.remind me,how many Ferraris/Bentleys/Rolls/Lambos ofer a TD version??

hardly relevant to compare sports cars/GTs/Limos with an RR is it!

Yes it is very much so IMO.

And as per the other question,the TD6 was bought because there was no such thing as a SC back in 2003!!! Thumbs Up If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #16607 14th Apr 2010 4:46pm
topgeartowers

Vogue wrote:

for what its worth nearly all of my shooting friends and other aquaintances have FFRR in their garages. Without exception they also own at least 3 or 4 cars - so they are not the only vehicle they have to live with. Some are bought new and some nearly new to get the benefit of a bit of depreciation (lost VAT!) and also have an element of LR warranty.

The choices they have gone for are always either diesel or supercharged, those owners who are die hard petrol heads and would never buy a diesel always buy supercharged - i.e. you want petrol the S/C is the one people want - a lot hang out for an 05 plate S/C which was available some 2 years before the TDV8.

Thanks Vogue - some very sensible and reasonable advice mate. I think I'll go Td6, as it'll probably be a short term purchase (as most cars usually end up being) and the dream of seeing a trip computer with 30mpg on feels so close!

now I just need to find one...

Post #16678 15th Apr 2010 11:58am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Just seen this on a BMW forum I used to frequent:

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/petrol-vs-diesel/# 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #16717 15th Apr 2010 11:12pm
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

VERY interesting......

So what the calculator is saying is. If I buy a TDV8 for £29k it will take me 60'000 miles before I start saving money, if I buy an equivalent S/C at £25k.

AND the supercharged is better equipped and nicer to drive. Is it really that simple or am I missing something?? Sounds like a no brainer for the supercharged all of a sudden.

Post #16754 16th Apr 2010 3:18pm
Real RR

And that's the conclusion I came to before buying a Supercharged.

Last edited by Real RR on 16th Mar 2011 1:55pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #16756 16th Apr 2010 3:36pm
Turbo Tony

United Kingdom 

Looking at the price calculator link, I decided to look at petrol powered RRs.

It occurred to me that the calculation is based on the 2010 Range Rover, which has better economy than the older models, so the difference may not be quite as astonishing as it at first seems.

What's the difference in spec between a Vogue/Vogue SE and a Supercharged?

Post #16760 16th Apr 2010 4:37pm
RRV

United Kingdom 2015 Range Rover Vogue TDV6 Santorini Black

hoppy_70 wrote:
VERY interesting......

So what the calculator is saying is. If I buy a TDV8 for £29k it will take me 60'000 miles before I start saving money, if I buy an equivalent S/C at £25k.

AND the supercharged is better equipped and nicer to drive. Is it really that simple or am I missing something?? Sounds like a no brainer for the supercharged all of a sudden.

See....this is what I have been trying to tell you!! Thumbs Up If you have nothing nice to say,say nothing at all.

Post #16776 17th Apr 2010 9:04am
Fox

United Kingdom 

Quote:

Does this make an allowance for the fact that the SC will probably be worth less than an equivalent TDV8 when you come to sell it?
As it's cheaper to buy, it'll probably be worth less when you sell it.

Post #16811 17th Apr 2010 4:07pm
hoppy_70

England 2010 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Zermatt Silver

Theres no doubt it will depreciate quicker. I would hope though that the biggest part happens in the first three years. The loss over the next couple of years after should be very similar between the two.

It will no doubt cost more overall to own a S/C but that's reflected in the cost Landrover charge at the start (more!) and the smile it will no doubt leave every time I floor it Twisted Evil

Post #16816 17th Apr 2010 9:01pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

topgeartowers wrote:
I've a work friend who's just chopped in his Zonda for a F40 because he's worried about depreciation - it doesnt have to be logical to everyone, just needs to make sense in your own head.

Would this 'friend' be one of the three TG boys by any chance? Very Happy Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #17140 22nd Apr 2010 8:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>