Home > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays > Caravan MOT
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey
Caravan MOT

Had this from the Caravan & Camping Club via email:

Robert Louden MBE, The Club's Director General, is urging all caravan owners to write to their MEP to oppose calls for the introduction of caravan MOTs.

The European Parliament has put forward an amendment to the European Commission's proposals for caravan and trailer road worthiness that would introduce an MOT-style test for caravans.

If the proposed changes to current legislation becomes law, it will affect caravans with a Maximum Authorised Mass of more than 750kg and trailers over 2,000kg.

Robert Louden MBE said:

"The Club fully supports all measures to make our roads safer. However, there is no evidence to suggest road worthiness testing would improve road safety and I would urge members to write to their MEP outlining their concerns and opposition. Caravans have been singled out in these proposals and that is completely unfair."

According to Club and industry research, the primary causes for accidents involving caravans in the UK are driving too fast for the conditions, overloading, poor weight distribution, a poor car-caravan match, and tyre condition.

We have already written to all MEPs but are urging you to do the same. The matter is due to be discussed again. If passed, it would apply from January 1 2018.

Details for local MEPs can be found here and the panel below highlights the key points to put forward in your correspondence.

Key points to raise with your MEP

Only about one per cent of all accidents involved a towed unit, and the majority of those weighed more than 3,500kg.
The main causes of accidents involving trailers are speed; overloading; poor weight distribution; a poor car-caravan match; and tyre condition. These are not necessarily matters that can be rectified by road worthiness checks.
The cost of implementing tests would be better spent on education.
Caravans have been unfairly singled out in the proposals.
Thank you for your help, we'll keep you updated.

Post #209970 13th Sep 2013 8:12am
Contraband

Scotland 

I think it's a good idea. What's wrong with making sure something is safe? I have a Facebook chum who had a perished tyre go pop this summer. He is an idiot. It might stop a potential disaster. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #209981 13th Sep 2013 8:59am
jonlewis

2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue

Tyre condition would be checked as part of an MOT style test. That is one of the Club's principle causes of accidents.

And saying less than 1% is a bit of a deflection as less than 1% of Road Users are towing anything, so what they are actually saying is that you are a little more likely than average to have an accident while towing. Surely this suggest safety checks are a really good idea.

I see plenty of Caravans with blown tyres, failed axles and inoperative/odd behaviour of lights when I travel around the country. 2011 Stornaway Grey 5.0SC Autobiography

Post #209986 13th Sep 2013 9:11am
mzplcg

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Corris Grey

I'm not opposed to it on the face of things but the objections come from the knowledge that the industry are not geared up for it. This will only lead to a need to recover investment in stuff like brake testers, gas-safe equipment etc. All fine and dandy except the testing will be carried out by places who have a vested financial interest in gaining work from failures.

Plus it will probably lead to a registration scheme of some kind which needs to be paid for so expect a caravan RFL on the back of that. All a lot of excuses to tax caravanning in my view.

Safety is one thing and there are plenty of laws already in place to cover that. Having something in an un-roadworthy condition is an offence so bald/cracked tyres, knackered wheel bearings etc are all offences already, or at least they would be if there was any kind of enforcement going on. Cameras can't check this kind of stuff and there's no traffic plod left any more.

We don't need more MOT's, more laws or more cameras. We need enforcement by a sentient being. Besides, on every MOT certificate I've ever seen it always states something to the effect that an MOT should not be taken as an indication that the vehicle is roadworthy. That's a bit self-defeating then really. Doesn't contribute to road safety by their own admission so it can only be a revenue generating exercise, right?

Post #209989 13th Sep 2013 9:28am
KurtVerbose

Switzerland 2007 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

In Switzerland there is a trailer MOT - actually every trailer even has it's own license plate and registration document.

I thought the brakes on mine were good but it failed the rolling road brake test. It's unlikely I would've found out if it hadn't had the test as it's just a parking brake which seemed to work ok - and I park it on a slope!

I often have it fully loaded - 3500kg, and really don't want to cause an accident with that lot flying through the air, so I was glad to find out and had them fixed.

As for the education part - I fully agree with this. I've never had to do any specific trailer training or test. You have to now and I think that's a good thing.

Post #209991 13th Sep 2013 9:45am
TugRR

United Kingdom 

The pikey's will love it ! - it's worth it just to pi55 them off Laughing

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #210014 13th Sep 2013 11:22am
alanm_3

Location: my House, unless I’m not at home, in which case I’m somewhere else.

Scotland 2017 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

You say that like they'll pay any attention to it!

It amazed me when I discovered that the huge mobile cranes and such like don't need MOTs! You can imagine the carnage one of these monsters could do! Got - 2017 SDV8 Autobiography in Loire Blue
Had- 2008 TDV8 Vogue SE in Java black
Had - 2007 S/C in Stornoway Grey

Post #210017 13th Sep 2013 11:29am
TugRR

United Kingdom 

^ The drivers don't come under tacho either . . . .

Thumbs Up Where do you go after one of these . . . ?

Post #210023 13th Sep 2013 11:44am
n1cktdv8

2008 Range Rover Vogue TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Agreed...great idea, some of the dangerous outfits trundling along the road would stop for a start Is this where I put the car details and a bit about myself ?........

Post #210027 13th Sep 2013 11:58am
Alistair

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

I wouldn't mind a voluntary scheme - I've got a trailer and wouldn't even know where to get things like the brakes checked.....

I guess I should contact the dealer really.

Post #210130 13th Sep 2013 8:34pm
Contraband

Scotland 

^ voluntary?? How many people would choose to spend money every year if they did not have to?!! That's the whole problem, people not spending money to keep their kit up to scratch. Previously..
Vogue SE TD6
Defender 90 2.4
Defender 110 TD5
Vogue 3.5 EFI

Post #210140 13th Sep 2013 9:32pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

We are so behind in safety in the UK that i would welcome any form of legislation... Thumbs Up

Post #210166 14th Sep 2013 12:02am
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

There should be some form of basic safety check, but the main thing in my opinion is driver training. Anyone with a towing entitlement can go out and buy a big twin axle caravan, hitch up and go.

Post #210358 15th Sep 2013 11:41am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Question Surely everyone new to towing needs a licence to tow nowadays Noddy... Whistle

Post #210361 15th Sep 2013 11:47am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

...and some training. ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #210848 18th Sep 2013 9:07am
Post Reply  Back to top