Advertise on fullfatrr.com »

Home > Maintenance & Mods (L322) > To face lift or not to face lift!?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
greasemonkey1

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Java Black

Gazellio @ Prestige Cars wrote:
^ Agree and if it puts a big smile on YOUR face then who cares what anybody else thinks Thumbs Up
Thumbs Up never a truer word..spot on ...

Post #218179 23rd Oct 2013 8:08am
wealy

United Kingdom 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV8 Luxor

Thumbs Up

Post #218180 23rd Oct 2013 8:12am
Cam-Tech-Craig

England 2015 Range Rover SVAutobiography SDV8 Loire Blue

Trommel wrote:
Flashman wrote:
less vain than buying a new one just for looks

The 2010-on cars are a big improvement. It's widely accepted that they look worse (or, at least, much flashier).

Vanity would suggest an appreciation only for the glitzy appearance and indifference to the improved vehicle underneath (the bit the owner and driver should surely benefit from most).

I suspect there's a pretty strong correlation between face-lifted/tarted-up Range Rovers and budget Ditchfinder tyres, which should tell you where the priorities lie.

I drive an 07MY TDV8 I have a mate with a 59 reg TDV8 I drive his a lot and IMHO there is no definable difference (apart from the obvious couple of gauges inside) same engine, very similar characteristics. His has active dampers so is a tiny tiny bit more planted in bends. But you really cannot tell much difference...

So for me to get a difference in feel, I would need to buy a 4.4 TDV8... I neither have the incling to spend the best part of £50K on a car neither would I want the stress of owing that much... (my car owes me less than £20K) that's where I see the conversions make sense... Thumbs Up

Post #218187 23rd Oct 2013 8:29am
steptoe

England 

Just because landrover have to change the looks to push a "new" model doesn't automatically mean it's better.

I think the "facelifts" don't look as good as the early cars. Too much chrome mesh, tacky add ons it's all a bit cheshire, fake tan and pinot grigio.

Less is more. Very Happy

Post #218222 23rd Oct 2013 9:52am
Philip

2019 Range Rover Autobiography SDV8 Aintree Green

Cam-Tech-Craig wrote:
So for me to get a difference in feel, I would need to buy a 4.4 TDV8... I neither have the incling to spend the best part of £50K on a car neither would I want the stress of owing that much... (my car owes me less than £20K) that's where I see the conversions make sense...

In what way do they "make sense"?

All you are doing is attempting to make an older car look like a newer car, which it's never going to be. The cost of conversion is potentially the difference between an anaemic TD6 and a TDV8, or a 3.6 TDV8 and a 4.4 TDV8.

Now everyone knows there's a new Range Rover, surely even the most desperately status-obsessed will find it hard to drop the money on something that's no longer going to convince the equally shallow that it's the latest thing.

Casting no aspersions on this side of your business as by all accounts you do a very good job.

Gazellio @ Prestige Cars wrote wrote:
Agree and if it puts a big smile on YOUR face then who cares what anybody else thinks

I bet Jimmy Saville thought the same. He liked all the jingle-jangle too.

Post #218226 23rd Oct 2013 10:09am
Flashman

England 2011 Range Rover Autobiography TDV8 Santorini Black

I love how it all hits a nerve. Without it getting messy or personal about taste or social status here is my solution.

If you like the old shape, don't change it.
If you like the newer shape, change it.

It is your car and your money, who cares what anyone else thinks.

Simples! Very Happy Tom

Current Drive
2011 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography - Santorini Black - Ivory Leather

Previous Drives
2004 Model Vogue Td6 (Touchscreen) - Java Black - Parchment Leather
1994 RR Classic 3.9 V8 Soft dash - Niagara Grey - Grey Leather
1972 Series III SWB Safari - Green (Hand Painted) - Black Plastic

Post #218233 23rd Oct 2013 10:35am
nicedayforit

England 2004 Range Rover Vogue Td6 Giverny Green

^^ +1 Thumbs Up

Post #218234 23rd Oct 2013 10:39am
stan
Site Moderator

Location: a moderate moderated moderator moderating moderately in moderation

United Kingdom 

^^^ +2 ... - .- -.

click link for ,

FORUM WIKI

HOW TO Ǝꓕ∀ꓕOꓤ PICS

workshop manual downloads are in our wiki

Post #218239 23rd Oct 2013 10:45am
Prop

United Kingdom 

I don't see any issue with people face-lifting their car. After all its theirs to do with what they like, not what other people think they should or shouldn't do.

