Home > General > Hi from a possible new owner
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
specman

Scotland 2016 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Aruba
Hi from a possible new owner

Hi all

Just a quick hello, I feel an imminent purchase of a FFRR Vogue TDV8 looming having seen a few over the last couple of weeks. I just need to decide which one to buy and who to trust with the money.
I have seen a few with a towbar mounting bracket lurking under the bumper and several have said "Westfalia" on the type approval plate, there was one Tonga Green at Stratstone in Perth and they said it would have been supplied with it by LR.
One other dealer today though said the towbar from LR is stamped Land Rover and doesn't say Westfalia.
Are there any FFRR on here with a factory fitted detachable tow bar that they could send a pic of please?

I have read the couple of posts on towbars, it will help me decide how much budget to allocate in getting it fitted by the dealer, or possibly sourcing a Westfalia detachable and getting it fitted by the likes of Mike Aitken in Ladybank. Working to a budget (aren't we all!) so every penny counts!

I also see that the info displayed by LR online does not mention pre-heater or TV option, if it is a TDV8 do they come as standard with this option.

Thank you in advance of any help, if need be you can PM me and I will send you my email address.

Post #18661 23rd May 2010 9:48pm
delamo

England 2007 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Tonga Green

Welcome to fullfatrr.com specman Thumbs Up

TONGA GREEN TDV8 is it then - Perfect choice (but I would say that wouldn't I ? Cool )

As far as I am aware the LR towbars are made by Westfalia - regardless of what the stickers say - if you were to buy it from LR (aftermarket/with the LR sticker) it would cost you approx £800+ fitted by the stealership.

A Westfalia towbar supplier would charge you approx £450 fitted for the same product (about £350 for part only) - the big fancy LR showrooms explain the price difference Laughing

With regards to the pre heater and tv - I'm fairly certain that the Vogue spec upwards offer these as standard.

The pre heater is fantastic on a cold winter morning but does strain the battery if used often.

I have never been that impressed with the tv included on the sat nav unit. I have had both analogue and digital tv's but the reception quality depends on the area your are in (Free View channels are available on the digital units)

Good luck with your new purchase - once you've had a proper Range Rover there is no going back Twisted Evil

There is a good bunch of owners on here that can offer excellent advice when you need it - let us know how you get on...

Post #18665 24th May 2010 5:28am
specman

Thanks Delamo, it might be the Tonga Green with tow bar, or it might be a Zermatt silver without a tow bar and I will do my best to get a deal with a tow bar.

The second one has privacy glass, side steps, supercharged grill thingys fitted and even the TDV8 badge slapped tastefully onto the back, no idea how much these options would be to stick on the Tonga Green one.

The Westfalia towbare fitters at circa £450 sound good, need to find out how much it is for twin electrics and to get it programmed to accept the existence of the wiring????

Post #18666 24th May 2010 7:28am
IanV8

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

Welcome to the forum.

I will have to keep an eye open around Fife.

Ian

Post #18681 24th May 2010 1:38pm
JMC

Scotland 2012 Range Rover Westminster TDV8 Orkney Grey

IanV8 wrote:
I will have to keep an eye open around Fife.

I think Gordon Brown is doing that these days too! Laughing The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #18685 24th May 2010 1:49pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

specman wrote:
...to get it programmed to accept the existence of the wiring????

The Range Rover doesn't need programming for the tow electrics Smile

I would also recommend the 13 pin electrics over the twin 12N/S type.

Post #18752 25th May 2010 4:10pm
JMC

Martin wrote:
The Range Rover doesn't need programming for the tow electrics

Confused
So how does it know to switch off the rear PDC when you attach something to the back of it then? Whistle The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #18760 25th May 2010 5:50pm
Fox

United Kingdom 

I thought it sensed the current drain for the extra lights you just connected... ??

Post #18761 25th May 2010 5:53pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

The tow electrics ECU detects the presence of a trailer, and communicates this to the Lighting Control Module (LCM) over the K-BUS. The LCM then sweet talks over the IBUS to the PDC module and gets the rear sensors switched off.

The LCM automatically detects the tow electrics ECU if fitted, so no coding/programming required.

Ner Ner Wink

Post #18774 25th May 2010 9:11pm
JMC

WOW Martin.....That's an impressive answer. Thumbs Up

Do the Disco3 boys know you are so fluent in the superior workings of the FFRR Wink

So why can't the D3 do this trick then? Confused The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile

Post #18788 25th May 2010 11:27pm
specman

Thanks for the input guys.

Martin you suggest I get the 13 pin socket rather than the twin electrics?
How does that simplify things with a Buccaneer caravan which has twin electrics?
Surely it would involve an adapter somewhere along the line to go from twin to single 13 pin, thereby defeating the whole task?

I have spoken with a few people including the likes of Mike Aitken top Indie Land Rover man in Ladybank, they all say the Range Rover does need to to go on the computer to be programmed, so I will take their advice on that one. Cannot escape a bigger bill compared to slapping a towbar onto my Disco 2.

Any suggestions for alternative places to advertise a tidy 2000 Disco2 XS7 - I know of the usual places like Pistonheads/Autotrader/Ebay do not know if there is a better place for this sort of motor?

Post #18793 26th May 2010 12:16am
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 2019 Range Rover Vogue SE SDV8 Santorini Black

CARAVAN??????

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Discovery 4 HSE
1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF
1982 Series 3 Hard Top

*Gone:L462 D5 HSE LUX, L663 Defender 110 HSE, Discovery 3 HSE, 2014MY Range Rover Sport 5.0 Supercharged AB Dynamic; L405 Exec Vogue SE 4.4, 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography, Defender TDCi XS CSW, Defender TD5 HT, Vogue SE TDV8, Vogue TD6, RRSport SC 4.2V8, Classic 3.9 Vogue Auto, Land Rover Series 3 SWB

Post #18800 26th May 2010 8:28am
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 

specman wrote:
How does that simplify things with a Buccaneer caravan which has twin electrics?

If your van already has twin electrics then fair enough, but the 13 pin socket is a much higher quality fitting than the 12N/S items Smile

specman wrote:
they all say the Range Rover does need to to go on the computer to be programmed

Fair enough Thumbs Up

Post #18808 26th May 2010 9:34am
JOKER

Scotland 

That you quoting members Martin ........... Whistle Whistle Whistle Whistle Rolling with laughter ====================================

"Open Mike Night " sounded like a lot of fun until i found out i was going to an Autopsy

Post #18812 26th May 2010 9:45am
IanV8

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Vogue SE TDV8 Santorini Black

I would have the 13 pin socket fitted and then change the van either by rewiring the two leads with a new 13 core cable, although not all used, or by fitting one of these:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...0435085250

I bought one but have not fitted it yet as I want to keep the two coiled leads, don't think you can get a coiled 13 core yet.

Ian

Post #18849 26th May 2010 12:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>