Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Technical (L322) > Body ECU ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Fame

Portugal 2002 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
Body ECU ?

After being parked ( in Sunny spot at 38C) returned to FF, only to find key dead..Unable to open doors. Managed to open with key turning in door-lock.Engine started but so did alarm. Engine responded to turning on and restarting a couple of times but alarm turning itself on and off all the time.Drove it 50 yards, and the steering felt very heavy as if power steering non -functional. Alarm recycling on-off.Removed negative battery lead, waited 10 minutes, replaced and drove home.(After replacing neg lead, I turned steering wheel to max lock L&R) drove home , along winding roads, but although better, steering not normal, only after about 20 minutes driving, steering suddenly felt as if power box was again functional and normal light feel.The alarm had stopped after the neg lead off, but started again recycling after I'd turned engine off , and then on again.But now, parked at home with neg lead again off, the bl---y alarm kept recycling and turned off after about ten minutes.
A couple of days ago, the CD player stopped with message " no CDs present" but 6 in the cassette. Took cassette out replaced, same result.
Battery 110v Varta, continuous charge with CTek 10 amp charger.
Could these be related electrical gremlins?
The change from high to low gear range acting up too, stays in neutral with yellow mountain flicking on dash and switch ineffective, with engine on -of -on, then responds perfectly, changing to high or low. Seems to happen only after a long run of an hour with high ambient temps.
Possibly body ECU defect? HAS ANY ONE HAD A BODY ECU REBUILT BY A FIRM LIKE TURNERS IN UK?
Thanks, guys, hoping you have answers! Range Rover Vogue TD6 2002
Defender TD5 90Hard Top 2001
Range Rover Classic TDi 1994
Mercedes Benz 1959 220S Sedan

Post #201990 2nd Aug 2013 9:07am
RR2008HSE

Canada 2008 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Java Black

Just a guess, but when a lot of electrical issues suddenly appear, I would check the battery and alternator. Not enough power causes weird things to happen.

Good luck.

Post #202119 3rd Aug 2013 2:17am
Fame

Battery is Varta, about 2 years old.After standing for a day the charge reads 12.6 Volts using a Fluke meter.( I have had readings of 12.4 or even 12.3 using cheap meters before, when using the Fluke, readings consistent at 12.6 or 7 . )When engine is running, I get 14.4 Volt. After a run, on parking, I immediately place the CTek 10amp charger. I think battery is okay? As is alternator?I have not had it on charge now for 2 days, and neg. terminal is off, I'll see what it reads now.As I 'm on batteries now, I often read on the Forums, that a battery only lasts about 3 years. My Defender, has a similar Varta 110 amp and it is the original battery supplied in 2001 , with the vehicle. Only last year,I started using a CTek on it. I drive often on very bumpy roads and vibration should damage plates, theoretically.But , Living in the country, I rarely make short stop, start journeys.
Thanks for your input though. Range Rover Vogue TD6 2002

Post #202122 3rd Aug 2013 7:40am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

not sure whats wrong but your alternator sounds ok if its pushing out 14.4 volts.. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #202141 3rd Aug 2013 8:39am
Fame

Update body ECU.

MoT necessary, so after standing for 3 days with neg terminal disconnected, and without the usual CTek connected, on reconnecting, charge was at 12.8 volt.Started okay and after 20 minute drive arrived at testing station.Turned engine off, set alarm restarted for test and passed with no problems.
On arriving back home, the change to low, again no response from the box, yellow mountain flicking on dash and switch ineffective. Turned off engine, after a minute on again, and on flicking the switch, an immediate change to low range. Flicked switch for HDC, no problem, and parked at bottom of slope. Switch for high range change responded normally
Still getting " no disc" when trying to play Cd, but cassette has 6 loaded.
Hoping not related to ECU . ( my Indie has replaced 2 on his P38 , and here at 1,500 Eu apiece, that's not funny!) Range Rover Vogue TD6 2002

Post #202585 6th Aug 2013 8:06am
Fame

2nd update body ecu

With regard to 3faults all popping up almost together, Indie today put FF onto computer.Result? 3 faults listed for body ECU. Cleared. I'm not optimistic, hope it does not keep on returning with a final failure needing new body ECU. Range Rover Vogue TD6 2002

Post #207086 1st Sep 2013 7:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1