Its a purely personnel thing, and as face lifting in general still maintains the external look of a particular revision of the Range Rover I cannot see why people have an issue with it. You either do or don't like the early or later look, and that's what makes us human, we all have our own tastes.

I have also seen plenty of Range Rovers with custom alterations and again opinion varies, although some of the more extreme versions are not to my taste, but I am sure the person who has this work done is happy with the look.

I for one am not a fan of chrome on the Range Rover but I wouldn't dream of forcing my dislike of chrome onto others.

I would also agree with Craig in that it can make financial sense if you prefer the look of a later car to get earlier models face-lifted. After all you may have a known good car that you want to keep rather than risk buying another car, then there is the financial side, with good older cars costing around £10k to £20k, even if you then spend another £4k on a face-lift this still works out far cheaper than buying a 2010 style car.

Post #218255 23rd Oct 2013 11:22am
Prop

United Kingdom 

+ 3 Thumbs Up

Post #218256 23rd Oct 2013 11:31am
pld118

Scotland 2014 Range Rover Vogue SDV6 Santorini Black
The wheat from the [so called] chav debate

On this thread, it has been suggested that a motivation for people to commission their own facelift of the L322 might be to make an older car look newer so as to give the impression to others that they own a newer and more expensive car. In some cases, that might be true.

Cheap cherished transfers - Reference has also been made to people buying cheap cherished number plates and putting them on cars in an effort to try and maintain a false pretence. People have expensive, moderately expensive and cheap private plates for all manner of reasons. It's not always to play the '10 bob millionaire'.

Facelifting to impress the neighbours - all a person has to do to these days in order to find out the make, model, spec, reg' & age of a car, is to log onto the internet and access sites such as comparethemarket.com (for an insurance quote); and/ or What Car free valuations; and/ or GSF/ Eurocarparts and any one of those sources can in most cases, within seconds of typing in a personalised registration number, confirm the make, model, spec and reveal exactly how old a car is.

Budget ditch finder tyres - I understand the point made reference correlation. How do you define a tyre as a 'budget ditch finder' though?

Thumbs Up

Last edited by pld118 on 24th Oct 2013 10:00pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #218258 23rd Oct 2013 12:06pm
Philip

So, we have established that:

(a) it is entirely wrong to suggest that most people carry out a 2010> facelift on an older car to give the impression that it's newer and more expensive than it is;

(b) only those in the know have any idea of the differences between the three incarnations of the L322, so any perceived impression given to onlookers is entirely irrelevant;

(c) the only reason anyone attempts to update their Range Rover is because they really, really like the look of the newer twinklier lights, sparklier grille, vents and bumper; and

(d) in light of the above, it is good and sound financial sense to spend up to 50% of a car's value on a 2010 facelift instead of achieving 99% of the same effect by buying some eBay LEDs and a £39.99 chrome Supercharged grille.

Makes perfect sense to me!

Post #218290 23rd Oct 2013 4:01pm
Googsy

Ireland 2008 Range Rover HSE TDV8 Java Black

I facelifted mine purely because I preferred the look of the coupled with the fact to buy a newer say 2011 would cost me 80k . I have two years left on my lease at about 20k euro so I will have car for at least another 2 years. Additionally in Ireland we have to display age of car on number plate no private plates here to hide behind. And finally its given me immense satisfaction completing facelift Thumbs Up Present :2008 TDV8 HSE
Gone Audi A5 2.7TDI
Gone Discovery 3 HSE
Gone Mercedes CLK
Gone Range Rover 2.5 DSE

Post #218320 23rd Oct 2013 6:37pm
BrianC

Scotland 

I would facelift one for a few reasons.
1-because I would not spend the money on a newer one
2-wouldn't want the depreciation of a newer one
3-like the look of the 2010 onwards
4-also like a project
Makes perfect sense to me, maybe people who can afford newer ones are just a bit miffed there are older ones out there that look like there's Whistle

Post #218338 23rd Oct 2013 7:57pm
Philip

Re modifying a car you don't own - won't the lessor have something to say about that?

Surprising that the 2010 look with the flashier mesh grille and twinkly lights is the one which has been widely derided, yet seemingly is the one everyone wants. Do people really objectively think it's the best looking?

If you don't want to spend the money on a new one and you don't like depreciation, a good tip would be to not spend up to £4k on a facelift, because you aren't getting it back.

Post #218344 23rd Oct 2013 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>