Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > do they work or are they just a 5 minutes fix..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
greasemonkey1

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black
do they work or are they just a 5 minutes fix..

hello everyone
just a quick question,has anyone ever replaced the seal in the air suspension compressor on the l322 model ,mine got diagnosed with having a below average working pressure creating the " air sus inactive" on the dash,and iv'e been told that the compressor is a sealed unit and cannot be disassembled,how much of the truth that is i don't know but i have seen the repair seal kit on fleabay and looking into buying a kit to try repair the fault,like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-L322...ff0c0955if anyone can give me some feedback on this issue you'll be doing me a great favour ...thank you

Post #217255 17th Oct 2013 9:33pm
mike & the mechanics

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Galway Green

Never tried my old P38 used to eat them Worse things happen at sea! Well thats what swmbo said when WRENS came to sea!!!

Post #217256 17th Oct 2013 9:35pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue
Re: do they work or are they just a 5 minutes fix..

greasemonkey1 wrote:
hello everyone
just a quick question,has anyone ever replaced the seal in the air suspension compressor on the l322 model ,mine got diagnosed with having a below average working pressure creating the " air sus inactive" on the dash,and iv'e been told that the compressor is a sealed unit and cannot be disassembled,how much of the truth that is i don't know but i have seen the repair seal kit on fleabay and looking into buying a kit to try repair the fault,like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RANGE-ROVER-L322...ff0c0955if anyone can give me some feedback on this issue you'll be doing me a great favour ...thank you

Who has advised you and how did they check?

Post #217259 17th Oct 2013 9:47pm
northernmonkeyjones

United Kingdom 2016 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Santorini Black

I seem to recall on the wheeler dealers program that the tall man managed to get the pump apart but couldnt get hold of the parts at that time to affect a repair so he had to replace the whole unit, but had the parts been available itcouod hav been fixed. If that makes sense.

Looks like those would do the job he needed. There is nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer😜😜
FFRR 4.4 SDV8 Autobiography Santorini Black.
Fiat 500x 1.4 multiair Lounge 2015
2010 LR D4 Commercial 2.7 TDV6

Post #217267 17th Oct 2013 10:06pm
greasemonkey1

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
greasemonkey1 wrote:
hello everyone

the mechanics at land rover west London advised me and they saw the fault as they had a all singing and dancing diagnostic lap top plugged into the port by the drivers foot well...

Post #217274 17th Oct 2013 10:27pm
Rotorboater

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 V8 Bournville

I considered trying to do it but the new pump was surprisingly affordable, Indy changed it and all suspension faults went away & bill was about £300 I think.

Post #217280 17th Oct 2013 11:08pm
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

greasemonkey1 wrote:
Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
greasemonkey1 wrote:
hello everyone

the mechanics at land rover west London advised me and they saw the fault as they had a all singing and dancing diagnostic lap top plugged into the port by the drivers foot well...

Thumbs Up Its easily mistaken for a dodgy battery, thats why i asked my friend... Ide just go with a new one... less hassle Thumbs Up

Post #217286 17th Oct 2013 11:34pm
RR P38

Australia 2003 Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Java Black

Kits are available on Flea bay.......about $45 I think.
So I guess they are serviceable.
Its a pretty simple compressor, the brushes on the motor will most likely see out 2-3 piston rings.......I base this on my experiences with the P38.

Post #217290 18th Oct 2013 12:23am
dnbaker

United States 2004 Range Rover Westminster 4.4 V8 Bonatti Grey

I did the replacement piston ring fix on my '04 and it worked great. Anyone with reasonable mechanical skills can do the job in around 30 minutes or so. The kit I bought came with very detailed instructions which was nice, although probably not necessary. 2004 RR Westminster 4.4 V8
Bonatti Grey/Jet

Post #217294 18th Oct 2013 1:57am
SteveMFr
Site Sponsor

I'd have no reservations about going with a new seal kit too. Not too difficult to install and work well.
The manufacturer (Wabco) and LR would like for you to believe that the unit is sealed and must be completely replaced. Makes them money.

That said it is a question of time & money. Shop around for a new compressor.

mike & the mechanics wrote:
Never tried my old P38 used to eat them

The cheaper kits (like the one in the link above) do not come with a new cylinder - the better ones do. If you buy a new seal and have a scored cylinder it won't last. If the seal is ship, it won't last. Get a better kit with a cylinder and a quality piston ring and your compressor will be just like new. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s
(wife thinks I'm nuts - prob right, too)

Post #217299 18th Oct 2013 6:22am
greasemonkey1

some great positive advise from many ,thank you..will have a go when the kit turns up...the "air sus inactive" came on a while back thought it was something else,had the fault removed now 2 weeks later its come back,apparently the compressor cant build up enough air thus creating the warning on the dash,very prone on the l322 model as the seal corrodes and lets the air out,resulting in a compressor working over time...don't know if anyone else on here is like me,but i hate having something on a vehicle that's meant to work but doesn't,specially when on the range its constantly flashing on the dash and gives you that warning sound when you turn the ignition and take the key out...will keep you guys up dated.. Thumbs Up

Post #217305 18th Oct 2013 7:12am
paneldamage

United Kingdom 

I got the kit from Meerbusch - member on here- that includes the cylinder. Mine was for my 2003 car, however be careful cos the compressor changes to a different type around 06.
The Meerbusch kit worked fine for me, but worth mentioning that my cylinder was in perfect condition when I stripped it down. Still running fine and fast pump reactions about a year on.

Post #217326 18th Oct 2013 8:59am
Jonno

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Autobiography 5.0 SC V8 Causeway Grey

Same as paneldamage - if the barrel is ok then the kit works fine.

Jonno 5.0 supercharged autobiography
Gone-4.4 Vogue Lpg now unmapped
4.6 HSET Turbo Lpg mapped
Gone-Defender 90 200tdi
Gone - 3.9 Sprintex supercharged LPG
Gone - 3.9 Vogue LPG

Post #217420 18th Oct 2013 6:10pm
Andy

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover SE TDV8 Stornoway Grey

Same here- kit from meerbusch. I don't think he gets them anymore though?

Did mine last year and no faults since. Raises quicker than before too

Post #217425 18th Oct 2013 6:20pm
L322RR

Germany 2004 Range Rover HSE Td6 Zambezi Silver

+1, got my kit from from Meerbusch, cylinder head was shot. Now working fine up and down in a minute.

Post #217461 19th Oct 2013 7:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>