Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > General > Wisdom comes with experience... and I'm short of both.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
topgeartowers

Wisdom comes with experience... and I'm short of both.

Hey guys,

As some of you know I'm currently trying to find a decent FFRR as a second car, and went to see one the other day at Saxtons. I was quite pleased with the condition, but wanted to ask a few questions on here for a guide from you kind souls.

What are the usual service intervals, and are they dictated by time or miles? Car was serviced more or less on time each year, but mileage gaps seem random (16,000, 17,000, 10,000 and 11,000 rounded up/down).

It's got the same tyres front and rear (make, model etc) but they have different tread patterns, which totally confused me. The front looked like standard tyre tread, and the rear were more sporty - like Goodyear Eagle F1s, any thoughts on this?

I read on here to jack the car up to its highest height, then turn engine off and leave for a few minutes (or the time to smoke a fag as it was described) to see if any side sagged. This was excellent advise, are there any other top tips you guys would suggest to check a used car?

Finally, it was the first 4.4 V8 i'd driven in years, and it made a strange supercharger-like whine on throttle, which grew in volume with increased throttle. Salesman made out it was a 'good noise' but I wasnt that convinced - any ideas on here if normal or not?

Thanks again guys, sorry for the newbie questions but I appreciate the support!

TGT

Post #17118 21st Apr 2010 5:34pm
DeltaC

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Buckingham Blue

As long as the rolling diameter of the tyres is the same, its not too much of an issue. (Saying that, I wouldn't mix them but I'm pickie!).

If I was looking at another 4.4 V8, I'd take a 6mm (I think?) Allen key with me, whip the engine cover off and check the breather hoses at the back. I'd also have a good look at the various levels, especially the water. If the water is low, I'd check the radiator and header tank for splits / leaks). I'd probably also take the covers off the heads and make sure there is no oil around the plugs..

Do the usual underneath - have a look at the driveshaft boots for splits and the diff pinions / gearbox outputs for leaks.

Make sure the front diff has got the flex joint recall done.

If it has SatNav, does it work? Check the front carpets for damp, and the spare wheel well. While you are in there, make sure it has the wheel, jack, wheel brace etc.

Switch on all of the lights - see if any alarms come up. Put the aircon on the lowest setting and make sure it blows cold air...

Post #17124 21st Apr 2010 7:32pm
andyw

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

mmmmm my 4.4 doesnt whine on throttle ,but my wife does Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 02 Range Rover HSE Zambezie silver 4.4

Post #17125 21st Apr 2010 7:35pm
EDWARD757

2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Java Black

Another top tip is not to touch Saxtons - I have read many bad things from the internet reviews. I visited once and despite a long journey to get there the testdrive covered about 3 miles. They also cheese me off by advertising most cars as 2008MY!
I am in a similar position to you, in a search for a FFRR but I gloss over the saxton adverts.
Our BMW 540 has the same engine - as mentioned, the expansion tanks crack, the radiator is an area of weakness and the breather pipes perish/PCV fails( had this recently).
I like the engine though. Nice to look at and use.oil pooling around the plugs I understand to be not too bad an issue as the rocker cover gaskets do fail. I do not find my 4.4 uses any oil - a little water sometimes but not enough to concern.
kind regards, happy hunting.
Ed

Post #17128 21st Apr 2010 8:49pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

All good advice above but the bets being to avoid Saxtons like the plague, I have yet to hear anything good about them, and their customer service is supposedly very poor, forget after sales!

There are plenty of good cars out there, Saxton are just one place, and no a 4.4 should not whine at all.

Walk Away. Shocked Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #17131 21st Apr 2010 9:32pm
DeltaC

If you are semi-DIY inclined, most of the issues I listed are minor - PCV hoses, radiator, header tank etc but they put you in a stronger position to bargain. Very Happy You also need to establish that the car is sound before you drive away...

Post #17132 21st Apr 2010 9:33pm
topgeartowers

Thanks lads - I noticed there was oil around a bolt on the side of the main block - no idea what that is, or what it might mean.

There was damp in the spare wheel well - the salesman said it would have been from washing is carelessly - what else could it be?

I checked the cars history by phoning around the dealerships that figure in his service history book, and it seemed really solid - all recalls done, no reccurring electrical or mechanical issues, full LRSH.

They treated me well, but were aware of my job (I'm a producer for Top Gear).

My biggest issue is this whining noise - I'm nearby tomorrow after a meeting, so I'll head back in and have a another look around with any and all tips you chaps give me.

Post #17134 21st Apr 2010 10:41pm
DeltaC

I'd wonder about the whinning... My water pump went at 87,000 miles. Mind you, there was no noise warning.

Take a torch with you and have a look at the belts on the front. On the grooved side, there should be no cracks. Also see if you can get your hands on the water pump pulley and see if there is any play..

Is the whine engine revs related? - May be one of the ancilliaries or tensioners. The water cooled alternator looks like fun to replace and I'll bet its not cheap!

I realise you'd be pushing your luck on the forecourt but if you spray a bit of water on the drive belts while the engine is running, that can sometimes help point at the source of the noise.. The belts on my Discovery used to howl and they shut up when they were wet. Only solution was to replace them. On the 4.4, its a straightforward job, the hardest bit is getting the fan off.

Post #17135 21st Apr 2010 10:53pm
GKP

United Kingdom 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Cairns Blue

topgeartowers wrote:

There was damp in the spare wheel well - the salesman said it would have been from washing is carelessly - what else could it be?

The tailgate and/or rear windows can leak. Not a huge problem in isolation, but the real troubles start when the water, on its way to the spare wheel well, trickles over the various I.C.E. and telephone ECUs in the rear quarter.

I'd probably look elsewhere. There's plenty of Range Rovers for sale from reputable dearships. Not sure you should be reading this bit.

Post #17136 22nd Apr 2010 12:23am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

The whine may be coming from the transmission rather than the engine - I assume you've not accidentally taken a 4.2 Supercharged out for a drive ! Rolling with laughter

Just kidding!

The 4.4 should be smooth, powerful, slightly growly (but in an understated manner) and just lovely to drive.

The water in the spare wheel well could be from a number of known leaks, it won't be from washing the car (who washes out the wheel well?) That just illustrates how they want to lie to you from the start. (Having said that, LR Dealer salesman can be no better Censored ) As said above, the issue comes when water ingress get to the electronics in the NSR compartment. There are a number of Land Rover Technical Bulletins about these but you can only get them fixed for free if the car has official warranty.

PLEASE look elsewhere Confused

LR Dealers are a good bet but of course may charge more, but you have much more recourse for things going wrong or warranty issues, and Pistonheads have some cracking cars from private sellers or independents. There was a thread on here recently where someone asked the 'collective' to assess some vehicles, I was gobsmacked at what you can get for your money these days, especially in the 4.4.

Keep us posted and fee free to ask as many questions as you like, we're here to help. Thumbs Up Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #17138 22nd Apr 2010 8:12am
dan_uk_1984

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Supercharged 4.2 SC V8 Tonga Green

Mine whines Sad Seems to come and go but is worse in the mornings when its cold. It never used to! 

Post #17141 22nd Apr 2010 8:43am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

topgeartowers wrote:

They treated me well, but were aware of my job (I'm a producer for Top Gear).

got any tickets for the show? Thumbs Up 2010 MY Vogue SE TDV8 3.6 Stornoway Grey- fully loaded

Post #17207 22nd Apr 2010 5:58pm
Gazellio @ Prestige Cars

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover SE Td6 Zermatt Silver

Sounds like one to definitely LEAVE ALONE!

Get JC to sell you his old TDV8 for the same money as he only paid a few quid (apparently) Rolling with laughter

PS: Are you Alex, Grant or Andy........?

Last edited by Gazellio @ Prestige Cars on 22nd Apr 2010 6:13pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #17214 22nd Apr 2010 6:10pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

Quote:
got any tickets for the show? Thumbs Up

I was wondering how long... Thumbs Up

Post #17215 22nd Apr 2010 6:11pm
andyw

England 2002 Range Rover HSE 4.4 V8 Zermatt Silver

Quote:
got any tickets for the show? Thumbs Up

when is the next series on telly soon i hope Thumbs Up 02 Range Rover HSE Zambezie silver 4.4

Post #17237 22nd Apr 2010 7:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>